Brushing

Posted , 2 users are following.

i see the mention of brushing in TKR recovery. What does this mean!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Are you referring to dry skin brushing? I do it every second day to help with circulation, nerve stimulation and skin tone. I combine it with massage of the leg and  scar.

If you wish to try it you should discuss it with your GP first as apparently people with certain conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, eczema, psoriasis, rashes, skin that is broken, non-healed wounds, or skin infections shouldn't do it.

Jodi - 13 weeks post op

• Posted

Yes, but how is it done? What do you use? 

Thanks, Jodi

• Posted

I use two natural bristle brushes; a firm one for legs and arms, which is round with a strap across the back to slip your hand under, and a softer long handled one for torso front and back (I bought mine at a pharmacy in Australia, but you can buy them online, just search on dry skin body brush). 

I do it in the shower before washing; on dry skin. Simply start at the foot and brushing small sections at a time, work your way up the leg to the groin. Don't press too hard (especially over any scars), this should be pleasant not a prison scrub. Always start at the extremeties and work towards the centreline of the body i.e. feet to groin, hands to armpits. Gentle over torso.

After brushing start with a cool shower and then warm up. Moisturise really well after showering. You don't have to do your whole body, but your skin should feel so soft after just a couple of brushings that you'll probably want to. 

I'll reiterate my point from my first comment, it would be a good idea to discuss with your Dr before you start any new physical regime.

• Posted

Thank you, Jodi. I will ask him about it tomorrow. He might not even know what it means. I do have type 2diabetes, so I won't do it without consulting first . It sounds good though. I bet the skin is all warm after. 

• Posted

You're welcome,

Yes, your skin does feel all tingly and warm. My skin also goes very pink for about an hour afterwards. 

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.