Broken ankle--I have issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I broke my ankle on July 22, 2016 in 3 places. I'm guessing the dislocated bone was included. My problem has always been pain across the top of my foot (the talus, I'm guessing?) My orthopedist has told me my bones, the tibia and fibia, have healed beautifully (surgery gave me a metal plate on the outside ankle and 2 screws on the inside ankle). After 4 months of physical therapy, the pain at the top of my foot has NEVER stopped. Is a constantly swollen ankle EVERYDAY, and the pain at the top of my foot ever go away??? HELP!!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I also have pain on the top of my foot.
    • Posted

Surgery was June 15th, top of foot has been sore since then. I had triple ankle arthrodesis and a big toe fusion and a ligament repair. 11 pins and a plate. A twitch of pain on inner ankle and the top of foot pain. This cold weather is adding to it though.
    • Posted

Hello again,

I broke it on July 22, had surgery July 29, and was non weight bearing until September 12. Like I said, according to my doc, the bones have healed. So I guess I want to know what's up with the constant pain across the top of the foot? I haven't explored the possibility of there being a surgery to fix that.

• Posted

That across the top of foot pain is strange. When I wear a snugger shoe, it is more noticeable. So I wear sketchers. My surgery foot wears a wide fit. My non surgery foot wears a normal fit. I just don't want anything to be getting wrecked with the pain.

• Posted

Hello i think that is common in have the samE problem. I went to a neurologist and pain management. I was put on lyrica in the day and nortriptyline at night. And I am also doing physical therapy. So all of that combines..even though I still feel sore. I had surgery on 11/11/17 and I am on full weight bearing. These r the step I've taken and I also use bitten. Hope this helps u

• Posted

Hello,

I don't know how you feel about this, but it annoys the heck outta me! Ever since my surgery, THAT is the ONLY part I've had an issue with. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever heal! UGH! Also wondering if there is a surgery for this? Do you know if there is?

• Posted

i had ankle/foot surgery in april, had lots of pain in my ankle. had to go back in for surgery, they put in more screws, and plates, and cleaned out the original incision, and found fibrous tissue. thats what was causing all of my pain. i dont have any pain now, and im 5 1/2 weeks post op. i would go back to your surgeon, and find out wha the problem is. i even did norco, and cortisone, and it didnt help. 

good luck

• Posted

Thank you. As I type, I have an appointment on Friday. Hopefully I'll find something out then. smile

• Posted

Hi katy. Have you looked into any herbal or homeopathic remedies for pain and inflamation? such as arnica? do you have a naturopath in your town? There is so much you can do to address pain naturally. I would look into Arnica Montana homeopathic for starters. Also, a gentle form of yoga stretching can also really help. The arnica addresses trauma and the pain that comes from that. I have used it for decades and it really is amazing. good luck. jane
    • Posted

Thank you so much for such wonderful information! I also twisted the same ankle on October 12, 2016, as well. I'm not sure if I reinjured it. It happened so fast, I'm not sure if there was a crack either. As I said, the bone at the top of my ankle has been what's bothered me the most all along. Maybe it just takes time, and I'm IMPATIENT!!! LOL

• Posted

Be careful! You only have 2 ankles and 2 feet. And you actually need BOTH of them to comfortably walk.
    • Posted

It's a TOTAL bummer being one legged! I learned how to be grateful, humble, and appreciative!!! Sometimes it takes the littlest thing to teach us a very valuable lesson, right??? smile

• Posted

Right. Right with you on all of this. One legged race, not even funny. I have never looked down at every square inch like this before in my entire life!
    • Posted

I wonder if I'll ever get back to "normal" again??? Gone with the inner ankle looking like the size of a small egg everyday, the inability to move the foot from left to right with no pain, the return of dorsiflection when I go up and down...*sigh*...one can hope, ya know???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.