Can anyone identify?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had an ok day after about a month of severe health anxiety. "Thought" I felt a bit squeamish a wee while ago. Couldn't eat dinner. Had a little pain under right ribs. Then it started! What if.....the pain gets worse.....I have to go a and e...... I'm phobic about all things medical btw.........I need operation......they find it's terminal cancer........ I have my funeral planned....again!, how will my family cope without me....they are all adults by the way. Result?. Panic!  I HATE this damned thing!!!!! 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi elizabeth, I totaly relate what youare saying. I am 62 and this started for me many years ago. I had a wonderful doctor at tha time who took me seriously, teated me with reapect and gave me diazepam to stop the panic attacks immedately before they could get full blown. He also recommended therapy, which I got and i get better and stayed good for many years. A few years ago I started to have anxiety again cause by problems in my marraige. My new doctor put me on citalopram and that went away. Early last Spring I made the mistake of thinkig I was cured and went off my meds. Big mistake. After some stressful events occured in my life, unrelated to anykind of illness, just involved caring for my 84 year old Mom, the panic attacks started. Firs just attacks of depression, but then the panic. I started bck on citalopram a couple of weeks ago but so far it is not helping. It takes a few weeks so I am not giving up. bTW, my 84 year old Mom has this too. It stole her life from her. I will do whatever it takes, and take whatever will help to not let her example of suffering be wasted. We  here on this community can all relate. We all need each other, regardless of our age. I gooe this helps. I know you have helped me just by writing in. Feel better soon! Kathy
    • Posted

Hello Kathy thanks for reply. I think I've Worked out that health anxiety is always made worse by any kind of stress. Christmas coupled with a chest infection started this episode off! It's difficult to switch off again! My partners mum is 90 and whilst she has more wit about her than me she needs help. Trouble is she lives 50 miles away so it's not easy. Throw 4 children, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandson into the mix so I've had to learn to say NO! This brings it's own problems! You say your mum has the same problem? Do you think it's hereditary? Perhaps nature or nurture?.? I've always felt that because of anxiety I was "wired" wrongly? I am a competent, confident rational woman except in this area where I am a complete basket case! Are you too afraid of doctors? I avoid them like the plague which I accept is nonsensical! Whatever's wrong with me I keep till it goes away! I realise though that age brings it's own problems and this approach will fail me sooner or later. Any suggestions how to overcome this would be extremely welcome. For the moment though......this too will pass. E.
    • Posted

Hello Elizabeth  my reply contained the fact that I take a herb for my uti when I get   one       pot luck with the rest  of my ailments,  hey ho as they say alas one day I will have to  finally give in and go to docs  I had a mamogram last year which was ok and I am due a smear this year as long as they don.t  do my bp I will manage with smear   blood pressure is a true reading of how anxious we are and mine rockets in the hospital and docs take care
  • Posted

Hi elizabeth, you make an intersting point. My renewed helth anxiety started after a bout with te flu. Turned on and won't turn off. No, I amnot afaid of docs. In fact, I am a retired RN. That is not good. I do believe tthis problem could  be genetic. But could also be little ears hearing too much seed planting as a child. I too have alwys been a competent level headed woman. I have hel high level management positions and can reason and make decisions about any other area . But this health anxiety kicks my butt. We can not allow this. We know that we are strong and we are healthy. Maybe we can  help each other one day at a time to believe it. Tomorrow, let's make a pact, tha no negative thoughts stay with us. 
    • Posted

Kathy its my blood pressure it goes high with my anxiety  on sunday it was    98/71  and then can be 156/92 or higher madness  in the doctors last time it was 184/102 thats why i won.t go in therr feare   fear fear fear

• Posted

Hi Kathy I will send you my mobile re private message on here. Feel free to get in touch but tx only please as I am profoundly deaf and can't call or answer calls. Hope to see from you soon. Elizabeth
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I seem to be in the same place you are. I'm 56 and have had HA from an early age. It doesn't seem to be getting any easier, I wonder who will attend my funeral, I'm even packing in a good well paid job to take early retirement in case I don't see retirement.  It is a terrible place to be, getting CBT to deal with it but not sure, although there has been improvments and the counsellor is good, I still have a number of illnesses and symptoms running around my head and body at any one time. 

• Posted

Oh I wish there was a solution for all of us! I have times that are worse than others but it's always simmering just under the surface. Of course with age comes health problems so it does seem to be increasing again. I'm compounded with the fact that I'm phobic about all things medical which includes doctors so I avoid them like the plague! I feel it can only get worse! I requested cbt from my gp and she suggested that "it's just the way I am. Get used to it! " you seem to find cbt useful so that can only be a good thing. Let's hope there's an improvement at least! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.