Skip to content

Proctalgia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Guest M

Attacks when i'm on my period & during the day

The attacks described on this forum are exactly the same as what i've been experiencing for 4-5years now. I get a stabbing/pressure pain in my butt that feels really deep inside and like something in there is about to burst! It lasts for minutes at a time and comes without warning although i can usually...

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

Proctalgia Fugax

I have had this problem since my late teens or early 20's. As I get older (now 56) this pain is coming much more frequently. The pain generally comes when I am sitting or in bed, which is fortunate since the pain is so severe it is very difficult to do anything until the pain subsides. Each episode...

211 replies 5 votes Last reply
  • andy16 1

Proctalgia with fainting ?

Since the beginning of this year I have been experiencing what I think is Proctalgia by it's description but when I get it the anal pain is excruciating where I experience nausea, a cold sweat and dizziness and fainting, I always faint after which when I wake up the pain has gone completely. It happened...

13 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • ashley29503 2

Proctalgia fugax is ruining my life

Hello everyone, I'm just hear really to see if I can find some support to help deal with this god awful disease and also to find out if others are experiencing the same thing I am really. The attacks started about 5 years ago now it's pretty standard and the attacks are always the same, I awake in the...

35 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • cristian89782 2

Not exactly sure what this is

After reading most of you post I'm not sure if I am in the same boat with you guys. Here's my story. It all started about three months ago. I am a personal trainer therefore I work out a lot. Also I thought I might have a history of hemorrhoids. But this one was a little different. It wasn't quite...

• grazey 2

Proctalgia - why?

I have suffered the pains in the rear end for 40 years.  I take a number of medicines for various complaints.  Reading through readers comments there would seem to be a lot of variarions as to the intensity and occurrence of pains in the rectal area.  Maybe P.F presents differently in various  people...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

I am 42 and have suffered with proctalgia fugax for appr...

I am 42 and have suffered with proctalgia fugax for approximately 10 years. My mother and her sister also suffer attacks. My attacks have been infrequent, approximately one per 1 month but have shown no pattern. They generally occur in the evening and are often preceded by a loose bowel movement or a...

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Phil R 1

POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH. It could be EATING NUTS causing this.

I had been suffering on and off for a while and had a real bad spell around Christmas a few years ago. I remember scoffing a load of nuts just beforehand from one of those large tins which they sell twiglets, cheeselets etc in. As there is no knowledge on what causes the attacks, I was wondering if eating...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • lizzie1976 2

Pain / pressure in rectum and constant need to urinate

Hello , Can someone help me please ( This last week or so I've had a constant throbbing pain in my anus and the need to go toilet a lot but only pellet like stools . I've also had the terrible urge to urinate constantly with some burning sensation . Does anyone know what might be wrong , I've been...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • darren75 2

Anal cancer worry

Going out of my mind at the moment and feel like I've run out of options. So I've been having really severe anal pressure and itching for a couple of months now. The first Doctor I went to did a visual examination and said that I had piles and gave me fybogel and anusol hc. The fybogel basically stopped...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • green90239 1

Just been "diagnosed"

Hi all, Have just visited the Doc after suffering in silence for almost 3 years. 31 year old female. Symptoms started around the time I became a chef 3 years ago and I'd say I have an "attack" every month or so. I've been woken in the night only twice but they certainly were the worst attacks. I've...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • lizzie1976 2

Anal pressure and pain is scaring me 🙈

Hello , I was wondering if anyone here could help me as I'm quite worried . I've been have a constant throbbing pain and pressure on my rectum for about a week . It's worse when I sit down . Also , my stools are quite soft and infrequent and I always feel the urge to go but never feel I've emptied my...

• sue39309 1

Symptom pattern including PF; possible clues to process.

I'm a retired GP and was always aware of the multitude of symptoms that people experienced that didn't appear in the text books, particularly rather nebulous non fatal ones. Now that I'm in my 70s, I'm having a chance to experience more of them myself, including over the last 3 years intermittent abdominal...

0 replies 1 vote Posted
  • jkcardin911 1

Proctalgia symptoms possibly?

I haven't been diagnosed yet but I'm pretty sure I have a form of proctalgia. It started about 3 months ago. I thought it was just hemorrhoids. I've dealt with them for 8 years now, since the birth of my first child. The pain was extremely worse and the regular meds/ creams were not helping. After...

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • mikey3046 1

Finally, something on Proctalgia!

I am a 42 year old male. I have been suffering with Proctalgia since I was in high school. For decades, I would hide it thinking I was cursed or something.  I have gone 8 years without an episode, then back with a vengenence. The only way I can describe it is it feels like an alien trying to explode...

• WorriedMum 1

My 12 year old- poor kid!

I really need some advice and reassurance. My 12-year old son has been really ill with tonsillitis (a week of antibiotics and not eating), culminating in an attack of PF two nights ago, which (as we both didn't know what was going on and were frightened) lasted around two hours, coming in waves almost...

9 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • b25663 2

Proctalgia

Have suffered from this since my teens. Now in my 40's still dealing with this horrible whatever it is.  Get it about every couple months, usually at night, wakes me up.  Had one last week in the afternoon, lasted for 45 minutes, about passed out.  3 out of us 4 sisters have it.  I need to know how to...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

now i know what i'm suffering!

Hi I'm a 48 year old female and have suffered from this awful pain since I was about 15. When I was about 20 it was so bad that I fainted on 2 occasions - once hitting my head on the washbasin, knocking myself out for 10 minutes! I get an attack maybe 10-20 times a year, and I can see a connection with...

2 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Guest M

Proctalgia Fugax

:D I have been medically qualified since 1947. My first experienec of this condition, which I would describe as rating 10 on the pain scale - no other pain I have ever endured has anywhere near reached this score - occurred when I was still a medical student, subjected to multiple night call-outs...

• abbas76384 2

pain in middle of butt crack

for the past two days i have a really bad pain in the middle inner part of my butt crack, it hurts really bad i have hard time sitting, driving or sleeping. i check the area there is no lump, or any thing . can you guys tell me what this thing would be, or tell me what of kind of doctor will check this...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • leesa56475 2

Help??

Hiya, my issues started suddenly one morning almost 2 yrs ago,,never suffered from stomach/ bowel probs prev...woke up feeling so sick, loss of appitate no energy , stomach cramps and a pressure feeling in my back passage and women's area,,,,GP did lots of tests ESP for ovarian cancer n all clear, lost...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Amy1354 1

Proctalgia Fugax

i had surgery a week and a half ago for a fissure tear and hemorroids but I have these spasms and so I looked up what they describe as a proctalgia Fugax. It described exactly my symptoms. I do not want to go through surgery again and I truly want off the pain meds. Does anyone know if a liquid diet...

• james40704 1

Proctalgia remedy that works for me

I have experienced proctalgia for over 30 years since my late 20s, 4 to 10 occurences per year, practically all of which occur at night, often many months between bouts and no identifiable cause. I have found a way of managing the occurences that works well for me. A 1 cm squirt of Germaloids ointment...

• hollyollyoxen 1

Proctalgia Spasms @ 23 years old

Hello Affected ones, I'm 23 girl, live in TX, am fairly fit, definitely active, and happened to come across this discussion which is oddly surprising, since obviously this condition has a wide range of victims. I would say it started a few years ago, but now that I'm 23, I've noticed it has happened...

• Guest M

My relief from proctalgia fugax

I have suffered from proctalgia fugax for 25 years. Every attack was very painful. Usually they happened at night, but sometimes during the day. Then 5 years ago, I woke up at night with an attack,the pain was so bad, I grabbed a jar of \"Noxzema\", put a fair ammount up into my rectum as...

• neuck 1

Proctaglia Fugax

Hi, Our son has been diagnosed with proctaglia fugax.  all I've read about it says that it is episodic - with no pain between the episodes.  He does have pain between the episodes.  Could this still fit under a diagnosis of proctaglia fugax?  Another reason we doubt the diagnosis is that in 2013 he had...

• Guest M

please try the following

Hello Fellow Sufferers I have suffered with this condition since I was about 12 and I can honestly say, its the most painful thing I have ever experienced - I have tried various different things in the past -ie, warm baths, pacing, sitting on the toliet however none have these have really worked. Now...

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • Guest M

Anal Spasms

My mother has been admitted to the hospital due to a fracture. Since then she has been having severe rectal spasms. They started with constipation. The spasms come in intervals and last for seconds or minutes and then go away. They last till she has passed the stools. Then for three days there are no...

• Guest M

Flecainide and PF

I had PF every 3 months or so for about 5 years until starting Flecainide, an anti-arrhythmia agent with topical analgesic properties, about three years ago. I then never had a single attack. 7 days ago I stopped Flecainide, and have just experienced my first recurrence of PF. I find a strong dose of...

• Andrewbs 1

Am i being daft??

Hi to everyone and hope you are all well. Haven't been around for a while but do have a read now and then. Thought i would post this with perhaps a daft question. So far this year i have been very lucky and not suffered too much with attacks which usually occurr at night. On top of this i have not been...

• Guest M

Drinking water at first sign stops mine

Hi, I'm not even diagnosed, but reading all your posts sounds very familiar. Pains every couple of weeks, for ten or more years now, only during the night. Starts as a sort of ache and gets so bad I sweat, bend, pace around and feels like I have to poo, but I don't, and it lasts for hours. I found drinking...

• cath24 1

Does this happen to you??

Hi, just wanted to add my experiences to this site, which I have found most interesting. I have suffered for about 3 years with proctal fugax, diagnosed earlier this year. My pain starts with sharp stabbing pains in the lower abdomen. This can last on and off for hours. Then I get the intense pressure...

• Guest M

Drug free pain relief

I have had this since my children were born, and have found only 2 things which really help: codeine (prescribed for somthing else and horrible side effects) and an anal vibrator. Buying one may be almost as embarrasing as taking yourself to the doctor, but it definately works for me and beats getting...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Kurt Karlsson 1

\"Pockets in the Colon\"

I have had proctalgia for 25 years. In 1985 I had an exam of my colon because of some discomfort,( but not severe pain ). After the tests, the doctor told me that I had \"pockets in the colon\". I was told that these pockets can occassionally fill with bits feces....or even undigested...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Guest M

What a revelation!

Wow. It's half one in the morning and I am sitting in front of my computer having been woken again by what I now know to be a Proctalgia Flugax episode. I have had these attacks since 9 or 10 (now 41) up to 4 or 5 times a month at its peak. They would normally last for at least an hour or more and...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.