Skip to content
Ad

Cholesterol Level

Also known as Familial Hypercholesterolaemia, Hyperlipidaemia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Not understanding blood test numbers

Can anyone tell me how bad these numbers really are.  I've been walking more, trying to eat lots of veggies and lean meats.  Will be going for another test soon.  Really hoping I've dropped these some over the last three months.

Last reply
  • Cholesterol Advice

Hi Just got a health check, I am told I must  Follow a low fat diet. Looked online for a plan or book, but can not find what I need. Low fat , vegetarian and IBS. Maybe no book will cover all my health issues, but any suggestions please Many thanks Junie

Last reply
  • How can I raise my HDL?

How can I raise my HDL? I've tried exercising and eating right and no matter what I've tried, my HDL still sits in the 36 to 38 range. All of my other numbers are great. Any ideas? Thanks, John

Last reply
  • Can anyone explain these figures

My Blood Tests have gone from Serum HDL cholesterol level 1 mmol/L  Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 5.9 mmol/mmol Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 4.9 mmol/L Serum triglyceride levels 5.2 mmol/L Serum lipid levels Serum cholesterol level 5.9 mmol/L To this Serum cholesterol level...

Posted
  • Should I be worried about a cholesterol reading of 6.2?

My cholesterol test came back with 6.2, HDL 2.8 and LDL 3.6. I am a 58 year old female who is notoverweight, does exercise 5 times a week (running, gym, swimming, tennis), has excellent blood pressure and eats a very balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg but which is perhaps a bit high in fat. Do...

Last reply
  • What should I do my HDL and LDL is below the normal range?

I just got my health check result last week. On the paper, it states that my HDL is 39 which is below the range(40> and above) and my LDL is 49 which is also below the normal range (60> and above). I live by vegetarian diet. What might be the cause and what are ways that I can raise both HDL and...

Posted
  • 48 yrs old; coronary calcium count 66; normal cholesterol

I am a 48 year old woman and have always had very normal cholesterol numbers. I had a coronary calcium test and my score came back at 66 which surprised my doctor. I also have a grayish ring around the top of my eyes. With my calcium count and the grey ring the doctors expected my cholesterol to be in...

Posted
  • Clarity on cholesterol numbers

Can you help me interpret my cholesterol numbers as it doesn't fall neatly as good or bad? My Total cholesterol is 6.4 mmol/L, HDL is 2.1 mmol/L, LDL is 3.8 mmol/L, and trig is 1.1 mmol/L. From this alone, LDL is in the high range, but my HDL and trig are good and so is the total/trig ratio. How...

Posted
  • Borderline high cholesterol. Put on statin. Is it necessary?

Hi guys. So my doctor told me I can't do anything about my cholesterol levels and that I would have to be on statin for life. Is this even possible? I have changed my lifestyle and I actively exercise prior to this finding. I took 4 blood tests this year. I am 31 and weigh 121 and am 5'2"female...

Last reply
  • My Mum's (71 years old) results- should we be concerned???

My mum was given these results the day before she went on holiday. And was told to visit gp at some point. She has since come back from holiday and my dad was admitted to hospital. Hence the delay is getting to the doctor. Please advise if there is anything we need to be concerned of with my mums below...

Posted
  • Cholesterol levels, for my mum (71 years old)

Hi, my mum had a blood test and we were told to go back to GP as levels were high. The following week, my mum went on a weeks holiday and the following week my dad was taken ill. We are about to make an appointment with the GP as my mum has been very unsteady for the last 8 months, was wondering if...

Posted
  • Leg pain

I am having terrible leg pain and it occurred to me today that it might be caused by my Statin drug. I used to take Lovastatin and I never had this problem on Lovastatin. But when I was in the hospital with a mini stroke in December they changed my cholesterol medicine to Lipator. I don't recall...

Last reply
  • High LDL cholestral

hi I am fit healthy eat no fat but I have had some stress in my life recently .. my question is I have had some results back and my LDL is 3.3 always 2.6 and need ot see my dr to discuss , I am 55 5ft 8 140 pounds not sure what I can do, can reducing stress help 

Last reply
  • First time posting and total Cholesterol is 241

I have had my cholesterol checked for years and I seem to hover aroud 230. I just received results of total of 241, Trigycerides 80, HDL 75, and VLDL 16, LDL 150.  My ratio is 3.2 and is says 1/2 average risk. I had my arteries scanned a few months ago and my arteries were "52 years old"...

Last reply
  • cholesterol 6.3 .what's the best food to eat

Cholesterol 6.3 .but what kind of foods are the best to eat .my cholesterol a few months ago was 5.4 so obviously gone up.I'll be honest I don't eat very healthy .but not sure what kinds of food are good to eat .I've been offered statins 10mg a day which i started yesterday. I suffer from...

Last reply
  • Can eating Sterol spread make you lose weight?

Hi all! I'm new to Cholesterol issues, having been told by my Doc that I have slightly high levels. Given a 4.5% chance of heart problems (low, I know, but he was still concerned). I have IBS, which means I can't eat the usual cholesterol-reducing foods. I thought I'd try a cholesterol-reducing...

Last reply
  • high cholesterol at age 21

just want to know about my problem ..please help ..I am 21 years old male but I used to eat 2 eggs daily meat alot veggies sometimes one night I felt a electric shock like pain which became very sharp and pressing and slowly released like a spread out electricity ..I frightened alot had ecgs,2D echo...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol level + chest discomfort

Dear Friends, 4 months before my cholesterol level was high i.e. Total cholesterol was 272, LDL-187, HDL-36 & Triglycerides-237 and I started taking 10 mg statin tablets and i am doing regular excersize. after 3 months i checked all my tests are normal i.e. Total cholesterol was 157, LDL-87,...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol

I went for blood tests as my bp was high now on amolopidine 10mg a day and its come right down. I had cholesterol done and nurse told me i had really good fats in diet fruit veg etc but bad fats overall was 6.4% is this bad , she gave me script statin but not taken them as spoke to doctor she said try...

Last reply
  • cholesterol levels at age 22

I m facing the some issue I am 22 I used to 185mg/DL got afraid of having heart attack nd by exercise managed to decrease that about 120mg/DL still worried about are there any blockages vessels is there any remedy..I was facing left Arm pain where I had ecgs,2Decho scanning,stress tests ,blood tests,chest...

Last reply
  • I am 25 with high cholesterol 6.2 mmol/l and feel weak to exercise.

Hi guys, Once i was diagnosed with hihg cholesterol im not taking or eating food with cholesterol. Im taking astrovastatin every night and i need to exsercise in the morning. The problem is i feel weak and i cant exercise. Im not ready to leave my son. Please advise Heres my result: https://snag.gy/G0bA7F.jpg

Last reply
  • 8.2 Cholesterol..eeeeek!

Had my cholesterol tested and it came back at a whopping 8.2 which surprised me cause I Mostly eat chicken, salad, veggies and 2 boiled eggs every morning. The red meat is to a minimum. I do smoke and have more than the usual stress lately.....Can this give me such high results?  My LDL - 6 and...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol Trap - Help/Suggestion !!

Hi,   I need some advice from you as I had tried many things and seems I am not getting the result I was hoping for. I am 34 years old vegetarian, non-drinker, non-smoker. I do little/medium exercise occasionally (not rigid).I am watching my Cholesterol from some time now and tried to change all...

Last reply
  • rizwan

hi i do hope you are well, i want to ask you one question, i have bad cholestrol 226 & Triglycerides 535, 2 days before test whole week i was drinking vodaka, & i eat chicken with rice just 2 hours before test, i am not feeling any symptoms, could you please guide me about this situation,...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol levels

Hi Recently got blood tests taken and here are the results: TRIGLYCERIDES 1.37 mmol/L 0.00 - 2.30 CHOLESTEROL *6.34 mmol/L 0.00 - 4.99 HDL CHOLESTEROL *1.88 mmol/L 1.20 - 1.70 LDL CHOLESTEROL *3.84 mmol/L 0.00 - 3.00  As a bit of background, I'm female, 49, 7stone 12, 5 ft 2, pretty fit and...

Last reply
  • Test accuracy

Hi all,  I am a 50 yr old male,pretty fit and work-out/eat well.  I today went for an NHS health check and whilst my blood pressure was 111/78, i was shocked by my cholesterol level.  The nurse did the test but suggested there was'nt much blood taken but,as there was no error report...

Last reply
  • cholesterol comparison

Please see below table i was comparing my cholestrol level in OCt 2016 and Mar 2017. Was happy that TG  level reduced but.LDL is increased to 136. IS tryglyceroid converted in to LDL??I was doing excercise and Diet control to reduce the Trglycroid since 3 months . I am wooried about LDL now.the...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol Triglicerides too high and HDL too low - what to use?

I have been taking simvistatin for a couple of years and should have had my cholesterol levels tested sooner.  It turns out I have bad readings, yesterday were: Cholesterol 164 Tryglicerides 432 HDL 27 LDL 137 I do not trust my doctors recommendations as this med did not work, so I am asking to...

Last reply
  • cholesterol 7.2

Docs told me to make a few diet changes, so i thought i would start with cooking oils, wow how confusing can any one in the uk give me an idea of the best oils butters i can use (brands) i cant find any streight forward lists, im sure this has been asked before. any other tips would be good as well 

Last reply
  • Lipid panel results.

So I'm 22 year old female. I'm 5'4 and weigh 174 I've been in the process of losing weight. I recently had my blood drawn and checked. I don't have any medical conditions. So... My HDL is really low all my other test are within normal ranges but it really scares me. I've...

Last reply
  • Big Reduction since my last blood test

Previously had high cholesterol and very high tri-glycerides since 2012. I've now been prescrive finofibrates which I’ve used most days for about 2 months. Other changes is i've started a low carb diets, lots of eggs, lean meats & some veg (not much fruit  Lastly I viewed another...

Last reply
  • SO frightened only 28 and cholesterol 5.8

So frightened I got checked as high cholesterol and heart disease is hereditary in my family from the 30s I'm so frightened at this high number and worried I'm going to have a heart attack in next year. Please any advice or reassurance from others who have it this high?

Last reply
  • Cholesterol levels higher than normal

I am a 64 year old who's cholesterol levels have always been higher than normal. This is since I started having regular checks from the age of 50, I have never been to worried about them, as my doctors have said that because I have no other health issues, it should be ok. However, as I age, and the...

Last reply
  • Extremely high cholesterol reading

My parter has just received results from recent blood tests and his doctor has called him in urgently as his cholesterol reading is 24! Everythng i read online shows that anythnig above 7 is high but I cannot find anything online for a reading as high as his. His GP has said its the highest he's...

Last reply
  • Lipid Tests

I had general tests done, but of all, my Lipid tests are bit of concern. Fasting Status: non fasting Cholesterol: 5.7 mmol/L ( < 5.0 ) (High) Triglyceride: 4.2 mmol/L ( < 2.0 ) (High) HDL Cholesterol: 0.96 mmol/L ( < 1.00 ) (Low) LDL Cholesterol: 2.8 mmol/L ( < 3.4 ) Chol/HDL Ratio: 5.9...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.