Buffing up!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

My name is Kayleigh, I live in Leeds and I'm 21 smile

My health, to me feels fine. My BP has always, always been good apart from last week, which is why I approached the offer, i'm active and energetic. I guess I just don't feel overweight if that makes sense although I am, very!!

My doctor has prescribed me orlistat after losing weight but putting it back on and me being at my wits end. I am 19st 8lb's now, my heaviest I have ever been, although my doctor was surprised and said I hold my weight well, LOL.

I guess I'm just starting out and trying to find as much out as possible before starting the tablets so that I am prpepared. I have a couple of questions I wondered someonecould answer for me smile

Whats an example of what you would eat in a day whilst on these tablets, breakfast dinner and tea. What do you eat for snacks? Just fruit and veg? Also, i'm not a massive drinker, is it required you guzzle a lot of water whilst on them? Also, what foods have you found you need to avoid?

I just want to be thinner to help my body more, because carrying this weight can't be good for it, can it!

I also wondered what exercise people have been doing alongside this? I attend pump it aerobics once a week for an hour and dancersize once a week for the same time. I do find exercise tedious although I like these classes and am very busy day to day, so I wondered if i could continue this for now and when i'm fitter up it?

Any advice would be much appreciated smile

Also, WOO to all those weight losses I have been reading about!!

Kayleigh xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hun

I live just outside Leeds!

I am just coming to then end of month 2 on these. My diet has not changed much and tends to consist of:

Brekkie - toast and low fat spread or cereal

Lunch - ham salad sandwich, home made soup or stuffed pitta breads

Tea - Varies from casserole and veg, pasta with small amount smoked salmon, roasted meat and veg with yorkshire pud etc etc

I snack on rice cakes, fruit, hummous, sometimes a slice of bread

I dont drink a lot of water but i know I should do better on this score!

As far as food goes, I aim for between 10 and 15g fat for my lunch and tea. I have less at breakfast but that is fine with me!

Exercise I am the worst at! I have no motivationf or this but am trying to change this. I boiught a cross trainer recently so am building up on that at mo (can only do 5 mins at a time at minutes) and will be getting davina's new DVD. I love all her other DVD's so am going to aim for 3 times a week

As far as what to avoid goes, probably stating the obvious here but no takeaways, cut fat off meat, be wary of cheese portions,some fish is high in good fat but it is fat all the same. Stock up on veg to bulk your meals out - I now have less meat and more veg to cut down on fat intake

Sme foods are trial and error I am afraid. You will know when you have done something wrong and trust me, you wont do it again!

Good luck with it

• Posted

Oh god, knowing when I have done something wrong scares me LOL!

I qondered, how do you calculate the fat in meat? and portions etc? Just weigh it? and guess using the weight given on the pack?

I mean, say you bought a pork chop, cut the fat off and grilled it, how do you know how much of that chop you can have? Same as amount of new potato's? Do you just go by the palm hand size portion rule?

Sorry, new to the whole weighing things etc... I just cook what looks to me as a normal portion, pork chop, 4-5 new potato's and veg?

• Posted

there's a website called food focus, it's free to register, and there's a fat calculator on the website.

Hope this helps

Gill

xxx

• Posted

I bought a great book called The Calorie, Carb & Fat Bible, This book lists most foods, their calories, fat and carb content per weight / portion.

So, for eg with Pork Chops, I weigh them, check the bible and then use that as my guide for the fat content. Average sized chops are around 5-6g fat when grilled

KayMarie, I was scared like you when I 1st started of going wrong but to be honest when you go wrong it is actually a great learner. There were foods I ate all the time not realising how much fat was actually in them (i used to do weightwatchers so was used to checking sat fats only!). I am now coming to the end of month 2 and have learnt a great deal about what I eat, what foods I shouldnt eat, what I put into my body etc.

Try not to focus on the negatives of making a mistake - we all do it! Just focus on what you can do and write down each meal and fat content to re assure yourself

xx

• Posted

Thank you ever so much ladies, I will look up both of those suggestions! I just don't want to have an embarrassing woopsie at work or a patients home etc.. LOL. I'm trying to avoid that!

You've both been a massive help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.