Burning behind the knee after TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else had a burning sensation behind their knee? It seems like ever since I started therapy the other day behind my knee is burning and my hip has an achy feeling go it. Called the surgeon and of course got no reply so had to call local emergency room and that doctor told me it was normal. Not sure what to do to relieve the burning as he wouldn't give me any advice other than to call the surgeon. Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Some of that can be coming out of the lower back. There is a ligament or tendon the clones out of the bck, goes down the outside , crosses over and goes down the leg. It can tighten up and cause the back of the leg stuff. Make sure you are doing some stretching to loosen things up As much as possible. Tiger balm and mild heat ca help as well. One of the c a uses, you are now walking somewhat normal after some period of time limping and favoring the bad leg trying to avoid pain. Be sure and walk slow and step out even exaggerating the stride. Step out touching your heal, then you toe then bend the leg as Far as possible when you stride. Continue to work hard on straightening the leg. Straight is More important than bend wh e n it comes to walking properly.
    • Posted

That makes sense on the walking as that's what the therapist's tells me as to how to walk. I've been using heat and trying to walk more each day and doing my exercises like the therapist said. Stretching and all. Thanks for the reply..
  • Posted

I've had the annoying burning in both my knee and inner thigh since surgery 6 weeks ago. It's extremely uncomfortable but not what I'd say is painful enough to require taking a narcotic for it. It does keeps me awake during the night. It has gotten less frequent over the past week or so. As other posts have mentioned regarding burning pain, it's from nerves that have been disturbed and are now healing. It will take up to a year for the burning to totally leave. There are lotions specifically made to relieve the burning of neuropathic pain such as diabetic neuropathy and also shingles burning and pain. These are usually effect but pretty costly. Some people complain about the medicinal smell to them but otherwise claim they are very effective in eliminating the burning sensation. One of them here in the US is called Neuragen. I don't know if it's available anywhere else. But if you google 'lotions to relieve burning pain' you will come up with a few suggestions.
  • Posted

Had some of the same issues.  My physical therapit said that it was from using those muscles, tendons and ligaments in a normal way instead of compensating with the other leg for your bad knee.  She said it was normal.  It will pass in time as you do therapy and everything gets stronger.  I also had pain on the front inside of my knee along with the others you mentioned.  It is definitely less all the way around as I get more in shape again. Exercise is your best bet and walking as Oldfatguy1 suggested. I started walking like he said and that has helped tremendously.  Hang in there, it gets better.
  • Posted

Hi

Post PKR 10 weeks. Have had swelling behind knee and slight ache, also ache above knee going up the leg and hip and back pain.  Was told to expect it.

Sending you best wishes on your recovery.

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.