Can anyone recommend a knee surgeon for TKR for larger personr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi have been reading previous discussions which have been very interesting. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am registered disabled now as have only recently been diagnosed, once Drs eventually listened to me properly. I use 2x crutches and a scooter to get around. Exercise is very difficult and keeping weight off, even more difficult. 

I have been referred for knee surgery but have been given scare tactics by anaesthetist, so I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and managed to get operation done despite being overweight. Any suggestions (other than bariatric surgery as suggested by anaesthetist after telling me that I could die on the surgeons table!) greatfully received.

Good to hear so many positive recovery stories from those post op! Keep going.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The one suggestion I would have is to prepare yourself for after TKR. Do whatever exercises they give you to prepare yourself, the more ready you are the better the outcome will be.  and the stronger you will be for the end result.  The TKR pain for me was not that bad.  Just would not go thru it again because of my back issue.

Finally if you can lose the weight by all means do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.