Burning in knee 2 years after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Immediately after surgery and up until a week ago, my partial knee replacement has been fine.  A week ago, I began having a burning sensation in the area (Partial replacement) of the replacement. Doctor did an X-ray... said nothing shows. I asked for an MRI...told would not reveal anything. He prescribed a topical gel that has many side effects.  I am uncomfortable treating the symptom without knowing the cause! Has anyone had the burning this long after surgery when all has gone well since the surgery? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise, I'm not that far down the track, I'm at 18 months RTKR and 8 weeks LTKR.  The only thing I can really mention to you based on what you've said here is that I wouldn't be uncomforatable treating the symptom without knowing the cause to be honest.  Anything that you can give a go to can't be too bad a thing.

• Posted

Yes... I did have that feeling also numbness on skin area...the burning will go away....just gotta keep that knee moving...... Now the numbness will stay a bit on the side of knee ...but is not so bad....did my TKR...1/2016.......soon doing my next knee........good luck!!!
  • Posted

If it does not improve, then I would go back for more investigation - it could be several things as a cause but hopefully it will just be a glitch, maybe you just overused your knee and it will settle down. Take care.
  • Posted

Probably the reason he said no to the MRI, an MRI after tkr only shows a black blob as the rays can't penetrate the steel. You may have unknowingly increased your activity or tweaked it without knowing it. Try resting and go back to elevating and icing. I'm 2 yrs out after my last time around, which is my 5th rehab. A couple of weeks ago I woke up with a driving pain on the inside of the knee. Due to having h a d 11 surgeries, etc I still have pain meds at my disposal. I started with a high dose of a gabepentin which helped considerably, then topped it off with a couple pain pills for relief. I can only assume it was a nerve that I had tweaked while doing some bending and twisting working in a flower bed. I've had one minor incident since.

• Posted

Is it possible a new area of nerves are waking up? Mine did this, burning/pain, a few weeks ago at the 6 1/2 month mark. The wake up cause actual feeling that had been numb before. There is still some numbness to still get better and it can take a while. One person was 5 years!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.