Skip to content

Metformin

All discussions in this group

Next
  • B17Fan 2

Can metformin cause anxiety when it never used to?

I've taken metformin on and off for several years to aid weight loss due to pcos. The last time I tried it. I felt anxious. I have had trouble with oestrogen excess causing anxiety about 2 years ago. But that is under control with BC and AD. This is the first time I had taken metformin since being on...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • kimberly00188 1
  • radmc 1

metformin side effects (PCOS) should i be concerned?

Started taking it about a month ago, 500 mg first week then up to 1000 mg. After upping the dose the second week I developed a sneezy, runny nose which has at this point added a deep cough and headaches. At first I thought maybe a cold or allergies but it gets worse. Anyone else experience this?

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Natty86 2

PCOS and just started Metformin

Hello everyone I was informed I have PCOS last year and it is only now I am doing something about it. Hubby and I are now trying for a baby. When I say trying, we have not used protection for a couple of years and I never gotten pregnant but now we are doing what we can. Anyway, I have always had irregular...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • Dr.Eve 1

Muscle Weakness on metformin???

I have been on metformin for about 3 months and at 3 weeks developed severe weakness.  Subsequently I have had to stop working out (aerobic cycling and weight lifting) due to severe pain in my back as a result of the induced weakness.  I am taking Coenzyme Q10 and B12.  Has anyone else had a simlar problem?...

18 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Guest M

Metformin-how long do you give it?

:? Just had to say that I was prescribed metformin 10 days ago and told to start off with one 500mg for a week then up it to two.Within 3 hours of the first tablet everything hit home, stomach cramps, wind,diarrohea, tiredness and by day 3 I was ready to say to hell with it there has to be something...

• lito 1

Merformin 500mg and food

How much do you need to eat when taking Metformin 500mg. Everywhere i look they only mention with your 'meals' . Now I normally do have a proper meal only once a day, so I would love to know how much do you need to eat if you snacking in the mornings or afternoons Any advice will be very welcome Lito

• glyn186 3

ongoing treatment

I have had type2 since 2005. Whether good or bad decision I signed myself off hospital visits this year as all they kept saying was keep taking the tablets. No discussions ever on why levels wers staying so high even though I was on max metformin and 22ml of insulin in one injection a day. I signed out...

• lisa09190 2

Adding Januvia to the Metformin-anyone else doing this?

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and given Meformin 500mg. I was retested to make sure and suddenly my dosage was raised to 1000mg. I wasn't sure if I was to continue the rest of the previous dosage of 500mg before starting the higher dosage, so I am still taking the lesser dosage to get...

• Guest M

I have been on this 3 times a day for 2 weeks now and so...

I have been on this 3 times a day for 2 weeks now and so far so good only thing is... i have become so itchy. My skin is very smooth and not dry at all. At first i thought it was cos my skin was dry so i layered my skin with vitamin e cream after each shower, but it didnt help. Has anyone else experienced...

• Je n 3
  • Petals 1

Metformin for weight loss, even though you have hypoglycemia.

I take Metformin. I've been taking it for about 6yrs. My previous doctor prescribed it to me in order to help me lose weight. It has had just the opposite effect. I have hypoglycemia. For the last few years my legs have been so weak, wobbly, I get confused and my balance is off. I try to go to the gym...

• rsmith48 1

79 year old mom diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, still not well.

We need advice from experienced patients. In a nutshell, my mom had heart attack while in the process of being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She had a stent put in, heart doc says heart now doing fine. GP put her on Metformin, told her to exercise as stamina would allow. She is getting worse! She has...

• patricia93773 1

Dry mouth with Metformin

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2011. I am currently taking Metformin SR twice daily plus Losartan, Atorvastatin and Omeprazole. For the past 15 months I have had an extremely dry mouth. I have it all the time.  It does not keep me awake but if I do wake up I am cotton mouthed until I have a...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • alex52535 1

Metformin Safe for Non Diabetic Men?

I've read many articles about the possible benefits of Metformin outside diabetes treatment. However I've also read a few articles about health dangers such as heart damage. It seems there is paradoxical information, countering the anti aging claims there's articles stating Metformin actually shortened...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

metformin

just been put on this after being diagnosed typeII started 500mg twice a day now after 1 week thrice a day I have suffered with an acute form of ibs for several years when I first started metformin the bloating cramps and dioreah stopped for a few days great I thought since going on three times...

• rachel67673 1

metformin for pcos

hello i have been perscribed metformin for polycystic overy syndrome, i was just wondering if anyone had any advice on taking it please. I have read there may be side affects. Is this common?

• colin95803 2

Metabet, Bolamyn : are they the same?

I am on slow-release Metformin 1g daily.  Sometimes I am given Metabet, sometimes Bolamyn, apparently randomly.  The Bolamyn is about twice the size of the Metabet tablets.  I have a suspicion that my sugars run slightly higher on Bolamyn and I'm not convinced it properly covers 24hrs.  Does anyone else...

0 replies 1 vote Posted
  • jude65855 6

Looks like I'm diabetic and metformin was suggested

I'm waiting for the results of a blood test today but the practice nurse said that on the basis of the last one I'm almost certainly diabetic: level was 7.1 and should be 6 She said if I am diabetic the gp will probably prescribe Metformin: she already knows that my diet is very healthy and that I exercise,...

• zara99628 2
  • tom76332 1

What next?

I currently take 3 doses metaformin daily 2x500 1x500 2x500 and sitaglipton 1x100 and readings in the last couple months ave 12mmol late afternoon and evening,   getting concerned about whats next?

• Melody145 1

Metformin and alcohol

Hi i have been put on Metformin for my PCOS, but see that it says not to drink with them.  I will be drinking a lot over the next couple of months what with weddings, hen dos and holidays and whilst I know 'binge drinking' isn't good for you full stop I was wondering if it is going to be dangerous on...

• PolyCyster 1
  • sharon165 1

metformin

i am not a diabetic. however, my physician suggested that i use metformin for weight loss.. can anyone say if this is a wise choice? i know the final decision is mine to make but i wanted to have some feedback on the subject. Thank you.

• Guest M

Metformin

I was taken off Gliclizide 6 months ago after 9 years on them. I had never had a problem with them even when I started on Insulin as well. My consultant put me on Metformin 1 three times a day to start with. I started to get breathing problems which thought might be my heart again and after three visits...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

Metformin & Glucouse Levels

I was recently diagnosed with advanced auto-immune hypothyroidism, and once on meds my health seemed to improve... then in jan 2010 my Glucouse level was 6.6, but I suddenly developed Massive thirst and all the classic symptoms of diabetese... and by april it was at 17.1, I eventually went to GP where...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

Side Effects of Metformin

My doctor started me on Metformin, but within 12 hours the side effects had started. I had headache, was feeling nauseous, had tinnitus, severe stomach cramps, very bad wind in my stomach, heartburn, diahorea, a stiffness in my body, felt depressed and generally unwell. The dr asked me to reduce the...

• Guest M
  • Zodiac 1

side effect of Metformin

I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes for just over two years. For the first two years I chose, perhaps foolishly, not to have any medical intervention. 6 weeks ago I had a blood test and was referred to the doctor. My glucose level was 23, two years previous it was 13. The doctor put me on Metformin...

• Guest M

Alcohol Consumption

I am a reasonably heavy drinker. Typically vodka. 4 drinks a night sunday to thursday and more on the weekends. have been managing my type two for several years with diet and exercise. Recently have starting taking 500 mg twice daily of metformin. Have not seen any drop in my sugar level readings....

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

easy now!

Please listen to the doctor when they say gradually increase the dose of the medication. I am meant to have 3 tabs a day and so thought i would get a kick start and have 2 for a few days and then go on to 3. Bad idea! couldnt leave the house for a whole day as was feeling sick and had dirrohea. next...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

METFORMIN IS HYPOGLYCEMIC EVEN IF USED ALONE

COMMONLY IT IS STATED THAT METFORMIN IS ANTIHYPERGLYCEMIC DRUG AND DOES NOT CAUSE HYPOGLYCEMIA UNLESS COMBINED WITH OTHER ANTI-DIABETIC DRUGS.THIS IS NOT SO IN MY EXPERIENCE.METFORMIN EVEN IF USED ALONE WITHOUT OTHER OHA COMBINED,DOES CAUSE SIGNIFICANT HYPOGLYCEMIA.

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

Metformin

I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, diabetes and high Chlosterol all in one go at the beginning of March 2007, I was prescrbied Metformin, I was losing a stone a month in weight, although have now stabilised. I have lost 3 stone in weight, I was not particularly overweight to start with, and got...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

metormin

my doctor has increased my metformin to 850mg 3times a day from 500mg twice a day the only thing is that i have trouble breathing sometimes like i can't get a deep breath is this normal or is there anyone out there that as had this please let me know how you dealt with it :cry:

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • pdes 1

Metformin - reverse effect!

I have been \"watching\" my sugar levels for over a year. When it reached 12 four weeks ago, I threw in the towel and went on Metformin. I have only missed one dose in the period and I am on three x 500mg per day. I was booked into hospital for a minor op yesterday but during the pre-op check,...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.