Button Plasma Turp vs Rezum

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone out there done a comparative analysis between the Button Plasma Turp and the Rezum procedures? I'm kind of struggling to choose one of the two and wondering if any of you chose one over the other,  why and how it turned out?. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am no expert, but I know my Urologist has been doing button turp for about 2-3 years - before that he did Green Light - he told me button turp was less messy and painful. He also started doing Rezum I think because others in his practice started doing it. I asked his assistant how he likes doing Rezum and she said he prefers button turp. My guess is that with a turp he can be more sure he carves out any tissue causing obstruction.

I'll be interested to see what you find out.

• Posted

Not even a choice IMO. Do Rezum first!!! Rezum is an outpatient procedure (an hour total for most) that can be done without anesthesia - although I'd recommend being twilighted as it can hurt a lot. There are virtually no horrible outcomes possible if its a total failure and in the overwhelming number of cases it does the job. Worst case scenario is Retro (dry) Ejaculation. Their study says it happens 3% of the time - anecdotally the number is probably closer to 10%.

Button TURP is a full blown surgery. Recovery times really vary - some are pretty functional in a week, others are still using pads at 3 months. In good hands, this procedure should work fine and leave you intact - but if something goes wrong, (this is rare, but it can happen) you can end up incontinent, impotent or both. And for the most part, at 6 months the result of both options is about the same.

Unless there is something in your physiology that suggests Rezum won't work, I would consider this a no branier. Do Rezum - if it doesn't work you can always have the Button TURP done, but it probably will with a shorter recovery, no hospital stay and very very little risk.

• Posted

Thank you for investing the time to provide such valuable feedback - much appreciated. Ron
  • Posted

Good evening Ron.  What you need to do is read about it yourself.  We can only tell you what we think is good but you are the one to make the decision. Do pros and cons of both First Rezum  is a less evasive procedure.  It does take time to heal because your body has to get rid of the tissue.  A lot of men have had it done and have had good result.  The only draw back is the doctor tell his patients that there is only a 4 % chance of retro but we have found on here that it happen more then they say.  With the Button Turp it is major surgery.  You will have to stay in the hospital for a few days.  Have a catheter for a week and it can cause you more problem then when you started.  Retro is a given with Turp.  It does depends on how good your doctor is.  You may be lucky.  The doctor has more control with the button then the knife.  But it like playing a game.  Sometime you win and somethings you lose.  They have had good results with both.  But you should start with the less evasive procedure.  Do your research before you pick one.  Get a second opinion if you can and also see if you can talk with some of the patients that he has done with both procedures.  If this doctor will not let you then move on.  You should be able to talk with any of the doctors patients.  Remember a doctor can only suggest to you a procedure but he does not know if it will work until it done on you.  All men do not respond to all treatment.  Good luck with what ever you decide.  Ken   
    • Posted

Ken, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Ron
    • Posted

Ron.  It is a big step one that will change your life???  God Bless  Ken 
  • Posted

I had the Green Light procedure in 2015 and symptoms of BPH have started to show up again. My doctor has suggested possibly doing a Rezum Procedure. Did you have your procedure and which one did you have. If you had the Rezum Procedure please let me know any info you may have.

Thank You,

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.