Can anyone tell me about CBT please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram since last Feb also taking sleeping pills, I went back to work in May having 3 months off work. I went back part time for a month or 2 then back full time. 3 weeks ago i started again with this damn depression so went back to Dr who has referred me to have CBT. Still signed off work i go back tomorrow for another note.

Can anyone tell me about CBT? I have received the letter which i have to ring tomorrow to make an appointment to speak to the Nurse i also have to fill in a form of how i have been over the last 2 weeks, ticked all.

Also how long would i actually have to wait to be seen as i am really in desperate need now. Been hitting bottle too much this week as well which i know is not good with the med but it just numbs it for a while. Many thanks in advance. x

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It is used to try and change thinking/behavioural patterns - to try and change negative thinking/perceptions and bad behaviours into postive/good ones, to help the patient overcome their personal difficulty, and allow them to become more 'functional'.

If you're being treated for depression, you might be asked to assess your views of yourself/others, etc.

I can't really tell you what it's like first-hand, having never been to a session myself - but I do know there are good success rates associated with CBT, so it's probably worth making that appointment and going along to see how it works for you.

Good luck x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI M, regardin the CBT i would recomend u try it and give it a go, its not 4 every1 and we r all different. I have been goin 4 about 3 years now on a weekly basis and i find it helps me.You may not need 2 go that long it depends on the root of your problems (mine goes back 2 my childhood and other issues inc deppression 4 the last 16 years). As 2 how long will u have 2 wait depends on your situation, u will probably b asked 2 go 4 an assesment and a chat with some1 first and then it will said if there is anything they can help u with or if CBT is thr right way 4 you, if so then they will probably send u an appointment through the post. I hope this has helped u a little at the end of the day they r ther 2 help u. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Many thanks for your posts. I rang today and i have to wait until 26 Nov and that is only for an assesment, which to me is so wrong. I can't afford private treatment but i am willing to pay for a consultation with someone who then just may be might push me up the ladder. Feel so bad again today i need the help now before it's too late. x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi

CBT does work - it has for me.

its all about how your thoughts affect your mood which alters your behaviour and can lead to physical reactions in your body . It encourages you to view things from a different angle . We all have automatic thoughts ( hot thoughts) which carry the emotional experiences

we go through. CBT teaches you to deal with them and view them differently ie wheres the evidence ( for the negative thoughts ) ,

balanced thinking

Good luck and cut down on the booze it increase anxiety and depression

Gill

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey,

ive had CBT for nearly a year. seeing a psycologist and councellors. Ive had deprssion for 3years now and ive just been put on citalopram. as ive only just turned old enough to be put on anti depressants. I was on amytriptaline. CBT really helps me and I would reccomend trying it. some days im not in the mood to talk but thats ok. but on other days where i am in the mood to talk ifind it really benificial. and after i leave i feel so much better and my mind feels that little bit clearer. even if it is only for a couple of hours.

Its defo worth trying. Good Luck. I hope anyone reading this feels better sooon

Bex

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

M

CBT is the best thing i ever started, my psychologist tells me its not for everybody. But for me it is brill. been going 20 weeks now after along waiting list. I find it works for EG your neighbour who usually speaks walks pass one day and only waves and dosn't speak as they usually do. well you got ot think maybe the neighbour has something on her mind it's not you! You'll be taught thought processes and be able to read people a lot better. Good luck. hope this helps. smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up