Can emotional upset cause severe hyper episode?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Yesterday a few things happened which culminated in arguments. Or more me trying not to be embroiled in arguments. I just cannot cope with any sort of conflict right now but someone was ignoring my pleas and things got very stressful indeed. I am currently on 5mg of carb with TSH 4.8 and T4 around the 13 mark (although this was 2 weeks ago and I have a feeling that T4 may have been creeping up a bit lately). Last night I took myself off to bed to get away and had the most terrible night of racing heartbeat and chest pains. I had no sleep even with two sleeping pills and took an extra 5mg pill this morning to try to calm me down. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but heart has calmed down a bit now. My question is, is it possible for severe emotional stress to cause this? Thanks.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Dear evergreen YES.

You needed to have called for medical asistance. You must get chest pain checked out? How are  you now?

Avoid these situations if possible.

Are u on any cardiac drugs? Do you get angina ? Have u got a blood pressure machine  ?

Do u have access to a dr in a and e etc.

Walk away from arguments. Just turn your back and walk out of the room, nothing is worth getting chest pain nfor. Let the other personn think they have won then get your own back later on or another occasion. 

• Posted

Thanks. I nearly called an ambulance but didn't in the end. I can't take beta blockers as get a bad reaction to them. I had this all the time when I was first diagnosed hyper, but thought those days were behind me. I didn't realise how quickly stress could trigger a relapse. I feel better now. My heart is around 70 which is still high for me as my normal rate is 60, but I don't have the pain any more.

• Posted

I experienced severe heart palpitations when first diagnosed as well. They seemed to be worse at night. It's a vicious cycle because staying calm is the best thing, but how can you when feeling so poorly.

• Posted

Thanks. Had a much calmer day today with an extra carbimazole and no arguments. Pulse is down to 62 which is about normal for me,
  • Posted

If I get rushed and stressed, yes, I have a hyper attack, sweats, shakes etc, like a nervous episode , and I'm told to pull myself together!!

i tell them what my endocrinologist said

you can't help it when a chemical reaction to stress occurs luring thyroxine/ adrenaline into your blood, you can't simply 'calm down' , it's a process of trying to relax while the extra chemical burns out!!!!!

intry to avoid getting stressed, and I've found also, a Valium helps when a bad attack threatens....

• Posted

Thanks. I took two temazepams in the end which helped a bit but I still couldn't sleep due to the pounding heart.

• Posted

My primary always says that stress will worsen any existing conditions. Hope you'll have better days ahead. Try to distance yourself from toxic atmosphere, if at all possible. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks. It's immediate family so very difficult. But I am just going to refuse to discuss the subject concerned.

• Posted

Good idea to avoid the stressful topic. We have to be responsible for our own health because people sometimes forget how debilitating this disease can become. It wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your endocrinologist also.

• Posted

Absolutely. Stress triggers a chemical response in our body and can aggravate several diseases. Hyperthyroidism, as per experience, is particularly susceptible to effects of stress.
    • Posted

Thanks. I thought it must be why it happened, but it still shoocked me due to the speed of onset and severity when I had been within a normal range for weeks and was taking carbimazole.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen

Don't let anyone wind you up.

It is  psychological abuse and against the law.

Distance yourself, you have to .

• Posted

As you have already wisely stated refuse to discuss the subject matter.

Read Carl Rogers and the Person Centred Approach.

• Posted

Try not to worry about your heart, listen ave you tried Cardicor it is a cardio selective beta blocker but very low dose, obvously a POM. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.