Burning Tongue Sensation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

During heightened anxiety or full on panic attacks, does anyone get the feeling that the tip of their tongue is burning? If so, what can be done to ease that feeling?

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi psyched, yes I have experienced that burning tongue sensation.  I have tried frozen banana, ice water & lemon.  Its only a short time relief so I will be interested in your feedback also

• Posted

Hi Deb, I've tried ice chips, ice in every drink, along with using straws to directly hit that area, minty gum to try to balance out the sensation, and even letting my tongue hang out like a dogs. lol Nothing really seems to help much.

• Posted

lol.. fell off my chair laughing.. a dog with its tongue out lol lol.. well I guess there are 2 off us & Im over due for my distemper shot huh.. CHEERS to cia for suggesting lavender oil.  I do use the aroma oil as a help aid when Im going through those frantic moments neutral

• Posted

Laughing seems to help a lot. As soon as I read that you're overdue for your distemper, my mind went right to "I hope I don't have worms" lol

• Posted

omg bwahahahahaaa.. Im not so worried about an infestation of fleas.. Im freaking out if I should start sniffing out someones butt lol
    • Posted

Just consider the sniffing as a proper greeting. Mmmm, somebody had Kibbles n Bits today. lol
    • Posted

oooooh nooooo lol.. not kibbles n bits?  lucky you bwahahahaaa..  Ive decided to stay in.. Im worried if I may be on heat.. might eat the cat instead lol
    • Posted

Ooohhh, kibbles of kitty for breakfast! Very high in protein, and hair. Be careful, I don't want you choking on a hairball. lol

• Posted

hahahahahaaaaaaa high protein huh lol.. Laughing to much to cough up a hairball..  hmmmmmm that makes me think about my boyfriend 'mange' lol

• Posted

What I meant to say was ...Not hanging out with Ringworm. lol There must be too many parasites nibbling my noodle.
    • Posted

You gals just had me laughing so hard I couldn't breath for a minute. What a way to start the day.

• Posted

Yes, especially whan I eat something ascidic,   espedially citrus, sometime even a little sore bump.  Lavender oil on the tip helps quicky.. Give it a try...use a good brand.For me it works every time.
    • Posted

you are very welcome. Just dab it on that sore spot, then for a minute of so, try not to wash the oil off with saliva, breath through your mouth so your tongue stays dry during that time. It usually works for me the first or second time I dab it on.
    • Posted

When the anxiety hits, or when I'm sick the entire tip of my tongue burns, but it's not from anything I ate, and there's no sores. I'm keeping up with my B vitamins, and now I'll add a dab of lavender. smile

• Posted

I don't expect it to, but not knowing exactly the problemt is, I'll give you a heads up. If it stings a tiny bit for a few seconds, no problem. If for some reason it burns, you can stop that NOT with water, but with olive, or any cooking oil. I hope it works, if for no other reason than if the jokes go on my pants are absolutely not going to stay dry.eek

• Posted

I didn't see the word "oil" quickly enough. Had a quick mental image of a jumbo black olive on my tongue, and of course sticking it out at people. With my luck someone would snap a picture, and I'd be featured in one of those "People of Walmart" photos.

• Posted

I have seen those, and will keep my eyes open for your olive photo. Sweatheart, I had to take a minute to wipe my eyes from laughing before i could write this. GOOD ONE.lol

• Posted

tried the 100% pure lavender oil cia..  5 seconds & it started to burn.. grabbed glass of water on sink annnnnnd OMG!!!  Had rings soaking in detergent water..  choked so darn much I couldnt breathe.. worse when bubbles came out of my nose... no kidding cia, Im sure my sole left my body for a few seconds.. any longer & I would av been looking down on my self & ready to hold the hand of Jesus eh..  NO NO lavender hun

• Posted

Hopefully the rings were spared. lol

Aside from choking, the bubbles were pretty funny. Just think, for a brief moment in time, you were a mermaid!! (Or Dory)

• Posted

Deb, I am so sorry you almost burned your tongue out...no more fish and chips. Honey, I had written to Psyched out, who had the problem, and told her that if it burned  NOT (yes, I used caps) to use water, but to use olive oil. Any good cooking oil alleviates essential oils that get "hot".

There are oils that will get "hot" on outer parts of the body also, like oregano. Never use water, it drives the oil in, olive oil mixes with and "cools" it. The same with eating hot peppers, never, never drink water...it will get worse. Grab cheese, or milk and you will alleviate the burn.

Again, I am so sorry you were in such distress, dear Deb. Cia

• Posted

hahahaaaaa rings were spared yep..  not sure if I was as elegant as a mermaid hun lol.. more like someone from 'avatar'?.. they have blue faces dont they? lol

• Posted

cooking oil?.. oh lord cia.. should have seen your message about olive oil.. Im a real chook.. now Im laughing after reading psyched outs message and your advice further on.. Dont be sorry cia.. Who knows, perhaps I might find extra work at parties doing 'nose bubble' tricks huh lol wink

• Posted

I'll be your bartender. We can serve olive oil martinis.eek

• Posted

omg hahaaaa.. hmmmm sounds all good having a bartender, martinis & detergent shoties on the side.. falling on the floor gasping for breath.. bubbles flighing.. cool lol cool

• Posted

OMG ...Do NOT have a mouthful of food when coming to this discussion. You could choke yourself to death,lolredfaceeeklol

• Posted

hahahaaa.. does lavender oil give you gas cia?..  my home smells BEAUTIFUL..  bet all the moths have taken cover lol
    • Posted

Gas?...Gas? Did I miss something here? Oooooohhhh. I get it! Lavender is very good for covering the occasional odd smell.

Seriously, I have had gas lately (not from lavender) and almost asked about it. I think I know why. One of anxiety's effects, as you well know, is to tense every muscle in our bodies, (sometimes all at once) including inner muscles. I boiled it down to whenever I am particularly tense, don't eat, or eat very lightly (soft boiled egg over crumbled bread..no butter, chicken broth with saltines, etc. nothing the tummy has to go to war with trying to digest.)

If I wandered way off course, just think of it as unasked for info. and forget it.  Now I have to spray some lavender around...just in case.lol

• Posted

You need to bottle that up, and sell it as air freshener. Call it "Lavender Poot Poot", and you'll make a mint. Oooohhh! New scent! Cha-ching!

• Posted

WOW... sooooo inspired hmmm 'Lavender Poot Poot" Reckon we should all have our faces on the promotion post on walmart, cia holding some lavender oil along with a fire extinguiser, you with an olive jamed on ur tongue & me wearing an adult diaper, holding the future famous can of poot poot..  Noticed your post further down about tongue prob, Ive had it now for 3 days after a panic attac at Drs surgery, darn things swells up.. tried olive oil & yeah it did help a little rolleyes

• Posted

Eggs have a way of getting revenge on everyone. When my stomach would get really bad, I'd do that BRAT diet for a couple days. It was helpful unless the doc said that there was an infection. Then it was called the BRAT and antibiotic diet.

• Posted

Hmmm, mine has never gotten swollen, but it felt like it. You must have had a really bad attack, and still feeling the aftershocks. Hopefully it will start to ease up soon.
    • Posted

I recall something about eggs and sulphur. Yeah, that could do it, too. So we are down to chicken broth and crackers. We will all be reeaallly thin, reeaaally fast. Twiggy on reverse steroids. (anyone remember Twiggy?)

I just know someone is going to make me regret that I asked that.eek

• Posted

thanks tons & I sure hope you find relief also..  Last 2 panic attacks had me running home like a power olympian once I was able to get out of the 'FREEZE' moment.. just wondering if I might have been biting down on my tongue without knowing.. Oh well, at least I wasnt booked for speeding lol

• Posted

I remember being told about Twiggy, but that's as far as it goes. lol I'm going the opposite direction, and gaining weight, even with anxiety. I've pretty much been in bed or on the sofa for the last 4 months. I was quite ill, ended up with surgery in May, and one of the 5 incisions has decided to not heal as well as the rest. So, I'm stuck with a hole in my stomach, and I found out the hard way that sitting up makes it worse, so does sitting crossed legged and leaning forward. Oops!

• Posted

Since anxiety can cause people to grind their teeth in their sleep, I don't doubt that a full on panic attack can cause you to bite down on your tongue. In moments like that, it's hard to remember everything we do.

• Posted

omg girrrrrrrrl.. Im so sorry you have been through so much & still recovering after 4 months omg!!!!   Hope that hole heals up asap,  You are a fantastic lady & yep its good to laugh.. happy to go crazy with you any day K..  good point about the tongue biting, so true, I cant remember details much at all when going through a full blown attack.. cant handle being in public for those reasons.. hey you get well our funny gal mmmwahhhhhh xx

• Posted

I had stitches and steri-strips for a week. It looked pretty good, but soon got worse. I was told that it wasn't infected, just keep it clean and let it get air. After finding out that my white blood cell count was over 16000, I went to the family doctor. He gave me stitches, without using a numbing agent, and some antibiotics. All was great until I ripped a stitch or two. It's right above my belly button, so I have to stop sitting in a weird position. Since I've reclined, it's been healing nicely. The surgery was on May 9th, so I'm ready for this journey to be over with.

• Posted

Laughing all day probably didn't help anything.lol I'm really glad that you are healing well. There's a British encouragement...soldier on! With what you have been handling, and with such good humor, you should be a general by now, darlin'. Take care

• Posted

Thanks bunches, Bubbles. lol

The surgery was in May, and this year that month just sucked. There was the surgery, then Mother's day, my birthday on the 18th, and the 21st made it one year since my mom died. The time prior to the surgery was insane. My lab work was really bad, liver enzymes were off the charts, I had to take 3 different antibiotics at the same time to cover all grounds while waiting for additional labs to come back. That was a total of 70 pills in 10 days. I had an ultrasound, then a CAT scan, and that showed a mass on my pancreas., all while waiting for lab results that were testing me for all the Hep viruses, and leukemia. It was all a whirlwind, and that was just the start of it. All of that recovery time is what made me find this forum, which has been helpful, comforting, and a lot of fun with you, and Cia. smile

• Posted

Laughing always helps. After my mom's death last May, I was physically fine for a month. After that, I was sick with something every month, usually my stomach. Then in March the doctor finally ordered tests instead of just handing out antibiotics. Long story short. My surgeon said that I should have had my gallbladder out years ago. It was full of stones, and many were really big. The gallbladder had no functions, was half calcified, and hid itself under and towards the back of my liver, the fused itself to the liver. Basically I was a ticking time bomb, because if it burst I would have needed instant surgery or it could be fatal. Another thing is that calcified gallbladders are a high cancer risk, and by the time it's actually caught, the cancer has typically spread to other organs. I lucked out, but I'll still take a title of general. I can be called General Chop Shop smile

• Posted

awwww our gorgeous puppy.. Im so so sorry hun & wish I could help you out in person.. omg you have been through an ordeal, probably more than any one could go through in a life time.. You sure do amaze me by having a SUPER-AWESOME attitude & can have a laugh.. man o man huh.. Im grateful that you are here with us coz I havnt laughed so much for a long time.. or choked, near died, seen Jesus, learnt how to master detergent, had a moment of feeling like a ferral, heat, flees, noodles, new vision of making wealth, almost ate the cat, eloped with 'mange' & his mate ringworm not to forget kibbles n bits craving.. I miss my mum to.. she was on her way to my house when she had a massive brain aneurysm.. no chance to say goodbye.. my health went down the toilet, lots of time in hospitals, gallbladder removed, like you hun, lots of huge stones, 3 trips to ICE with a dicky heart, monitor inserted into my chest, seizures taking control after a brutal attack from a guy under the influence of drugs & left me for dead, depression & anxiety hit hard, had to pass my licence in & had no option but to resign from a job I loved &  worked hard to get.. Im soooooo happy to have found this forum to find beautiful people like you & cia.. YEP, you gotta laugh.. Im sure glad you are here puppsie.. mmmmwahhhhhh xxxx lol

• Posted

OMG, it's a bleeding wonder any of are still here at all!!rolleyes My heart goes out to you and psyched out and all these brave souls. To get beyond surviving to thriving is something a lot of people never get to. This is one thriving bunch of nuts....maybe that is so BECAUSE of being a little wacko. Now speaking of wackos, Deb, once again reading your text first thing had me in hysterics again. I don't need coffee in the morning, I have you.eekloleek

• Posted

loves you to bitz cia.. & psyched out.. lol Im pretty fussy who I go wacko with & yep yep, we are all survivors..  Reckon we would be in pretty bad shape if we couldnt laugh.. Feel sorry for the people who are quick to judge & feed people with negativity by believing they are helping hmmm..  coffee cia? hahahaha Im 1 bean short of a cup hun lol lol

• Posted

Perfect Deb....my kind of de caf.   One minor change....you are one of those beyond surviving. (been there, done that) You are a thriver!!!! I have to say the same of psychedout and quite a few more in this forum. I feel fortunate to be among this gang.
    • Posted

ooooh sweet lord cia.. where would we be without someone like you hun???..  cia, you are the sweetest lady who encourages us all.. adore you so much.. How fortunate we are to have you 'beautiful gal' xxxxxxx

• Posted

I'm picky about who I get wacko with too. I always have to test the waters before opening my trap. People usually have a filter between their brain and mouth, but mine is broken, or simply doesn't exist. I suffer from a severe case of word vomit. Okay, maybe suffer is the wrong word, because it's actually fun. Word vomit acts up in public too, but not in a bad way, or so I think. A good example is when mu daughter and I went to the mall, and some dude said to me "Excuse me, would you be interested in a free estimate for new windows in your home?" I replied "I don't have windows " and kept on walking. That stuff isn't planned, it just slips out. The look on his face still makes me laugh.

• Posted

I ditto what Deb said. You're like a forum mom to everyone, which is great, but Deb and I never agreed to share you with others. Just a thought. lol smile

• Posted

Oh, for god's sake.....here we go again. What would I do withour my morning hysterical laughing fit. Maybe you gals should start a new forum..."Laugh until you recover, don't care if you recover, or pee yourself, whichever comes first."

• Posted

laughin to much omg!  I come on here having all kinds of images after reading psyched outs comments.. & our 'almighty & wonderful cia'  Do you think we have a mental prob at all? or is it a 'bug viral thingo?  If psyched out has word vomit & I have a severe case of verbal diarrhea?  & the urge to bark at people going past.. normal right... 

• Posted

I'm still trying to figure out what a dicky heart is, because where I come from, those are two different organs, although they both pump blood. lol

• Posted

lol hahaaa um.. having a laughing fit here.. my heart would race at 148 then slacken off to 37 bpm.. dont know how Im supposed to explain it better lol.. have a loop monitor & now Im to scared to do a thing, know what Im saying redface   A technician sticks this thing on my chest & downloads all activity.. & picks up EVERYTHING omg huh lol.. Im careful what I do until especially SOME activities.. I dont want to be questioned if I have been riding a bull at 11pm at night???? oh lord no

• Posted

Normal??? Absotutly (spelling deliberate).....just like orange is the new black.question We  are among the new normal. Maybe we are the pioneers of the new normal. How scary is that for the rest of the world?eek

• Posted

lol cant wait  say Im 'normal' to my psych.. hope she like my new pjs & gumboots, smelling like lavender, panting like a dog & kibbles n bits wrapped up in christmas paper (prezy from me to her).. If she askes how Im going, I will tell her 'IM FINE but I should get me organs checked out? 

• Posted

I get what you're talking about with the heart. It must suck to go though that, but it's good that they're keeping tabs on it. Late night bull riding is none of their business, but a good way to make them jealous. You could always run in circles every couple hours, and really make them wonder. smile

• Posted

That would be hysterical! Ask her to check on your gallbladder while you're at it.

• Posted

We're normal, and everyone else is screwed up. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. lol

• Posted

hahaha yep Im all good for making people confused lol & good idea asking her to check out my gallbladder huh omg lol  Im hearing you girrrrrl..  Jealous people are my biggest prob... just ask my invisible friends Deep, Down & Outer eh 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.