Burning sensation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I am now 4 weeks in following Fimo surgery. I am still non weight bearing and luckily do not have any pain (though I am told that will come when I start weight bearing). Yesterday for the first time I experienced a burning sensation in my ankle and heel. I have just bought a wheelchair to help getting around as going any distance is so tiring. That makes me feel like I am giving up but will make it easier on my husband so have given in. Probably just feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brom100,

So happy you have not had pain.  I am 8 weeks out of ORIF surgery for bimalleolar fx and have had burning pain for probably 6 of that- even when the tingling and numbness went away.  I was started on gabapentin (for nerve pain) last week and it helps at night especially (the pain was keeping me from sleeping).

Can you use a scooter?  it has been helpful for many of us and much easier than a wheelchair.  

Don't give up- it will get easier.  I am still waiting for that time also (I am off my foot again most of the day as my outer incision is not healing.  Was in the boot for 3 days and now .... well- just a bump in the road and at least the cast is off.  

You hang in there- and keep the chin up.  Never feel bad about being sad and wanting to give up.   It seems to go along w/ this injury but trust me, you will have better moments that you will see the light.   Keep us posted!    Jan

• Posted

Thank you Jan for your kind words I did look at getting a scooter but the wheelchair was more affordable. I hope your recovery is swift and problem free xx
  • Posted

I suffered from burning at and around the incision line.  It's been a year for me, today.

i learned from the PT (once you have the cast off) to place 2 fingers on the incision, press lightly and rub back and forth, multiple times a day.  The burning I had was from damaged nerves from the surgery.  This rubbing helps the nerves to regenerate.  For a while I thought the pain would never leave and couldn't stand anything to touch it.  I had my hardware out (second incision) and I'm happy to say that pain is mostly gone. Hopefully you will be FWB soon, because NWB is tough.  You're almost there.  

• Posted

Linda- your message is so encouraging.  I do not start PT until after the boot is off- which will be 14 weeks post surgery.  I have heard that they massage areas that really hurt.  My inner ankle is so sensitive right now that I cannot even stand the sheets to touch it.  It is sensitive from the arch up over the ankle and halfway up the tibia to my knee on that same side.  My husband was putting cream on the bottom of my foot last night and I thought I was going to the moon it was so uncomfortable!   But your message gives me hope- and I really appreciate it.  I know this will resolve but wanted it to happen yesterday!  It is better than it was so I am sure it will continue.  One other question- I realized last night that I cannot move my toes up and down as far as the other foot.  I can move and wiggle them but they do not flex forward or upward very much.  Do you know if that is typical following surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.