can anyone help me figure something out?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Yesterday I got a really horrible cramp in my foot that wouldn't go away, it was pretty funny at first but when a friend pointed out that my foot had gone a weird shape and speculated (not seriously) about how it might be dislocated, I got kind of freaked out and then started to feel really dizzy and ill, like my vision went blurred, I couldn't hear properly, was really cold and then really hot and I thought I was going to throw up or faint, had to sit on the bathroom floor until it went away. My mum suggested it was shock, but when I googled it the symptoms seemed to be much closer to a panic attack, and I can't really see why either of those two things would happen. Can anyone help me figure out what it was?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you had a foot cramp that can happen out of the blue, and can make your foot look twisted. This then alarmed you and triggered a panic attack.
  • Posted

Hi wellies

I kinda guess here that something started

Of funny then turned to panic upon possibly realising something was wrong

I would say depending on how you've reacted you've got a fright more than anything

Thinking the worse it has thrust a sense

Of fear leading to a natural response

Albeit fear & panic

If your not prone to panic attacks

Then I wouldnt worry

If your worried and you think it is I would

Make an appointment the sooner it is addressed the better

Regards daz

• Posted

You were likely overbreathing (also known as hyperventilation). We think of overbreathing as observable heavy breathing. However, there is very shallow rapid breathing that goes unnoticed by you or some other observer.

Overbreathing leads to unbalanced oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange in the lungs. You would "blow off" too much carbon dioxide, and as well, take in less oxygen. Physical effects of too much carbon dioxide include dizziness, feeling light-headed or faint, numbness in the extremities (hands and feet), tingling in the arms, discomfort in the chest area, confusion, heart palpitations, feeling short of breath.

When you felt faint, that's likely when your eyes were blurry and your hearing was poor. Very common with feeling faint.

These can spiral into full-on visible hyperventilation when someone tends to overthink about the symptoms, however you managed to calm yourself. 

To control blowing off too much carbon dioxide see the following about pursed lips breathing from the "related information" section we see on the right column of this discussion, or click on this link:

https://patient.info/health/controlled-breathing-pursed-lips-breathing

• Posted

Hi,

Thats happened to me on a few Occasions, Especially in my Toe, only started a about a year back & last episode was last week, lying there normal as you like & had cramp like pain & my middle to toes started to bend & stayed there for a few minutes, when i first had to happen to me i thought something serious was wrong, but got told its normal cramp, & the nerves in your foot make it bend a funny shape, I think you went into a Panic attack because what happened to your foot, had Panic attacks for years & its very frightening, you feel like your going to die & your heart is going ten to the dozen, sweats, dizziness, Breathing problems, If you carry on with these Episodes i,d go see your GP/Doctor to for a Check up & Chat, I really don't think you have anything to worry about though, Just for reassurance purposes really!!  funny thing the mind, can play many tricks on us, take care of yourself!!

• Posted

It does sound a lot like a panic attacks especially the way after your friend had mentioned something then seems your mind went straight into worry which caused this and your foot sounds like cramp hun my toes overlap when I get it xx
  • Posted

Hello!

I agree with most of the comments.....I would think that you had a fright, and the symptoms you experienced are typical of a panic attack.  Cramp happens to a lot of people very often.....so if you don't get another "panic attack"  do not worry about this freak happening.  Keep calm!

• Posted

I've had it,in fact,I've had every bleeding symptom that's been on this forum, I'm an expert. The things is,I'm 90% recovered,if I can back to near normal than anyone can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.