Can anxiety cause heavier menstrual cycles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I tend to have heavy flows during my period, for at least two days at the start. I was doing a bit of reading about this because o was curious if maybe something could be wrong, and I saw that being under a lot of stress and anxiety affects a cycle. So I was wondering if my heavy flows could be a cause of my anxiety/panic disorder?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It could be but honestly i dont think its unusual mine was always heavy if i was stressed or not. But if it helps you mot to stress out you try not too. In general stress is bad for your overall health. It helps me to drink a lot of water and ibuprofen on my period
  • Posted

I wish I could say for sure, but I don't know. I had wondered something similar. My period is usually on the lighter side, but there was one particular moment this time that it seemed heavier than normal, and it was when I was in a situation where I felt quite anxious. Before and after this situation, my flow was light, usually can go 5, maybe 6 hours without changing pads, but while I was experiencing higher levels of anxiety, I had to change my pad less than 3 hours later. Surely it can't just be a coincidence.

• Posted

I'm wondering the same thing I have been suffering with severe stress for the past 3 months and low and behold even though my periods are regular still they have been really heavy with blood clots and cramps which I never got before..i defintely get lots of things going on in my body due to stress.. I.e stabbing pains all over my body even my eyeballs, heart palpitations, muscle spasms I'm wondering whether stress can change your cycle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.