Can depression lift as quick as it came?

Posted , 4 users are following.

if so I think it might have gone, I'm at the doctors tomorrow, I don't want to be on tablets, it might be the time to come off or reduce them. I feel so much better.

2 likes, 64 replies

Report / Delete

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yeah im the same i asked doctor if they could do acupuncture but the said i would have to go private so im considering it ,just dont want to be on meds and all the side effects 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't stop too soon!! It's likely to be that the tablets are doing their job so you feel better. As tempting as it feels to want to stop them. Speak to doc first and consider what's changed since you started them. Often recommended to stay on for at least six more months after feeling better. Would u stop a medication that's helping reduce your blood pressure for example....? No, you'd stick with it because it's working. Obviously it's up to you and antidepressants are a very personal choice and we battle with taking them, strangely. We seem to look at depression differently to other illnesses. Good luck though! Feel pleased that you feel better. Be kind to yourself.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Can you feel happy and still have negative thoughts about yourself? I was thinking I don't remember when I liked me. I don't think I ever have. It sounds strange I know.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

you cant be happy and have negative thoughts its one or the other so please keep saying good things about yourself and stay posative you will feel so much better 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Nothing has changed, the only thing is work is putting less stress on me. My home life will change, but for the worse, we are waiting for the end, could this year or next but not to long.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes you are a good person you have just lost your confidence thats all ,you just have to have faith in yourself again start reading self help books and the Secret .Once you start reading you wont be able to stop and how can you expect people to love you if you dont love yourself ,you must start this process to feel good about yourself and give happy vibes from your body smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You need to give it longer than eight weeks though. What non-drug methods have u tried? Counselling and/or online/face to face CBT are invaluable. I obviously don't know you or your situation and preferences and we're all gonna be different, but if you are unwell you treat it. How you treat it is a decision you need to come to. Speak to doc about antidepressants and non-drug treatments also. Are you getting intolerable side effects?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

yeah try come off them if you can long term its better for your health smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes it can lift and go away. Depends what life experiences brought it on or if a medicine caused it, which happened to me and when i stopped the meds the depression was lifted. You do not have to take medicine if you do not want too. There are tons of alternatives as well but maybe a counselor is a good idea just in case you start feeling down again.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am on medication, for 8 weeks and seeing a councillor, my situation is my mum has terminal illness, dad not well and having a op, my nephew need open heart end of February, and work stress.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How long have you been on the medication ? GP's tend to want 3-6 months with out depression. A few days back you had loads of stress and depression and now it has settled I am just worried  you are stopping way to quick. That said it is very much your life and body and if your going to do it speak to your gp.

My vote would be to stick with them and get your self thru the difficult times.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thats sounds like the drugs are just starting to begin working to me, anti depressant are for a few weeks. Your gp will want to see you depression is in remission for at least 6 months. Everyone goes thru this stage and some think they can come off the tablet cause the moods lifted.

Your GP is unlikely to support your decision and if you go against your gp then should something go wrong and it was to return how do you think you will feel having to go back ? I think you would feel worse.

The decision at the end of the day is yours and you may be just fine, but history and what other have gone thru would suggest your more likely to fail and get worse. Sorry to put it bluntly, you may be the lucky one but you have a huge fight to come off so quickly

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It scared me earlier when I felt out of control, too happy, I know sounds wierd, I haven't felt happy for such a long time. I was on a high, out of control, I'm back down again to normal and feels better. Maybe you are right, I will continue for a bit, I don't want to feel like I did. A number of occasion I didn't want to carry on. Thinking now I'm back level I might have been to quick. I don't want to go low or feel that high either. I want to be normal.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

you going to get better dont worry about that but give your body a chance. So when you going to change your name, cause your not a failure. Your a strong young lady and you have already in a previous message on here mentioned your name. take the first step tonight and lets be positive xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

do you think that you can ever come to like yourself? Friends and family say that I must let people help and they love me, but how can they when I dont like myself? That's one thing that I can't get my head round!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That triggered something about support.. My family are "supportive" but.....

However what they do is guilt trips. ie I visit the parents, they cooked a good meal then offered the rest to me. They were "dissapointed" when I said I didn't want it "but its a waste!" they said.

I call that mind abuse, cause they planned something for me and then blamed me for not accepting it.

Same at Christmas evenm as a 20+ y.o.. they bought stuff even though I said don't .. then they said "Oh well you'll have to take it back." which for someone who doesn't want to dissapoint is doubly bad 1. dissapointed the parents. 2. dissapointed the shop as I have to take it back.

We now have an agreement that if I see something good, they can part pay "hey thats part of yr Christmas present"

They still buy stuff at Christmas though.. Brother gets angry at them, I get angry at the situation and can't resolve it.. so go downhill..

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think you can , but as I said even I am inpatient adn want to feel it now, the fact is ( and I accept this more and more each day ) is that  I need to give it time to get rid of my demons/triggers/issues.  And you can only do this one by one you cant take on 100 of different thoughts and feelings. Nobody can. Tahts why having a diary ofr list that you tick or rate where you are  with these things helps drive you and rememeber some of the hard steps you have made to get you were you are today.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Agree Jimmy.

Is it that same with everyone that all issues are as bad / feell bad as the worst issue?

Positively, just going for a walk does help.

The relief you get from ticking off something on the diary list - or even knowing that you have an appointment to address the issue really helps.

Its knowing you have been acknowledged that feels good...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The GP has left me on 40mg and will see me in a month, that's a good sign as been seeing the GP every two weeks since November. I will continue on them, thanks. When I look back at what I write it surprises me what I have written. Then I think what was I thinking and where was my mind. Today I can see that it's stupid, but so real at the time. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up