Bunionectomy

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am on my 4 th day of recovery from surgery. I have been elevating my foot basically all day. I was told that after two weeks I would be put in a boot and the stitches would be taken out. How long do I elevate for? I'm a lil confused about this and everything I've read. When I put my foot down it feels like there is a 1000lbs of pressure. Is this normal? Will it limit with time? Should I wait to stop feeling this pain before I stop elevating? I need help doctors won't call back. Starting to get annoyed. Other than that the pain is tolerable and I'm trying not to take that much of the pain meds. Don't want to get addicted them. Anyone know any info please tell. 

3 likes, 23 replies

Report / Delete

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joseph, 

I am due to have my surgery in 3 weeks. I was told that I would need to keep my foot elevated for 55 minutes of every hour for the first two weeks. After that it would be a further 4 weeks of wearing the boot and limited movement - I was told I can't suddenly rush back onto the tube to get to work, but to work from home for a couple of weeks and begin to walk a little. They say the least you do in the first 6 weeks the better. 

I hope this helps even if it's just advice from my surgeon rather than my experience following surgery. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am following all the comments on this forum with interest. I am having the fusion surgery in a week and have had no information on recovery from my surgeon. I will however take all pain meds available rather that suffer.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Joseph , you will need to keep your foot elevated for 90% of your time for the whole 14 days. It does hurt but it will get better. After 2 weeks the stitches should come out and you will wear the boot/ shoe but you will still need to elevate as much as you can.

i am just 6 weeks post op and just yesterday got to take the shoe off and wear my own. My foot is still swollen and stiff but it gets better with each week.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, no worries, yes I do work and have been back just doing mornings since I was 2 weeks post op. My foot was xrayed before I could go back to my shoes. Very wide shoes though as it is still quite swollen, and flat shoes only with a wide toe box so that the toes aren't squashed.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Im a support worker but been told i cant start back until after my six weeks and then i went for a check up three wks ago and nurse said i wont b bak for a few more weeks yet.  I am thinking about taking my reebox classic trainers on mon the outsides of my feet look good but dont no how insides are heeling 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Joseph - I am due to have surgery on the 16 October but after reading all of the comments on this web site - I am going for a second opinion - and think I will put up with the life pain than the opp. The last person is right about elevation keeping your feet above your heart very regularly every hour and apparently a full recovery will take up to 12 months - it's a mess when you get get the right after care or support - feel for you - regards your feet feeling like exploding with pressure you need to take your pain killers mate - I suffer with gout and that's horrible pain - but at least the meds might allow your mind to rest easier... Question what recovery time tables were you given ? Do you play sport ? I have only had 1 good comment about this in the last 2 weeks -  your pain will subside it's ashamed that your expectations were not managed ? But are you confident although in pain that you have done the right thing then maybe that's half the battle - recover well and soon
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

HI Irlam, have you an opportunity to go the minimally invasive surgery route? I'm finding the recovery fromm this much easier than the traditional surgery ( which I had on my first bunion)
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Irlam, I understand your hesitation. Ive had both feet done, it took me 3 months before I could go to the Gym and do stuff that involved bending the foot at all and it was really 5 months before I could do classes without worrying. Im now at 8 Months and do not regret having it done, far from it, I see no point in putting up with pain or having unecessary restrictions on walking/running/cycling unless there is no choice. In summary, my experience was positive though there was a moment about 6 weeks after the operation when I wondered if it would recover properly. Good luck with your decision.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Joseph, Have no fear, you are doing the right thing and its normal to feel your foot will explode. I don’t think you need worry about it too much, its ok if you do put your foot down and walk around the house but when you do sit keep the foot high. It took several weeks for my foot to calm down so you need to be patient. Swelling/redness may continue for months. It did with me. I was surprised at the instant relief by raising the foot really high, say 45degrees or more above the horizontal for a few seconds. It lets the blood drain instantly. Overall it sounds like you are doing the right thing but don’t worry, your foot is unlikely to actually explode if you do have it down occasionally. At one point I walked too much an regretted this and do not advise it, ie do not push yourself, but no damage was done. Good luck, Kevin
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

well peeps i am new to this dont no wot i am doing lol i am having my op on the 5th haw long will it be befir i can go back to work ??
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think it depends what you do. I have been working from home ever since the surgerry ( well  maybe a day off) just little bits on the computer. I think the issue is travelling to work and standing
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

5 weeks since chevron bunionectomy.  I had significant swelling too - so much so that my foot split (about an inch long split) beside my incision from being too swollen. 

I have a pin for another week and haven't been able to weight-bear or wear shoes (even socks don't fit yet due to swelling). 

Anyone else have issues with foot turning puple when not elevated?  Franken-foot!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the support :-) No treatment - the surgeon's office said that it can happen (wish I'd known that before!) and it's the foot's way of letting me know it needs to be elevated higher (I had it elevated above my heart except to eat/use the washroom but apparently it needed to be even higher). I'm still having issues 6 weeks later with swelling even though I'm supposed to be walking now. The incision has opened a bit so will delay easing back into things until it seals up. Keeping my eye on the prize ;-)

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up