Can anyone shed some light here please:(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello lovely ladies

As some of you know me from my anterior repair last April, sadly it failed and now waiting impatiently lol for my date which looks like June/August time. My big concern is the time scale from when my urogynacologist examined me to when I have surgery. My worry is what if something else has dropped like cervix, or even back wall, will he sort that out at the time or will he leave it? It make's sense to sort it all out the same time doesn't it? The reason I'm a little worried is a friend had anterior prolapse and when she got on the table her urogynacologist noticed her cervix had come down more during the time of diagnosis to surgery so he placed a stitch to hitch it back up. Matron may be you could advise me here andcany other ladies who can help. I don't want to have more surgery if all can be done at the time if needed. As some ofbyuou are aware I paid for last surgery, but now I'm on NHS and wondered if consultant will go ahead ifvthey see something else needs repairing. We sign a form foir just the anterior, does that mean nothing else will be touched? Thanks so much ladies. Love to you allxxx

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Welsh girl

I had anterior repair but due to the long wait my cervix too has dropped and now need further surgery. Just make sure you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and they examine you close to time of surgery and put everything that could be needed on your consent form. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Debra, I'm not sure if I'll have another appointment before surgery.Did yuyuou? Not sure if wales is the same as england NHS? What repair are yuou waiting for? That's my fear that things get worse during the wait time.x

• Posted

Hi

I had an anterior repair but they realised once they got in there that I needed a hysterectomy as well but because I wasn't consented for it I have to have that done again at some point in the future x

• Posted

Oh no,that's so annoying isn't it. Don't know why this is allowed to happen. Foir us it way more than jusdt an op.it has a knock on effect on work,recovery time and finances. Just hope in only need another repair. Why donyou need avhyster Debra? Can't they stitch the uterus back in place or has bit gone beyond that point. Its such a long wait for another surgery.9 long drawn out months😬

• Posted

The consent forms are slightly different compared to a few years ago. They used to give the surgeon the opportunity to do "whatever necessary" however I think it is more strict to prevent any legal issues. So if your consent form says cystocele repair and he finds another problem, unless it is life threatening he may not do anything about it until you have recovered and he can discuss it with you.  Nowadays with pre op appointments you often sign the consent form at that appointment and the consultant or one of his team aren't at that appointment, it is a nurse but you will have time prior to being wheeled into theatre to speak to him (or his registrar) so you can tell him that if he finds anything else untoward then just deal with it. Otherwise it's another waiting game.

• Posted

I forgot to ask how you are😘 hope your well.. My worry is it would of been 1,year from diagnosis to surgery.. A long time for parts to go south😁xxx

• Posted

That's how it happened with me Welsh girl, I was referee for posterior repair but was told it would be another anterior repair only.

On morning of surgery I spoke to surgeon about my concerns that I was more worried about problem at back end; so she said she would see once I was in theatre.

So grateful after I came back from surgery to be told that both posterior and anterior repaired.

Hope you get it sorted too,

Phyl x ?

• Posted

Thanks phyl,hope your well. I will just mention when I see consultant or his main man and mention my worries. I'm sure it happens all the time. Isnit 3ops you have had phyl? Joy's hey,I think I'll come back a man next time,oh wait may be not hahaha.xc

• Posted

2 ops, 1st time hysterectomy and anterior repair, 2nd time anterior and posterior.

Hopefully that will be it at least until I retire.

I don't want to come back again at all but if there is a second chance at life in a paradise where we all stay young and don't get sick or need repairs then I'm all for it.

I can always dream!?

Phyl x

• Posted

Yes love I'll sign up for that lol. Was the hyster for prolapse or fibroids. My mum had an an hysterectomy in 1979 and she has had no issue at all..not even any prolapse etc.how strange and I have.may have something to do with she took hrt.xx

• Posted

Do you think bladder prolapse brings down the uterus phyl? Matron are you there also☺
    • Posted

Hysterectomy was for prolapse.

You might be right about HRT, think that it replaces the depleting hormones which seem to cotribute to drop in cologen levels and therfore weaker ligaments.

X

• Posted

The physiotherapist explained it to me she even showed me a diagrahm that showed how it all collapsed pulling everything with it, but can't remember now what went first!

They way she explained it was that the back wall of bladder is the front wall of uterus and the front wall of the bowel is the back wall of the uterus, and is all connected. So if one bit prolapse it pulls on everything else.

Hope this helps,

Phyl x?

• Posted

I have just looked with my mirror, looked awful all lumps and bumps. I'm in tears because I can't believe thiis has happened. Ive thrown out the god dam mirror lol.x

• Posted

Try not too worry; I had back and front walls repaired this 2nd time and it all looks and feels good. Using estriol has thickened up the walls and they are much stronger. Repairs are holding strong and not as dry as it was after 1st repair. So glad I got this done 2nd time.

Despite tight scar tissue libido not been this good for years and everything working well: bladder and bowel both doing great and vag.. tingling and moisturising in a good way.

You will be going for surgery this time very well informed and be able to get the best outcome; and the forum with all the lovely ladies and matron will be here when you come home. You already have the knowledge you need this time to get the best outcome from your surgery.

So lots of hope for the future; I'm sure it will all be fine and all worthwhile in the long run.

Phyl ?💕

• Posted

Always best not to look in mirror; midwives cut me just as I got a tear at same time when I had my first baby, so was left in a stitched up mess when I was just young.

I was all knobbly with stitches and the outer lips were all droopy and looked like dryer up prunes hanging. But at end of day it all smothed over at back and everything worked as it should and that's the important thing.

X

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl,

Can you ring & speak to your consultant's secretary? Some don't like to do front & back at the same time & anyway they can't always tell until they get in there. When I had my AR he said he couldn't promise that he would be able to do the hysterectomy at the same time but he did. As you know since then my back wall has gone & everything else has dropped a bit too!

Won't you have a pre-op appointment with him? I'm sure he would want to examine you again before surgery. Speak to his secretary & tell her your concerns or write to him if that's easier, explain how you feel and what you can see. Things can change in a year you want to make sure you know what he plans to do.

Don't get that mirror out of the bin! 😘Xx

• Posted

Thanks phyl your very reassuring.. The only thing I'm doing different is taking the vagifem, which will strengthen up the tissues before. and after surgery. I will be doing exactly the same as last time,rest and nothing else hence why I'm shocked it failed. I'm very slim also so its not my weight. I just pray my new urogynacologist sorts me out this time. Matron googled him and she said she wouldn't hesitate him working on her. what I do know is he works with what's in front of him as each lady is different. The last one uses a techniques which is standard for him.xx

• Posted

Hahahaha no I won't love. I've already had my pre asses test incase they get a cancellation and I'm ready to go. I diud mention my concern to his secretary before Xmas and she said hecwill examine me when on table and wontbget another appointment before surgery.. I dont want to be a pain in but however I will mention my concern when I see him the morning of surgery. He is one of the best in country so I'm sure he knows what's best.just don't wantbto keep having surgery as its a big financial burden with taking 2months off work may be longer and I don't get SSP as I'm just part-time. Itsca nightmare really.I had my gallbladder out 3years ago and it was a breeze compared to this. Oh well I must keep up beat and not let it get me down.how are things with you love?xx

• Posted

Sounds like your new surgeon knows what he is doing! The vagifem will make a big difference. I don't understand why ladies are not immediately prescribed vagifem as soon as they are diagnosed with prolapse

X

• Posted

Yes phyl I agree,and also physio to strengthen before surgery and have a better chance of success. Itsca never ending saga phyl. I've been taking it since last August but I've definitely seen an improvement of moisture but the bulges are there to see at entrance when I look..xx

• Posted

All be sorted soon, you'll look like you have a brand new designer vag... before you know it! If you get your surgery in June, you'll be on your way by September and by Xmas you'll be like brand new! Yippee, 'keep your eye on the prize'!

X💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.