Can a slightly under thyroid level cause problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, im going through hell at the minute with horrible symptoms which have been getting worse iver the last 7 months.

Ive had an mri on my pituitary gland with contrast to see if i had any tumours as it was enlarged. However no tumour was found.

I had my thyroid checked which was slightly under however the doctor said this wasnt classed as abnormal so there was no point in treating it. My prolactin was normal and so was my glucose. But my liver was slightly abnormal too. They did no checks on cortisol which i believe is the problem here.

So basicallyy im just wondering can a slight underactive thyroid cause symptoms? And would a tumour elsewhere cause my gland to enlarge!?

Im freaking over adrenal cancer.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with borderline and I felt absolutely horrible. I dealt with depression and a large amount of physical issues.

I would go to another doctor that takes into account how you feel and what you are going through not just the number on the paper.

I was perscribed the lowest dose and it made a huge impact. I still have low energy days but nothing like what I was going through without the meds.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Okay thankyou so much!

I do have slight symptoms of cushings, well i think i do as google points out. But then i see some of underactive thyroid. Hopefully my doctor will decide to send me to an endo as he said he will talk to his collegues. If he doesnt then ill just have to go back!

• Posted

Can you tell me what your physical symptoms were? I have just been diagnosed with hypo and started on meds today. I feel so bad and feel like I am going crazy sad
    • Posted

It feels horrible doesn't it? But you're on the right track! Before I went on meds my physical symptoms were:

Hair loss

Dry skin

Numb tounge

General fatigue

Muscle fatigue (especially in my legs)

Carpal tunnel in my feet ( I can't remember the clinical name for that at the moment)

Irregular bowel movements

Irregular period

Not to mention the mental side of things! I didn't have any noticeable weight gain and a few weeks after I went on meds I saw an impovement on many of my symptoms. It was suggested to me that I get a journal and keep note of how I feel each day. You'd be surprised to see that improvements (no matter how small) are happening wink

Good luck!!

• Posted

I should also add, that I'm sure a whole lot of smaller physical problems I had MAY have been due to low thyroid (e.g. lower back pain) but I can't be 100% sure.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for getting back to me smile YES it is horrible!!!  I think one of the worst things is insomnia. I am tired but I can't sleep through the night and it is driving me crazy. I really hope this medication kicks in soon. Do you remember how long it took for it to start working on you?
    • Posted

Hi Kim,

As I was on the lowest dose I noticed a difference after a week and a bit. But it was only little things(mostly mental changes). I noticed that fog that I was in began to lift and I could remember things much better. The physical stuff took a few more weeks. Heads up! And be kind to yourself. We all progress differently so if it doesn't happen exactly the same as me don't stress too much. I would say if you see no improvement past 3 weeks it may be worth going back to the GP... It takes about 6 days for the meds to build up in your system.

• Posted

I was exhausted and feeling low. Borderline low, started pnlowest dose and felt a hundred times better. Good luck.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism last November. M Tsh was slightly evelvated 4.01. I was unable to sleep no matter what medication I was given and my anxiety was through the roof.  I have depression and adjustment to he meds did not work and I had never been like this before. The Dr. Said normally this level would not be treated but as nothing else was working she prescribed 25mcg, the smallest dose, and about 2 weeks after I started the synthroid things began to improve. First I slept better than I had in weeks, then the anxiety began to decrease. I am still on the lowest dose and I feel like I have my brain back. I wold discuss this with the Dr. Again. Treating me made a HUGE difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.