Bunion Recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Your comments have been so helpful. I am having surgery tomorrow-June 20. Lapidus procedure to repair bunion, osteotomy on tailor's bunion, and bone spurs removed from back of heel-all on my right foot. I am so worried and nervous about the surgery/recovery!! I am very confident with my doctor, but the unknown can be scary. I am 57 and concerned that my age may affect the recovery. I have even been wondering if I should go through with it, but after reading about what might be ahead (deformed foot) I think I should do it. Since the ball of my foot and the heel are both being operated on my doctor says I can't put weight on my foot at all; I'll be in a cast for 5 weeks then a boot for 3 weeks.

Any advice you could give me about recovery would be greatly appreciated!

I live in a 2 story house with only a toilet/sink in the downstairs bath. I'm planning to stay on the sofa for a couple of weeks. What is the best way to elevate my foot? What is the best way to get up and down stairs? How do I manage to prepare food on my own? How do I "bathe???" Help!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello All, I am lying on my sofa with my leg propped up on 2 pilliws. Had to stop the oxycontin as it was messing me up! I would rather deal with the pain. Now just taking ibuprofen when needed. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting around with the walker pretty well now. I am a fairly active person and like to stay busy... I can see how depression can set in with all this boredom and the lack of ability to care for oneself. But taking it  one day at a time...and trusting in God to help me through.
    • Posted

Right with you Susie. On couch propped up after almost 4 week still all infected up. Glad to hear you are off the Oxies. Very addicting drug. Hang in there. When I get bored or feeling bad I call an old friend. Usually takes me out of myself.
    • Posted

Hi Susie, I'm sure you will get a break through soon, and I find Advil tablets are out of this world! Don't know if you sell them in the UK but we have them here in Aussie land!

I'm now waiting waiting and more waiting for them to call me in!!! The doctor I was to have is leaving in August! Now they have to find another surgeon!....I'm like you, active and can't do nothing, I've just finished a degree and I fell lost and I haven't even had my feet done!! I've got knitting, sketching, painting, and sewing, along with lots of books for when my time comes. Having broken my foot a couple of years ago I know a little how to look after myself but I did have Blue Nurses come and help me to shower so that was a God send.

Hang in there Susie and God will bless you!

• Posted

We are in the US Carol and yes, I am taking Advil!! I have a big container of family photos to date and catalog as well as begin preparing for school in the fall, I'm a kindergarten teacher. Have a big stack of books to read too. Trying to stay positive and feel productive!
  • Posted

Hello Susie.

So glad you're home and all went well.

Enjoy being pampered by those around you who are happy to do this.

Take care.

Gillian

• Posted

Managed to clean up a bit today with some no rinse  cleanser our pharmacy had . Then with the help of the walker hopped to the kitchen and washed my hair in the sink. Not a hot shower, but I feel like a new person...spirits definitely  lifted. 

I feel a lot of twinges and what I can only describe as mini - spasms in my foot. Is this normal? Is it my nerves repairing??

• Posted

Yes, the twinges are the nerves repairing themselves.  It will happen for quite awhile.  I'm 4 months post-op, and I still have one occasionally.  Sounds like you're on your way!  
  • Posted

Hi Susie.

The spasms you're experiencing are very normal and you'll very liley keep having them for many months.

& months down the line I still get involuntary twitching in my 2nd toe which was operated on for hammertoe. It doesn't hurt or cause me any problems but, obviously we have a lot of nerves in our feet and toes and any interference with these will take a long time to settle down. I did have discomfort in the 3rd, 4th, and little toes several months after surgery and after all the bandaging was removed and I was becoming a lot more mobile and also the lgaments and tendons along the top of my for from these toes towards my ankle went throughavery tender/painful stage which lasted about 3 weeks but this also has now settled down and cleared up.

I mention these things as I kept feeling real progress was being made and then these litte hiccups occurred and I felt I was gong backwards in my recovery. Bu I can tell you in al honesty that I now realise that I was in fact making therogress but along the way encountered these little set-backs which have all become a distant memory now.

You'll be fine. Just don't overdo things. I had many a good day and did lots more than I perhaps should have only to pay for it in the days following.

Gillian

Glad you washed your hair. I tend to feel cleansed and fresh if I know my hair's been washed.

• Posted

Thanks Gillian. I figured it was the healing process but wasn't sure having never had that feeling before.  I do have a question about walking. I know it's a while away as Friday will be my one week mark, but can you (or anyone) help me understand what happens when I get out of the cast 5-6 weeks from now? Thanks!
  • Posted

Hello again Susie.

Now then!

I'll tell you how I got on when the bandages came off.

This was at around the 8 week date.

You'll prpobably notice first of all that all your skinhas 'died' and dried and is coming off in very large flakes. It will probably look awful but, underneath you'll have lovely new skin and mine felt so silky soft. It was lovely. It may take a fw days for the dead layer of skin to all come off. Actually, I'm a bit of 'a picker' and couldn't resist with iving it a helping hand, which I know is quite disgusting really. With my now uncovered foot I was instructed by my consultant to continue to wear the flat soled shoe he'd given me at 6 weeks and to use the toe spacer also and regard these as additional 'pain killers' if I needed them. By that he meant that I may find my footwould ache and soon tire and just need s a bit of support until it got used to functioning again.

At 8 weeks I tried o get a pair of my own shoes on but as the foot was still ve stiff and unable to bend very much it had to be done with extreme care and without force. I did find that I could get on 3 of my pairs of shoes but as the foot was also still quite swollen it had to be done very gently. Having got the shoe on it was then quite comfortable but I was careful not to keep the shoes on for too long in case it strted to throb and/or ache and swell. So, it's very much trial and error and gently does it.

At this stage I was still walking flat footedly and this did see to take several weeks trying carefully to get the foot to bend and allow a more normal walking gait. The tops of my legs ached a lot as I was putting my foot down in this manner and walking with more of a limp than normal. Persevere with this as the bend in the foot does eventually come back but can be a very long, slow process. I used my crutches for a few weeks after removing my bandages as I needed to rebuild my confidence too. Getting used to having an unwrapped foot and placing it on the floor instead of walking about in the heel wedge shoe I'd been wearing for 8 weeks was a strange sensation as I felt as though I was falling forward at first. It's quite a weird sensation but, after a few days this passed.

The one thing that I'm still battling with today is getting the muscles built up and strengthened in my legs after having been sitting about for so long during the recovery. I know this is improving all the time but it is very slow.

have no regrets about having had the surgery and am pleased with the result and am on the consultant's list to have my other foot done in September.

If you need any further questions answering please contact me.

Gillian

• Posted

Thank you so much, Gillian! Everything you have shared has been so very helpful! I appreciate the  clear explanations you give. A week ago I was a nervous wreck anticipating my surgery on the 20th. While the week has had some difficult moments and long days, it has been so much easier than I ever thought it would be. I hope your upcoming surgery goes well. I am planning to have my other foot done in December. You have been a blessing!
  • Posted

Good morning Susie.

I'm glad that my words have heped you. I'm not good at keeping messages brief and so you must forgive me for my lengthy tomes.

As a keen gardener I couldn't possibly have coped emotionaly with having had my surgery done in the summer. Imagine the agony I would have faced having to sit idly by watching the lawn growing and not being able to get out there to mow it and, also, all the dead-heading needed when the flowers die off. My husband does help a bit in the garden but it's primarily 'my baby', and I say what goes and what stays. It's taken me quite a lot longer to get things ship-shape this year and by now all the big stuff would have been all done but I'm ploughing on whenever I get an opportunity as I like a tidy garden. It's my sluggish energy levels which have held me back this year. But never mind, I just do what I can when I can. However, hopefully, by this time next year I will be not only the owner of two smart feet but my energy level will be improving as I regain my leg strength. Maybe my fortcoming annual holiday to our beloved Scotland will give me that boost I need and we can enjoy many of our favourite walks i the Perthshire countryside.

Regards.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

As you well know my state of doing nothing, I certainly enjoy your "lengthy tomes!" They are wonderful and entertaining. I have loved being a part of this thread because I love all things British! I am a southern girl (born in Georgia, live now in South Carolina, US) but I have always loved Great Britain (literature, poetry, films, countryside, London) and do hope to visit one day. Though my husband (good-naturedly) rags me about it, he was fortunate to go to London on business in January 2013, and I got to hear his descriptions of his trip. So, where I am it is hot and extremely humid and miserable to be outside. I love to garden too, but unless I can get it done between 6:00 and 8:00 am, it won't happen! I am quite happy being inside with the air-conditioning. We have a large window in back of our sofa and I lie here and look at the sky and the many trees in our backyard and the birds that flock around our feeder, so I do get my nature fix a little.

Also, I teach kindergarten two mornings a week and I had to schedule the surgery so I could get back to school in August. I am concerned that I might not be able to fully function in class with my little ones, but will cross that bridge when I get there. 

I, too, am planning on having my other foot repaired if all goes well with this one. I will most likely do that in November. It would mean missing two weeks of school, but then we have a month-long break and I could finish recovering and be ready to start back mid-January.

I had the bunion and Tailor's bunion removed from my right foot, but I also had bone spurs removed from the back of my heel. I can not put any weight on my foot at all for at least 6 weeks. I appreciate your comments about walking again. I am concerned about how all of that will work out with my heel being affected in addition to the front of my foot.

Your upcoming holiday to Scotland sounds lovely! I hope you have a wonderful time. I hope to see it someday too!

• Posted

Thanks for that Susie.

KBO!!! ( Keep Buggering On). It is an expression made famous by Winston Churchill during World War 2.

I think it ticks so many boxes.

Gillian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.