Bruising 13 weeks TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I still have bruising in 3 places leading outwards from stitches They're not painful but very unsightly thats me wearing trousers for ever or will they fade 😂😂

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan!

I wondered the same thing!

I'm nearly two years post TKR surgery with my left knee, and it is a very thin silvery line. My right knee was done three and a half months after my first and is almost as faded as my first knee. It has a bit more bluish/ purple colour to fade near the knee itself. The lower section and upper section are both the silvery lines like the first knee.

I've used various lotions since my staples were removed two weeks post surgery. It took about a year for the sensitivity to diminish enough to wear my jeans. Prior to that I wore soft yoga pants and soft yoga Capri pants.

The scars were sensitive to sunlight, so I continued to wear my Capri pants in the summer that first year.

Now, at nearly two years I am not bothered by any of these prior issues.

My scars are my badges of COURAGE! They are badges of COURAGE for ALL of us!😊

Wishing you continued success with your recovery!??

• Posted

Cheryl, it is so reassuring to know that you are now back to normal & not having scar sensations. I'm only 14 weeks & scar is SO sensitive.its great to know that in time it DOES recover. Im sure the silvery line is the scar tissue & we all have it at some level as it's needed for healing.my scar is neat. I too am not worried @ scar surely after all we've been through it's the last thing to worry @ , I would just be grateful it's wholly recovered. & yes even 'proud' I've come out the other side. Happy days

• Posted

Joan, I'm almost 9 weeks post TKR now (just had to check it because it feels like a lot more and was surprised it was only nine weeks).  The area around some of the scar is still dark red/a bit purple looking and when my leg gets colder I can still see the odd dot from the staples here and there - shows up as purple.  But it's very early days still and everyone says these scars will fade to a white line.  Personally I'm not at all bothered - never been a 'skirt' girl and am really proud of my scar LOL!

• Posted

I get a lot of bruising after surgery but this does seemto be going on for quite a long time. They may fade.

Sarha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.