burning pain - health anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I thought I was making progress with tackling my anxiety through CBT but the last few days I've had a horrendous burning pain in my lower abdomen. Does anyone else have this with their anxiety? I keep waking at night worrying its an ulcer or cancer.

I know there have been some recent issues in my life that have probably triggered my anxiety again but wondering whether I am ill or its likely to be my anxiety?

I can't get into my Gp until next week sad

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

OMG THIS IS WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW!!! GOING FOR A CT TOMORROW.

I cannot sleep I cannot work I cannot do anything I am just focused on this pain. Everyone keeps telling me its IBS but I am so afraid its Ovarian C. OMG I am goign to give myself another panic attack. I have been having loose stools, gas, indigestion and now this, its been tehre for over a week!!!!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through the same. Would you let me know how you get on tomorrow? Because I've been off work sick through anxiety I feel my Gp doesn't take me seriously that's why I read articles on the internet and fear the worse.

I've been having CBT which has helped but the last 2 occasions they cancelled as the therapist was off sick. I am struggling a bit now - two weeks ago lost an aunt to cancer, having to go back to work next week. I know its most likely anxiety as it plays havoc with our bodies but doesnt atop us worrying does it.

Good luck for tomorrow x

• Posted

Dear Lynne

Don't lose sight of the fact that you ARE making progress with your anxiety. Your reaction is understandable, but this does not mean your CBT is failing or that you are at fault. This is a 'blip' that has immediately triggered an emotional response in your brain.

If you can't see your GP until next week, then head for your local chemist first thing in the morning and ask to speak to the Pharmacist on duty. He/She will be able to offer you professional advice based on your symptoms and existing medication, and possibly recommend an OTC medicine to alleviate the burning sensation which is most likely excess stomach acid caused by your increased anxiety level.

Don't catastrophise about ulcers and cancer. If you were trained to make a self-diagnosis, then you wouldn't be seeing your Doctor, so remember the golden rules of your CBT. Present moment thinking, mindfulness, no speculation without evidence etc.

I hope you manage to have something approaching a more restful night and send you my very warmest good wishes.  :-)

• Posted

Thank you so much for your words and advice. You are so right and deep down I know this is the case.

I wish you could know how reassuring your words are. You summed up everything I need to hear. THANK YOU

• Posted

Aargh!!!

Lynne, I have just read this in your reply to 'anxious'.

"I feel my GP doesn't take me seriously that's why I read articles on the internet and fear the worse".

Please, I appeal to you passionately, STOP THIS NOW! This is actually contributing to your problem and making it worse. In fact, it is almost implicit in your reply that you realise that.

Ask yourself what evidence you have that your GP "doesn't take me seriously"?

You are caught in the classic trap of anxiety, going round in circles seeking answers, then doubting them when you discover one. There is a self-perpetuating cycle going on here and the best thing you can do to break it is speak to a health professional in the morning, face-to-face.

This should provide you enough reassurance to bolster you through the weekend to practice what you have learned so far from your Counsellor. I shall keep you in my thoughts.

(but only if you promise not to Google)   :-)

• Posted

Hello Lynne

I have been wondering how today has turned out for you following the distress you were in last night?

Kind wishes.

• Posted

Hi things haven't improved. I've rung my counsellor and asked for an appointment asap as they cancelled the last two due to sickness. I'm hoping this is just a blip due to things going off in my life.

Thanks for thinking of me

• Posted

What about the burning sensation Lynne, has that subsided? Did you manage to get to the Chemist and speak to a Pharmacist?  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.