Bunion Surgery HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

PLEASE HELP!!!! My mum is due to have both bunions removed and they are fusing the bones in both big toes due to Arthritis - has anyone had this done?? My mum is so worried about walking afterwards as she is so active - please can someone give me some advise......... I would be so grateful...... :roll:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had the bunions on both feet done last December, but didn't have the extra bone fusing thing, so I don't know how that will affect your Mum. It is a very painful operation, but after a week or so, is not so bad. I assume she will be in plaster for 6 weeks like I was, which is a bit awkward.

It's nearly 6 months since I had mine done, my toes are still stiff, and my feet ache a bit after walking a lot, but they are OK. I was driving 5 days after having the plaster off.

If you look at my other posts about bunions, it describes what to expect week by week, which might be some help.

smile

• Posted

Hi Gin and Tonic!!! Many thanks for your advice. I woild like a little more please...... How are you walking now?? My mum is so so worried that she will walk like a duck forever!!!! She is so very active and is frightened that it will affect her and turn her into an old woman over night - any advice would be very much appreciated.... thanks xx
  • Posted

How old is your mum? smile
  • Posted

Hi Dr spock - my mum is 66 but looks amazing for her age and is very very active........
  • Posted

Your mum should have had the operations 10 years ago,, the younger the better smile

As [b:430cb6477a]ginantonic16[/b:430cb6477a] says, at the least your mum is going to be off her feet for a few months, she'll then have months of hobbling, stretching and aching, so all in all I suspect your mum is going to need a year or so to get over it :?

• Posted

Hi, I've not been on here for ages, so sorry if this is a little late....!

7+ months on after my bunion op, and I'm still not right. One foot (the one that didn't have the Akin) is fine, the toe is still a little stiff, but only aches when I stand on it all day. The other foot is causing some problems, as my big toe seems to have got stiffer, and is quite painful, especially difficult to get a shoe on it (and that's a flat one, forget nice heels...)

Admittedly, I am standing up for 8-9 hours a day cooking (I have a catering business) so maybe I am expecting a bit too much. Like [b:6137da1470]Dr Spock[/b:6137da1470] says, it is usually a year before you feel back to \"normal\" - but of course, your feet will never be normal again, after all, they have pins and screws in now. sad

I would say to anyone who is having this done just so that they can fit in nice, trendy high heels, forget it. Unless they are causing you pain, this is certainly not just a cosmetic operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.