Skip to content
Ad

Sulfasalazine

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Experiences on Sulfasalazine?

I have just started Sulfasalazine, i am upping my dose over the next 4 weeks, i have been reading allsorts about it and it's side effects, i am just curious to hear about people's experience on this medication good and bad! The DMARDS scare me a little if i'm honest.

Last reply
  • Fatigue?

Has anyone experienced fatigue with sulfasalazine? I've always been tired with arthritis but this is making me feel exhausted and I'm only five weeks in.

Last reply
  • need help

Dear all, I was taking Salazopyrin from over a month,I started getting acute stomach cramps,nausea,dizziness,headaches. I stopped the medicine after speaking to my Rheumatologist but I still have dizziness,nausea,my feet are swollen bad. Any suggestions?

Posted
  • Side Effects- Sulfasalazine

suffering terribly with diaorrea and stomach ache with this dmard, anyone had experience of how long these side effects last, don't think I could manage much more, had the sides effects for only a week but trips to the loo are in double figures daily and my quality of life is terrible as I cannot...

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine

My partner has been on this medication for years now but I have read that it can affect fertility. Can the effects be reversed?

Posted
  • My sister is now going on sulfasalazine!!

After a year of pain with inflammatory arthritis of the knee, and fluid in the  joint, being mostly housebound, my sister was put onHydroxychloroquine for 6 months, with no affect.  They are now suggesting Sulphazalazine or Methotrexate...what can she expect with the Sulph.........if she tries...

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine- good experience!

Read a lot of bad experiences here and just thought I would give you a good one just for balance. When I first started taking sulfasalazine, I could not tolerate it, gave me very bad dizzyness and I actually thought it was causing joint pain. So reduced it to 1.5g a day, started MTX, had lots of chest...

Last reply
  • Any good news?

If you've had success on this medicine please let me know, I have been on it about 3 weeks @ 1000 mg per day. I am managing it pretty well so far, after getting past the initial headaches. I am so hoping that this works for me and that I won't have to add drugs to the mix. If it's working...

Last reply
  • SI JOINT PAIN! I am stumped and discouraged

I was hit by a lady who ran a red light. I was diagnosed with right side SI joint damage. I have gone walk mainly on my left to lessen the pain on the right. I recently started taking Celebrex. It has worked ALOT on the SI joint pain on my right side. What I do not understand is as soon as Celebrex stated...

Last reply
  • medication for RA

Sulfasalazibe .... i am now well into this medication taking 4 500mg tablets a day, I have recently started getting really bad cramp in my leg (its the leg that i have the problem with) its that bad it wakes me in the night and makes me scream out in pain my whole leg cramps so hard, any ideas if its...

Last reply
  • problems with mood swings

was on this drug for three months and it nearly cost me my marriage as my wife said it changed my personality, it also affected my libido and this has still not come back to normal. Changed to asacol and was a changed person for the better but still have erectile problems

Last reply
  • Recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.

Was on sulfasalazine twice a day. Dr called said labs were elevated so I stopped taking for 5 days .He called said it was back to normal. I resumed taking but am back to pain in all my joints. Will the pain go away after the meds build back up in my system or did I screw up?

Last reply
  • I was diagnosed with having psoriatic arthritis about 2 ...

I was diagnosed with having psoriatic arthritis about 2 years ago. I have been taking 4 tablets a day since January 2006 since my symptoms significantly worsened. At the advise of my doctor, have increased my dose to 5 tablets a day in the past 2 months. I'm finding the only affect the tablets seem...

Last reply
  • Anyone else suffered sjs after taking sulfasalazine

After taking this med for almost 4 weeks I developed a terrible skin rash and itched like mad. Facial swelling etc, eventually I was diagnosed with Stevens johnsons syndrome after a skin biopsy. I'm now terribly worried about taking any new meds for my psosartic arthritis. I can't take methotrexate...

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine for 6 weeks/no results

Hi I have SpA.  Most pain in SI joints and lower spine.  Doing lots of pain mangament eg massage,diet, acupuncture, exercise,rest.  And NSAIDS didnt help.  NOw Sulfa/DMARDS for 6 weeks is no improvement.  The pain and fatigue is getting worse with burning sensations and spreading....

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine

I've just been advised by my doctor to stop taking this.  I built up to 4 a day and have felt so ill.  I've experienced dizzy spells, headaches similar to that of the worse hangover ever..  Jelly like legs, aching bones and extreme tiredness. I was put on this due to being diagnised...

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine

has anyone had a cough with Sulfasalazine a tickly clear your throat cough . my crp has gone up 120 sice taking  ,now on iron tab. taken preds for 5 years also on naproxen for arthritis

Posted
  • Sero Negative Arthritis

I have been treated for 5 years for PMR and GCA high dose steriods other drugs that have made me very ill .at moment i am on 9mg pred and naproxen as a stop gap for pain. they are now putting me on sulfasalazine to replace mycophenolate. has anyone taken this line of medication and if so what result...

Last reply
  • i dont know what to do

i have been on sulfasalazine now for 3 weeks as well as 10mg of steroids for seronegative arthritus, i am having constant headaches every morning and lasts most of the day, my eyes are blood red and my face and cheeks and puffy.   is this normal and will it calm down or should i consider stopping...

Last reply
  • I have

been taking Sulfasalazine for 18 months now, combined with Hydroxychloroquine, and have had no side effects at all. The combo has given me respite from severe RA pain and I am very very grateful for that. Please remember that yes, many drugs we have to take sound nasty and do not suit everybody but I...

Last reply
  • Pain Managment

I have diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis which is effecting my neck, back and many other places, and osteoarthritis in my knees etc. The doctor said 90% of my body was full of inflammation, so I finally broke down and took Methotrexate for 6 weeks.  I felt the usual "Fog"...

Last reply
  • sulfasalazine Not working

i have been on these for best part of a year now and am now on 6 daily and all though the inflamation markers are showing a big decrease i am still in as much pain, despite taking Tramadol and Co codimal as well. Has any one had the same problem and where do you go from there? Recently i am having problems...

Last reply
  • Taking Sulfasalzine and 600 mg Motrin, how long to wait in between?

I am prescribed Sulfasalzine for Crohns Disease, the dosage is four 500mg tablets twice a day. I also am taking 800 mg Motrin to reduce inflammation from a recent surgery (yes its been over 2 weeks so its ok to take blood thining meds like Advil or Aspirin) I was wondering, what would be a good enough...

Last reply
  • Sulfasalazine EC tablets. Joint pain and tired

Hi I'm a 24 year old male, iv been on these tablets about 3weeks now for UC I used to take salofalk mesalazine granules for 3years I felt better on these not 100% tho. Since I started these I'm getting really bad aching pains in my legs hips, knees, ankles everywhere really,  also I am constipated,...

Last reply
  • sulphasalazine has anybody gained weiggt???

I have been on these tablets for nearly a year and I have gained 2 stone in weight but also have injections in my knee, hip, hands & toes so not sure if either of these have contributed in my weight gain?? Im also very tired and moody. Please help advise

Last reply
  • Altered taste

I've been on Sulfasalazine for about 5 months now and to begin with I was taking Naproxen for the stiffness in my fingers.  I stopped taking Naproxen about 1 month ago as I have a history of Crohn's and I began to get stomach pains.  Since then some of my fingers have ballooned and...

Last reply
  • down n out

:roll: been takin sulf 4 12mths at 1st it helped lots relieved pain n stiffness then i became tired constantly and moody swelling/pain in my right hand is constant and effecting my work and my marriage..just learning t live with arthritis is proving tricky am taking 3 tabs twice a day !!!

Last reply
  • what does everyone do about work?

i,m interested to know what everyone with R.A or psoriatic arthritus or similar does for work as i had to give up work, against doctors advise, because i was feeling like crap at work and couldnt carry out half my jobs in the time others could. i was a groundworker on building sites so yes very physical...

Last reply
  • My daughters only 3 and on sulfasalazine

I am really worried after reading the earlier posts as my daughter has been put on this medicine 4 times a day by Great Ormond Street but she is too young to tell me if she has any side effects and no one has mentioned blood tests, she is due to go back in 7 weeks. Should i insist on blood tests or wait...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.