Can anyone help please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Fluoxetine for 9 years 20mg and have been ok so I decided to take one every other day and doctor never said anything but for about a month now I have started to experience bad anxiety again so I have been taking them every day again for about 2 weeks. I have been feeling really zombie like, is this a side effect?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I came off Prozac 2 years ago and last year went back to square one gp put me on sertraline for 8 months awful side effects back on Prozac 40mg 8 weeks hopefully it will fully kick in soon when it does ? I’ll never come off it again you have prob knocked all your seretonin to bits I’m sure it will kick back in best wishes vicky
  • Posted

Yes it is a side effect... your poor body would not know what is going on. One day it has serotonin the next day it does not get it. I made the nasty mistake of doing that once and even dropped down to every 3rd day... it soon caught up to me and I fell into a rotten depression again it then took a lot of work to get back stable again. You have been on these meds for 9 years every day... imagine if you drank 5 cups of coffee every day for 9 years then suddenly decided not to have even 1 cup every second day.
  • Posted

Thank you for your comments, I do hope it’s a side effect. Don’t think I’ll ever come off these if it messes with my system
  • Posted

It's not a good idea to wean off by missing days - your brain will start to complain that its missing that dose.  Instead you should reduce daily by the minimal amount you can.  I took 20mg Citalopram (different but still an SSRI) and reduced my dose by 5mg each reduction over 1-2 months each time.  It took me a year to completely withdraw and I had no side effects.  I had come off some years earlier over a 6 month period and had withdrawal effects.

Going slow also is kinder to the body and helps the anxiety not to return.  Also reading / understanding about how anxiety comes about, why it stays and how to help myself was one of the biggest helps in my recovery too and has helped me to no longer fear anxiety and have been meds free 18 months now (though I now take over the counter 5-HTP instead.  Still going strong.

Anxiety becomes a fear of anxiety itself and so it ends up feeding itself.  Anxiety produces fearful thoughts which also cause anxiety which adds to the pot.  Feeling the beginnings of those old familiar feelings can result in feeling unsettled and then before you know it you're back in the anxiety / fear / anxiety cycle again.  Understanding helps so much.

K x

• Posted

If you're doing ok best not to start playing around with dosing at least without doctors advice. Your heading for trouble if you do that especially since you've been on a fixed regime for a very long time.

Why change things now?

• Posted

I have been on and off fluoxetine a handful of times over the years. Yes it is a side effect but if you are having anxiety rather than your depression feeling worse maybe speaking to your GP and seeing if there is anything that can help with the anxiety side of things. If you're in a place where you feel ready to drop your dosage it would be a shame to go backwards. I'm not a gp so there may not be an alternative but it cant hurt to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.