Can anyone identify with these feelings?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello folks

I'm going through a bad stage of catastrophic thinking it's so intrusive and pervasive. It could be just feeling really flat and shaky that is fuelling it. I had bad panic attack for me, on way to cbt ( I know ironic) and felt very angry and frustrated by it !The therapist had to help me bring my levels down. I managed to go to work afterwards with a help of a friend. Since then I've had a setback in terms of it undermining my confidence and ramping up my general anxiety.

My thoughts are generally about not being able to cope, not being able to work, !getting more agoraphobic, getting more depressed, the feelings of dread, 'what's the point' etc

Guess I need some reassurance. Thank you. X

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

When we are strong and well, don't we always take so much for granted?

Having our health is probably the most important key to our lives.

There are several way to tackle bad thoughts, the first is to realise that it is really our bodies telling us to slow down, and the second is not to take life too seriously.

I know just as you do in your inner feelings that you can if pushed cope with anything that life throws at you.

The secret is to believe just that.

So believe it - just believe in yourself and don't let anything shake you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Rod for your soothing words. It's true I've coped with a lot in my life though I know since my dad died a couple of years ago and despite him being an alcoholic , it was very unstabilising for me and I think it provoked a lot of existential anxiety and it's just built up. Part of the bereavement cycle as well I think too. I've not felt this emotional with anxiety for a long time! Oh well keep going forward and employ some more acceptance. X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi franceska. I know what your going through. I just had a traumatic health scare 2 months ago and since then my anxiety baseline has been much higher than normal. I keep hoping it will fade, and doeis, slowly, but like a tug of war at times it catches me off guard and the negative thoughts come back and it regains some ground.

Keep a positive outlook and keep busy with lots of hobbies and it will be gone soon.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that Matt. I hope your health has improved? Anxiety is such a bugger and it's odd sometimes how it'd triggered. When I had a biopsy and when I told my dad was dying I wasn't as anxious as I'm now! It's the panic I have issue with I let it make me too upset and angry.

Yes that is all good advice I find acceptance and 'going with it' also helps.

Take care

Fran

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Francesca.

The mind and body are two very strange sisters whom at times tend to want to disagree with each other.  Your body will respond physically to what you brain is thinking and feeling.  If we were to sedate you,  that is chemically induce sleep, and take you physically to a remote place on earth, the whole time you were sleeping you certainly would not be experiencing any of these attacks would you? No of course not because your mind is not concious of the outside world therefore; your body stays in a state of rest and not flight.  In theory if we allowed you to sleep for one month you would have one month free from attacks.  This does tell us one most important thing and that is nothing is going to happen unless we think it will, such as panic attacks.

Importantly, you should spend your time thinking and doing more to improve your health and any future problems you may have and spend less time thinking about now.  Eat healthy, get adequete rest, and exercise frequently.  Having a healthy body will give you a healthy mind.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up