Can I ask a silly question.

Posted , 11 users are following.

This maybe a silly question but when you are doing the harder exercise, is your knee supposed to actually hurt ? I realise it would be sore afterwards but I mean actually during exercise.

0 likes, 29 replies

Report / Delete

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i would say no. i do not have any medical quals or experience but as someone who used to train hard 4 times per week or more, knees did not hurt and when they did i was diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patellae due largely to my very active life style. I am currently experimenting with Gopo as i have heard on the grapevine that it is very good for joints. only a few days in and slight very slight difference to knees. Wont go back to the sort of exercise i ued to do but looking forward to seeing what i can do now.

hope this helps

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not too sure my knee aches when I push the bend especially the muscle which I first thought was a displaced kneecap such isy ignorance on knees. Mention it to the physio or doctor to double check
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When I had my initial tkr in 2004 the protocol was to start off on a stationary bike for 20 min to loosen, then lay face down on a fable. There the therapist would grab an ankle and try to hit you in the back of the head with your heel. I am sure there are still fingernail marks in the frame of the table from the patients of that era. Absolutely terrifying process with pain levels that made the so called level 10 look pale in cparispm. Fast forwarward to 2013....same therapist, all new protocol. Stationary bike, but instead of peddling all the way through, sop at the top, hold for count of 10 the peddle backwards , hold and start again. Do this for 20 min, hurt some, yes, mind numbing pain,no. As i v said a number of times, my therapist preaches "up to, but not into pain". Obviously, each new thing you do is going to hurt, therefore there will be certain levels of hurting, that's why you take pain meds an hour or so before therapy sessions so you can do more and hurt less. Definition of the words " hurt" and "pain* would then be important. Yes, you will probably hurt while exercising but you shouldn't be thrown into unmanageable pain levels. Stay with the program, try to accomplish a little more each time and be sure and rest so the body has a chance to heal. A tiers body is at a terrible disDvanrage over acrested onen

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

yes mine hurts when I do some exercises, at the side. 

Presumed this was natural xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I forgot one thing..... There ate no silly questions on this forum. If you have something that concerns you, its real and someone probably has been through it or wondered about it themselves.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi susan i didnt realise that you had tkr surgery. I have given my experience on the basis that i havent undergone tkr. Apologies
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It should feel stretched and maybe hurt but not agony just go to tolerance level and count to ten then release but don't overdo it. Little and often
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

having trouble replying to anyone there something wrong with the website i have had partial knee replacement and i find there's no benefit ave ofat all i am really struggling
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Had a partial knee replacement on left leg on the outside 11 weeks ago. I am still having pain in knee cap when standing from a sitting position and doing squats, and to the left side of my knee at the backI have a pain that brings tears to my eyes if I move to the side. I feel that something is not right but don't know who to go to. I have just seen the consultant, only a few days ago, and all he said was come back in six months. I read on here how well you are all doing with your total knee replacements and I feel i should be doing so much better.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Susan -sorry to hear you are suffering!! Have to say it seems the norm!! Yes in the first few weeks after my TKR all the exercises hurt especially the one where you have to tighten the muscles just above the knee - literally brought tears to my eyes every time! Hope things improve for you soon!! X
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The straight leg lifts use the thigh muscle as well as the knee one which feels weird at first there is another one where you sit on the couch put a rubber roll thing under your knee and then try and lift your leg my brain still hasn't got the hang of this one - yet
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh yes! The rolled up towel under the knees and then raise lower leg and lock the knee - eye- watering for the first couple of weeks! Can now do my ten reps quite easily though still not comfortable.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Martina sparkygirl and peglegbev _sorry go be late responding. Been away from the tablet for 24 hours! Yes its the exercise where you put a rolled towel or suchlike under your knee then straighten your leg WITHOUT lifting the leg off the towel - this pulls those muscles just above the knee quite seriously! Don't know if the surgeon cuts things anywhere in that region (just couldn't bring myself to watch this darn op on YouTube) but I have quite a bunchy feeling in that area that wasn't there before as if its things stitched up and healing still, don't have too much swelling otherwise
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE!  BIT LATE, BUT I'LL GIVE IT A TRY!  I WATCHED HALF OF THE YOUTUBE OPERATION, BUT BEGAN TO FEEL A BIT QUEasy half way through, and left it.I'm sure he does cut things there! . .  Sorry about the capitals. . it's always happening to me . . . 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

This the exercise that my physio was most keen for me to work on - she thinks it is more useful than the straight leg lifts. But they all seem to have different approaches! It can be a bit confusing.  I used to have a really strong stomach - remember avidly watching the "Your Life in their Hnads" TV series - but these days I am not prepared to watch.  Leave it to the experts to worry about what it all looks like inside!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm with you ....that's what they went to school for. I worked in a state operated mental hospital while in college. I had all of that stuff I wanted then. We have a nephew that is an infectious disease doc

He couldn't wait to get through his surgery rotation while in med school. That was enough for him

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Another excercise that uses the thigh muscle is the straightening your leg and flatening it on the bed even if your leg doesn't go completely flat it definitely uses that muscle.

As for watching it on You Tube I am happier in ignorance as I am such a wuss

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up