Burning pain especially when I put my foot down to get up

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 days post op from a bimalleolar fracture. He put two screws on the outside and a plate on the inside. He wanted to put more screws where the plate was but my ankle was worse than what he thought and didn't think it would hold up. My splint is poking me like they didn't put it on right and when I put my foot down to go use the restroom sharp pains go up my leg where the incision site is. I don't know if maybe my splint is too loose and when I stand it puts all the pressure on my ankle. I'm so tempted to call the dr in the morning because I don't think something is right. I don't even want to get up to use the restroom it hurts so bad.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Stella you are right call the dr. Get a X-ray be sure there are no complications and treatment can be suggested at that time. 

I wish you well!

• Posted

I didn't call my dr today thinking I would be better. But of course I don't. I thought i had a high tolerance for pain but this is just too much. You would think I would be able to get up and use the restroom without wanting to cry. ( though I've been tough and haven't cried yet lol. As long as my leg is propped up I'm ok mostly besides the pain on my lateral ankle. How long will this last? I'm just ready for it to go away. I hope I ain't the only one out there that has this pain, and it is more common that what I thought. Not that I want people to be in pain, just want to know it is all part of the healing process

• Posted

Call your surgeon - should be a nurse able to answer your basic questions or relay more complex ones to the doc. Write down your questions ahead of time. You may have to wait for a call back or send an email. Are you using crutches or a knee walker? The knee walker is a god send and keeps your ankle from dangling down which can cause pain. 
    • Posted

I'm using just a regular walker. I don't trust myself on crutches. Lol. I asked about the knee walker but he didn't want to give me one right now. Hopefully I can get one when I go for my check up the 23rd.

• Posted

I have this exact pain. The only difference is I'm 3yrs out of surgery. More than likely they'll suggest its nerve damage. Or part of your surgery. Its what I was told. I don't know though.Good luck!

• Posted

The pain is not near as bad as what it was. I can actually put my foot down And not want to cry. I hope it don't last three years though. What kind of surgery did you have?

• Posted

Are you putting weight on you ankle? Usually you remain non weight bearing for several weeks. 
    • Posted

I'm not putting any weight on my ankle. It's just I guess gravity when I put my leg down that's giving me the burning sensation. It doesn't hurt when I have my leg elevated or on a pillow. I really think something is just pulling on my incision sight. Maybe a peice of the splint is stuck to it. I have a dr appt next week, I'm just trying to wait it out

• Posted

Sometimes the increase in blood flow when you put your foot down will cause pain similar to what your describing. I think it will improve but I'm glad your going back to the doctor soon. Just having them let you know that nothing is wrong and it's a normal complaint can put your mind at rest. Hopefully removing your staples or stitches and getting everything cleaned up will help as well. Good luck - it's a frustrating process some days. Who knew ankles were so complicated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.