Broken implant stem...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I just found out that my implant stem has broken in half. After a week of pain i took myself to the ER....only to have the shock of my life. I did not fall or have ant type of impact to my leg. My THR is only 4.5 years old. Has anyone heard of the happening. Im heart broken and terrified...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Call a auttorney. That's terrible. There is no way these implants should break. I'm sorry for your pain.

• Posted

Glendabear. Oh so sorry.  That must be so painful.  Never heard of  that, praying for you.  Keep us all posted.  Where do you live.  I am in Palm Springs ca. 5 weeks out and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel   Not a easy operation as stated . Stacy.  
  • Posted

Thanks guys. Im in Alberta Canada. I did do some researching this morning i dont know my exact implant ..but i recall the brand being Zimmer. There was a huge malpractice suit BUT last claim had to be in before Sept 5/17. Sigh . Im just going in circles. Cant even phone my family Doc or Ortho surgeon until tomorrow. So my brain is running from bad to worse. Ohh and just in case anyone wanted to know. Im 42 years old.
  • Posted

"...Has anyone heard of the happening...."

Glenda-

Sorry for the pain in your life. Absolutely a shocker, as you say.  As for why it broke: manufacturing defect, surgeon mistake, or patient overload. My guess is the first. The metals and plastics in our artificial joints, are, in the end, just manufactured devices, made by real-world human beings. Outright mechanical fractures are rare these days, the metallurgists having had their say years ago. But still, flawed pieces are made, and Quality Assurance doesn't catch all of them. You are one of the unlucky patients that got one of a bad batch of stems.

You need revision THR, that's for sure. Probably best to pick a surgeon different from your original. But by all means consult an attorney specializing in civil suits against medical device manufacturers.

Probably, medically, things will turn out fine.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I’m in the UK and this happened to me 18 months after having my THR.  It resulted in a revision and a slightly larger stem being implanted.  I sought legal advice only to be thrown out by the hospital in question and told I was just ‘unlucky’.  Hope you have better luck! 
    • Posted

Hi Tech, I’m appalled this has happened. Aren’t these “stems” made of steel? How on earth can steel break? Bone yes, but steel? I’m so sorry.........

• Posted

Dear Sarah

Yes terrible. I think you will find the the stems are usually made of titanium. Could have been a defect in the composition of the metal or a defect such as a large cavity near the edge of the casting causing a weakness. Perhaps quality control should include an x ray of all stems during manufacturing.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

The stem was custom made for me as my thigh bone is twisted so they had to make the implant with a curve in it.  I believe this weaken the material and they didn’t stress test the implant to ensure it could carry weight.  However proving this or getting anyone to admit liability is near on impossible. 
    • Posted

Dear Tech

Well golly, they were not very bright to not invisage the potential danger and to check it's structural integrity. Good luck with the revision!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Sarah, if it were custom made even more reason that it should have not have broken. As you say they obviously did not do proper testing. 
  • Posted

How terrible, there's no way the stem should just break like that. 

Get it fixed asap, then take legal advice.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi. I am so sorry. I have never heard of this and I am wishing you the best outcome. It just seems so unfair. smile

• Posted

glendabear, that sounds like a big law suit , if not the doctor then the maker of it! What are the plans forward ! I had a hip replacement Jan 9 th feb 13 , l sat on couch , for the prior 5 weeks l had been sitting  this time l heard a sound loud like a gear shift of a car!! I knew l was done , l slid to floor an screamed for 2 hours , till door could be opened then and hour an half at ER was pushed back after 3 try’s ! 9 months post nerve pain leg thigh etc . Painbuddy Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.