Can anyone recommend a knee surgeon for TKR for larger personr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi have been reading previous discussions which have been very interesting. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am registered disabled now as have only recently been diagnosed, once Drs eventually listened to me properly. I use 2x crutches and a scooter to get around. Exercise is very difficult and keeping weight off, even more difficult. 

I have been referred for knee surgery but have been given scare tactics by anaesthetist, so I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and managed to get operation done despite being overweight. Any suggestions (other than bariatric surgery as suggested by anaesthetist after telling me that I could die on the surgeons table!) greatfully received.

Good to hear so many positive recovery stories from those post op! Keep going.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Obviously it's a vicious cycle you can't exercise so you can't loose wieght, 

I was in a similar position, in that for all my joints I was normal weight, then, I had a life threatening illness was given huge doses of prednisone and then put on about 80 lbs. I was miserable. ..not used to it, and I couldn't loose it, so I did have bariatric surgery, and I lost that weight in under 10 months, it was a life saver, not only did I loose weight but I stopped all blood pressure medication etc. Sleep apnea gone to. So don't dismiss it if you really do want to loose weight,..it will make your surgery much much safer...

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice, I will talk to the consultant about it on my next visit. Good to hear other people's views- it's easy to feel like you are the only one dealing with these problems until you find a forum like this. Glad to hear you are doing so well.
  • Posted

Know a brilliant private one 11k for operation. Highly recommend joining slimming world very good supportive approach to changing eating habits and guaranteed weight loss if you follow it plus won't go hungry. Losing weight is key to successful safe surgery and also in the recovery. I joined slimming world post op as I was worried about weight gain due to inactivity and I know I will need my other knee doing. A friend of mine was like you atop and they wouldn't operate until she lost it. Get to slimming world before thinking about gastric surgery it's a much better alternative. Let me know how you get on. It's online too but group is better if ur in this country
    • Posted

Thank you I do go to slimming world and have lost 3 stone already but have plateaued recently. My group is very supportive but the anaesetist po-pooed it and told me to have bariatric surgery, having previously said I would die on the table with knee surgery- gave me lots of confidence as you can probably imagine! I will continue with sw .
  • Posted

When you are very overweight you can go to any gym slimming centre and you will loose weight, but most people put it all and more back on again,.when you are very overweight it's too daunting for most people which is why they fail, me included...

with weight loss surgery you can eat what you like to a certain degree, but you just eat a whole lot less and don't feel hungry,...suggest reading up about it on a surgeons web site. 

• Posted

Depends where you are. For North East Professor Deeham at the RVI Newcastle is excellent. He is blunt to the point of being almost rude, has a wicked dry sense of humour and a brilliant surgeon
  • Posted

I don't know any of the UK bariatric surgeons only  Aussie ones..

i think you used to have a BMI of 35 and over to qualify unless you have other issues then I think it was 32. I've had mine since 2008, so it's distant memory now, don't even think about it.

• Posted

It really depends what part of the country you live in, or in deed which country you live inquestion.  My surgeon is amazing and has never had an infection, gets his patients moving and has fantastic results, but, sadly the same results are not likely unless you are able to be up and moving within 24 hours of surgery. I have lost 29lb since I left hospital with very little exercise, just determind food rationing, and now I am exercising to get the final 14lb off.  I really think you would benefit trying to shed weight before surgery.  Good luck and do keep posting, we will encourage you.biggrin
    • Posted

well done with the weight loss since surgery-I will persevere with slimming world as I have lost 3 stone but it is a slow process.
  • Posted

I just read your information and so sorry for you.Even then, I believe our God is able. I have a back problem and I am now going a Radio Frequency procedure on the acute prolapsed disc. I understand the same can be done for the knees.

Trust in God and all will be ok.Our Faith is part of healing.Peace of God.

• Posted

I am overweight and had the TKR and my knee has done very well. I had the surgery done Jan 5 2015.  The only prob I had was I got sciatica and am going to a chiropractor for that now.  Hopefully she will help.  The knee is a long process and takes patience. Because of the back prob I don't every anticipate doing the other knee.  The back  is more painful than the knee.
    • Posted

Poor you I had sciatica for 6 months and know how debilitating this can be- I found that acupuncture was only thing that got rid of the sciatica for prolonged periods as I had tried everything else.

Thanks, good to hear that it's not totally out of the question to have knee surgery if you are overweight, I know it would help to lose more but not easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.