Can anxiety really be this bad??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone...

I'm new to this, and this is my first post so here goes...

I'm a 24 year old female, have been suffering from General & health anxiety since July 2014!

Have tried different meds and counselling ect but I feel it only works for a short period of time. I also worry about EVERYTHING which doesn't help!!

Anyway.... I've been through the whole "am I having a heart attack experience so many times that my local a&e hate me"

I found out today that I've got a kidney infection and have been prescribed co-anoxiclav & co-codemol! I'm terrified to take them but I know if I don't I'll get worse...

I can't sleep at night, im so distant from my partner, I feel like I'm missing out on so much time with my 6 year old daughter! I just done know what to do anymore! All advice welcome :-(

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Leigh,

I'm going through the exact same situation only I'm going on 8 years of this! It's definitely gotten worse this last year as just in the past 3 months I've been to the emergency room 5 times. I too don't know what to do anymore. I currently take citalopram 20mg and 1mg of Xanax when I really feel the worst. I feel the celexa is slowly starting to help me. What meds if any are you currently taking?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh no! 8 years must be hell! I used to take 20mg of citalopram and propananol but I'm currently on no medication as I feel it makes me worse. My biggest problem is thinking the worst! As soon as I get any little pain or twinge in my body I automatically think I'm terminally ill and it sends me into meltdown! For example this kidney infection I googled the symptoms (I know it's the worst thing to too) and I've now convinced myself I've got blood poisoning! I also hate being alone! My partner works shifts and we know a month in advance when he's on nightshift and I just can't cope with it! I'm only 24 and wonder if it will ever get better!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Leigh... my simple response is yes it is! i have always had a stressfull life but deemed myself to be above it and a crack on kind of person... 6 months ago my job became too much and i found my self near passing out. i went to my GP who immediatly diagnosed my with Panic attacks, they were soo serve that  i was getting paraylisis due to hyperventalting... she immediatly prescribed me anti depressants that didnt work at all for me. on nearing a return to work i started to feel anxious all day long and found my panics were happening two to three times a day. i went back to the GP and i was prescribed propranolol 80mg... they lowered my blood pressure massivley and i was in bed for days trying to get them out of my system. Now due to no medication My CBT therapist has diagnosed that i have an anxiety disorder and that im constantly anxious..this is all day long, my symptoms include:

nausea, dizzyness, shortness of breath, tingling/ numbness in my arms and feet, chest pain, sweating hands and feet, headaches, blurred vision and like im in another place sometimes looking back at my self(crazy chic i hear you think). I have never been to my doctors as much in the past 6 months than in my whole life and you feel like your going crazy. I would like to say, im not pushing my story on you, but letting you see your not alone.... i have tried nearly all the teqhniqes given to me, but i find the best medicine is a hug on the sofa off my hubby... when im feeling the need to escape i try to find a calm space and tell myself I AM NOT DYING this is just anxiety over and over....Try not to use google for diagnosing illness as you will drive your self up the anxiety tree and my therapist made a massive point to me that our bodys are flooded with adrenilin when we have anxiety so try to use some... even just going for a walk or heavy house work!  boring i know, but this does help. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh my god, this is identical to me!

a year and a bit ago, I fainted at work on Christmas Eve as I developed really bad panic attacks and anxiety for no reason and like you I was just a 'get on with it' person and didn't seek help for anxiety as I thought it would pass... was signed off from work for a few weeks due to severe migraines that were frequent, went back to work and as soon as I walked in the building, I had a huge out of the blue panic attack lol!

Like you, i've had some absolutely dreadful reactions to 2 medications and totally get the looking back at yourself thing! Like when you're downstairs and you think you're upstairs lying in bed or something and it's really vivid, it's crazy!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yeah but as long as you know your not crazy and you are certainly not alone, the days do get better!! i have had three amazing days then two of major symptoms all day... i find helpful of keeping a mental note of what i do daily helps...eg, i went for a 3 mile walk on one of the days did gardening on another and boring i know, but did loads of laundry and cleaning...but for the past two did pretty much nothing and i have had symptoms all day?? as rubbish as it is that the medication dosnt work for us... i also feel its not actually solving the problem its self!! im still not back at work, but my anxiety over loosing my job is like what ever  now as if anyone is looking at my situation and feeling i could be back there tomorrow and its only stress they have never been through this before....its defo not crazy and i feel your pain.... you just gotta take everyday and let it flush over you... your not gonna die!! its only panic.I actually cant even belive that there is that many people out there going through this!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Leigh, similar to you I have suffered anxiety and worry all my life. I'm over 50 now and cannot recall a time in the past few years when I have not been worried sick about something or another! Last night was one of my worst nights ever and I thought I was actually going to pass out with worry, if that is at all possible. When I last went to my doctors, he has now put he on a to depressants but they are making me feel sick continually. I just wanted you to know you are not alone. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm so glad I'm not alone with this but it also makes me sad to see how many people are suffering! Anxiety is a terrible thing and someone who knows nothing about it doesn't believe all the physical symptoms! I've been on edge for 3 days now due to having this kidney infection & medication! The thought of taking it gives me the fear! I'm still working full time just now but some days are harder than others! I enjoy cleaning (sad I know lol) and we have a lovely home & garden I just wish I could enjoy it a bit more! Fingers crossed it's sometime soon! X
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up