Can anxiety cause or worsen acid reflux?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I just want to ask if my health anxiety over a simple burp with some food and a sour taste in it, can worsen the situation.

I have been having mild acid refluxes lately. It is giving me anxiety bc i am such a big hypochondriac.

I took antihistamine for postnasal drip, can this aggravate the reflux too?

I really hate google right now. I have been seeing too many things that worsens my anxiety. Please help me.

Please help me. I am starting to panic.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, it's sounds just what I'm going through t the moment, I think I have post nazel drip and also suffer from acid reflux, my anxiety is so bad t the moment , I'm on 100 mg sertraline and I am constantly clearing my throat all the time is so annoying and swalloing a lot so I seen to get uncomfortable , R u the same
    • Posted

Sarah

not sure if I have post nazel drip but I do find I have a lot of phlegm and have to cough to clear it. This has been a new symptom since I have been on sertraline.  Have you found sertraline helpful?

lynda

• Posted

H Sig

please don't panic ..that happens with burps. If you are anxious your acid reflex will act up.  Anxiety affects all parts of our bodies.  Are you on any meds.  If you are really concerned you can call your pharmacist and ask if a antihistamine aggravates reflux.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda, I think it has helped but I do find i get very nervous and feel shaky, not sure if it's the meds of my anixity , how about u
    • Posted

Yes.  I still am experiencing the inner trembles as I call them. also feel a little 

detached.  Still not wanting to do much of anything.  How long have you been an sertraline?

lynda

• Posted

I've been on sertraline for around 3 months , used to be on citalapran but they stopped working, every day is a struggle the past 6 months
    • Posted

I use to be on citalopram as well.  What dosage are you on.  I certainly emphasize.  It certainly feels a struggle.  Have you spoken to your dr about not feeling better on them?

lynda

• Posted

I was on 20mg ,, I keep thinking its Proberly my own fault as I do like a couple of glasses of wine in the evening so that Proberly doesn't help 
  • Posted

Sig,

yes it it can because when you are anxious you are also tense, most commonly the tension is in the chest. As suggested by others a good antacid should help if not see your GP hope this helps and relax, relaxation is key to reducing anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.