Broken ankle issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had a transvese fracure of the medial maleolus and had a operation with two screws. Went to the hospital today and had xrays and cast taken off. Its been 4 weeks and two days since the op and have been no weight bearing. Was told by the consultant that the xrays show that as yet the there is no new growth of bone. This was not what I was expecting as I am a non smoking fairly health male. I am worried about this and dont want to go through surgey again. Is just over four weeks too soon to be worrying? I am due to go back in another two weeks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

I had a tib/fib fracture and dislocation on May 28th with surgery to apply 9 screws and a metal plate on June 5th. It's been almost 10 weeks and I am still only partial weight bearing. I still use my crutches and I have not been able to walk without them.

At 4 weeks I was still only using a wheelchair for the most part. This is a long recovery road and the key is to be patient. Now that you have the cast off it's a good time to focus on stretching the ankle and getting movement back. Maybe a few calf excercises to start getting your strenght back as well.

I hope you can start weight bearing soon!

• Posted

Its too early. You are like me and want it to heal yesterday. But all the research says it takes time. Eat well, red meats, other bone building nutrients, vitamin d, calcium, and stay off it. Wait, did you say consultant? Who would that be? Anyway, if I could stay off completely (take my own advice) it would go smoother.
  • Posted

Hi Kevin,

I am 3 weeks post surgery and have a little under 3 weeks to go. I hope mine fuses. I like you are a non smoker and active. I will follow you posts and hope the two extra weeks help. I wish you the best, stay positive!

• Posted

I will be keen to hear how you get on. I broke my ankle in 3 places last week and am worried about how long recovery will take though I appreciate its early days for me still.

• Posted

I think that I had high hopes for recovery to go quicker, like I am unique. But once I realized that it only gets better when non weight bearing, it was easier to accept the moves w/ crutches, lots of down time, and asking/ letting others help.
    • Posted

Yeah i'm finding that out. I thought 6 weeks and that would be it, but I now know its going to be longer. Being non weight bearing is hard and crutches are a nightmare!

• Posted

My family member was having some health issues and I traveled w/ my daughter on train and bus (w/ crutches) to provide assistance. My doctor was not happy. I think it would have healed quicker had I followed instructions. 
    • Posted

To be honest i've not really gone anywhere since I broke mine, but I am hoping to go back to work once I have my stitches out next week, but I will have to see what the Doctor says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.