Can hardly walk 2 years post PKR???

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am beyond belief right now.  PKR went well, then several months ago I began to have problems with my knee giving out and dropping me to the ground. Dr took x-rays and said everything looks fine but you need to strenthen your quad.  PT therapist said it was the IT band. We have been working on strengthening and all of the sudden yesterday, my knee locked (I cannot straighten it out) was intensely painful and I had to hobble with my knee bent to get around.  Before this all happened I was walking fine, dancing and all of the above with no problems.  I am freaking out over this and now feel disabled.   Has anyone else experienced this?  

PS  I also have crepidus and clicking in my knee which sounds like it is catching on something

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

what type of dancing are you doing? Often have you been dancing on the PKR? You very well could have done some damage over an extended period of time that is just now revealing itself. Pain doesn’t happens all of a sudden. We tend to ignore it until it becomes uncomfortable. You probably have something malfunctioning in the knee get it checked. Have you had an mri done
  • Posted

HI !

I had partial May 2016. Previously was a runner. Was told no jumping or twisting at all .

Something obviously happened to lock the knee. 

Not sure if that happened before or after you saw Dr. But certainly that doesn’t sound right .

Sorry your going through this . I’d really lay low , ice , elevate and get back in to Dr.

Debbie

• Posted

Have you asked your physical therapist for exercises to strengthen your IT band? When I had my BTKR, the IT band on the left leg got really tight and caused extreme pain. My PT showed me exercises using a long strap with loops on either end that I used to pull my leg and strengthen the band. She also massaged the IT band a lot and taught my husband how to use my rolling pin to work kinks and pain out of the band. It took a few weeks but it all went away. I’m a ballroom dancer so I was surprised that I didn’t have strong IT bands or do they get injured during surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.