Can anyone help with counting fat?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, there,

Just a quick question: does anyone know an easy way to count the number of calories in your diet from fat? The leaflet in the box says that not more than 30% of your calories should come from fat, but does that mean I have to do algebra every time I try to work out what percentage of calories in my 4 oz chicken breast make up the 6gms of fat it contains? (If so, I might just wing it and take the consequences if I mess up ;-) )

If anyone has some good tips to share, I'd be really grateful...

Cheers

Heff

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm new to taking orlistat, and like you, am confused as to how much fat approx each of my 3 meals should contain (maximum) in order to avoid any accidents - especially as I work full time up London and getting to the loo on time could pose a problem!

Advise would be welcome from you all who have been taking orlistat for a while. Today, I have kept everything I have eaten under 5% fat, but if I can go a bit higher than that without causing an accident, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Leeanne smile

• Posted

Hi Heff & Leeanne,

I'm new to all this too but hav found a little bit out:-

1. don't mix lbs/oz's and grams best stick to grams most packaging states weight in this nowadays.

2. There are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat

3. Here goes with the maths if u really want to work it out. You already know that each gram of fat is 9 calories, so you first multiply the grams of fat by 9, then divide by the total calories per serving to get the percentage of calories from fat.

Formula is grams of fat x 9cals per gram/total cals per serving=total%of cals from fat.

Example if food has 150 cals per serving & 6g fat

6x9=54/150=36%

This is high as we are aiming for 30%

How's that :?: Clear as mud :? :?:

Let me know :wink:

• Posted

Thank you so much for the formula for working out the percentage of fat per item, I have found this so useful. :D
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have been told that on each piece of food that you eat you should have no more that 5g fat per 100g. I got perscribed orlistat about 8 weeks ago, and have not lost any weight then i got a phonecall from MAP an orlistat nutritionist who can help you with stuff, then gave me so much more informaiton than the doctor, so no wonder i am not loosing weight cos i was not eating the right things.

Good luck everyone

• Posted

Hi There Guest

What were you eating before and what did the nutritionist tell you to eat,there are several people on this forum all struggling to lose weight so any tips you share would be welcome

Good luck and im sure you will start dropping the pounds

Alicat

• Posted

Hello, have been taking the tabs for 4 weeks tomorrow and lost 13lbs now, I have stuck to cereal and milk for breakfast, salad, ryvita and cottage cheese/low fat cream cheese for lunch. Dinner I try to adjust what i am cooking for the rest of the family to fit in with me, so lots of veg and chicken breast or pork chop. I can't exercise at the moment as I have a back problem.

I use the rule of less than 5% fat and try not have more than 15g of fat per meal.

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.