But who is right?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi people on here. I need some specific advice. I am slightly confused because I have just seen my doctor who has contradicted what she 1st said before Xmas, which was it seemed likely i have coeliac disease and the only way to confirm this is with a blood test and biopsies. She now is saying I don't need that and her blood tests at the doctors presume i have coeliac disease. My dietitian disagrees with her and said a camera would be the only way to confirm this. Are they having a laugh? Who is right and what would you do next. I am a strict vegetarian too bear that in mind, i am NOT lactose intolerant though. Sorry but i just want to know once and for all for ME! Confused? You bet!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The only way to confirm celiac is by blood test or endoscopy with biopsies. As far as I know, there are no other ways of identifying it.

• Posted

hi Pippa and that's what she originally asked for and she's changed her mind why????

• Posted

Maybe she doesn't think you have celiac or she doesn't want to put you through another endoscopy since you didn't cope with it.

• Posted

Hi Pippa because i haven't had a camera we can't be definite this is coeliac disease, i was told you have to have a camera but then i'm told no? Either i need this camera or not. The hospital told me they'd see about me having the camera through a general anaesthesic. If they do this and get a result i wouldn't care less. I need to know what this is

Should I go back to my own doctor to see what she thinks? I am at a loss i am playing with food constantly and could be doing more harm than good. I am worried.

• Posted

I would go back to your doctor to sort out the confusion.

• Posted

The blood test can show coeliacs markers which then needs to be confirmed by biopsy of your intestinal lining. This is done during a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Hi leeniepie, i am sure i've spoken to you before. I have just about had enough this not knowing has gone on over 10 years. I need to know as i know work again but need to stay well. I am just getting a little bit upset - no make that a lot. Thanks you've been clearer than anyone.

• Posted

Go and ask why they have changed their mind. You have a right to know

• Posted

Thanks i. Didn't think of the obvious, I will. It's straight forward if i had thought of that.

• Posted

Hi to the kind people who have responded on here. I have an update, i spoke to my doctor for a second opinion re a camera for coeliac to discover the other doctor wasn't correct, she can't guess this is coeliac disease without a camera and biopsies, so i am now awaiting a response off the hospital ad to whether i need this or not. Thank goodness, my doctor is going to tell the other doctor off for scaring me when i didn't need her to do so! I might get half a chance to find out what this finally is! Phew!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.