Bump next to incision where gallbladder was removed from

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been a week tomorrow, 2-24-18, that I have had my gallbladder removed. There is a bump right next to my incision where they had removed my gallbladder from on my upper stomach. I can see it a little bit when I lay down and when I stand up, I can see it even more. The only time it hurts is when I sit up from laying down but it hurts really bad when I cough. Like I tore something or something. Does anyone else have this problem?? Will it eventually go away?? I see my dr in a couple weeks but this is deeply concerning.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like that’s totally normal. They’ve gone through your stomach muscles when they put the instruments into your stomach for the surgery so takes a good while to heal from that. 
    • Posted

Ok, that makes sense. Now I feel better about it and not as worried as before. Thank you Scottie13. smile
  • Posted

I had that issue to . It's was a build up of scar tissue. It went away in a few months. 

I also used a scar treatment cream and messaged it in to help treat the top areas of the scar.

• Posted

Maybe a hernia? Did you have laparoscopy or open surgery? It is very early days for you. Be very careful about lifting anything and try not to overdo things. It takes longer than they say to recover. You may be healing on outside but it takes longer to heal internally. Rest, walk a little, no sudden movements and drink lots of clear fluids. Be cautious with your diet. Foods have to be reintroduced slowly. Presumably you have appointment for post surgery check up? If you are worried about this before then, see your GP or, if in UK, dial 111. This is a good service, even if they do ask silly questions at first.  Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

I had laparoscopy done. 4 small incisions. It was my first stomach surgery. I walked for an hour today and it felt amazing to walk without bending over in severe pain. I don't lift anything over 10 pounds like I was told not to. I also haven't overdone anything either. Best of all, i have no issues with any food but unfortunately, it's gonna be a few months before i eat anything fried or greasy. Can't have coffee either. The bump just worries a little bit. I'm probably just paranoid cause this is my first stomach surgery ever.

• Posted

Umbilical incision causes most problems it seems. I was told to moisturise scars after six weeks so I would wait until they’re completely healed as it could cause irritation or infection on a recent incision. There are a lot of issues with the umbilical incision becoming infected. If that happens, clean with cool boiled water and cotton wool. One wipe , discard cotton wool and repeat as necessary. Do not apply a lot of pressure when doing this. Kind regards.
  • Posted

Good day, been 3 weeks after my surgery and I have the same, a bump in my stomach also. It seems getting smaller and less tender, it's all the trauma after surgery. We have to take it easy and lots of rest, it's not what the doctors says, few weeks and your grand .... Its not.

• Posted

Unfortunately it will take about 4 to 6 months for the scar tissue to begin to soften. Go to 
  • Posted

Is your bump near your belly button? Cause I have an incision over my belly button and the bump is a bit higher than the incision. Do you have the same?
  • Posted

Hi there everybody. And Queen .You are ok. Just had your 1st major SURGERY. You will have pain for a few months. You are healing. The bump is probably just the blood from surgery. It will go away. Be strong and careful not to stretch or lift anything heavy. Good Luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.