Called in sick first day of work...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was feeling positive last night, looking or ward to having something that gave me a sense of purpose to get me out of this rut. But then I just couldn't get up. It felt almost painful to get up. Depression is one manipulative b******.

I managed to get up to brush my teeth and the voices of reasoning came "it's not that bad if you don't go in" "just tell them you're sick people get sick from time to time" "they probably won't miss you anyway"

And then I rang in sick and went back to sleep, even though I normally get up early when I'm not working! I'm trying not to beat myself up too much cos that's only going to make me worse, but most of me thinks I'm just lazy. Is this normal with depression or am I just using it as an excuse?

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

Definitely a symptom of depression, when I was at my worst I would get up and decide to skip class because I just didn't have the energy to go and I would also make up excuses in my head. It's important to force yourself to go to work, because skipping all the time will make things worse (unless you really don't enjoy your job at all). Are you on any anti-depressants?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi A

you are not lazy nor are you using depression as an excuse.

Depression saps your energy and motivation. In my early days of this illness I couldn't even manage to brush my teeth! How long have you been suffering? Are you taking antidepressants? All these things factor in to how you are feeling.

don't fall into the mindset that you are deliberately doing this. It's all down to this horrible illness

god bless x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks guys I feel somewhat relieved hearing it's not just laziness. It's hard to remember that when you feel like this. I've had depression since I was 15 (now 22). Tried a handful of antidepressants and antipsychotics!! But I'm so skeptical I never stick at them they make me really paranoid.

Currently having cbt so will have to own up to her next week and I guess use this in a positive way to lead therapy. I have always had trouble going into school, uni and now work! And then I feel guilty/failure and the cycle continues!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi absjbs,

The lazy and not wanting to do anything is all part of the condition my friend. I've been doing similar for a long time, only just realised it when my wife told me a few home truths!!! What's important here is that you can move on, you have the strength within you, it's just a case of finding it smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Phoning in sick on your first day is not going to give you credibility.

How far away are you from the employers site?

What I suggest is that you get your business clothes laid out the night before, and order a taxi to take you to the site, if that is feasible. Set your alarm as you would usually do, get straight out of bed, in to your work clothes ready for your taxi.

The fact that you have a knock on the door is going to make you go to answer it, and then all you need to do is just step in to the taxi. You are already in your work clothes so there is a subliminal motivation to get to work.

Try that system and see if it works for you.

All the best.

Chris R

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just been sick I feel so bad about not going in today. I rang in but the message never got passed on to the employer by the agency and so the employer is obviously not happy. And the agency have just rung me not happy to say the least. They don't believe that I rang in sick this morning. They are now on the phone to the employer trying to keep their contract with them. And are yet to tell me whether I still have a job. All because I didn't go in this morning.

So feeling horrible right now and even though I need a job I'm hoping they fire me because I can't face going in tomorrow after all this. I mess everything up feeling really down right now.

I do take full responsibility for what I've done by the way, believe me I feel really bad about it

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi maybe you need to start taking meds again and this time stick to them.   Nothing will change unless you make it.  Depression is an illness like any other and you wouldn't refuse pain meds if you were in serious pain would you?   It's got to be better than being depressed and lacking motivation isn't it?  x
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up