Can I choose between the two?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been to see the ENT dr, who has recommended a labyrinthectomy as my medications have failed to control my Ménière's Disease. I was diagnosed with MD in 2007 by an ENT consultant surgeon.  She has referred me to the consultant surgeon (ENT) to get his opinion as she has recommended chemical labyrinthectomy under a General Anaesthetic as I'm extremely scared of needles and of things around my ears (both long stories).  I would like to know if I could actually choose a surgical labyrinthectomy instead as this would only involve 1 G.A.  and my hearing in the affected ear is practically non existent as it is.  I would prefer the surgical option and believe it would cost less in the long run than the few trips to theatre that would be required for chemical one. Can I choose a surgical one instead? I see the surgeon for an outpatient appointment next Saturday (18/03/2017).

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Terri,

I am in the states. In December I had surgical Labyrinthectomy. Although I'm just now getting my balance back I'm glad I did it. Getting used to being totally deaf in one ear takes some getting used to, but it is manageable. GoD Speed!

• Posted

Hi, Has the surgery gotten rid of your dizziness and vertigo? I am really considering this! I had the endolymphatic sac procedure in 2010 ,but now I am dizzy most of the time! I'm just sick of it! Thank you! God Bless!

• Posted

The final decision lies between you and the surgeon, There is good and bad in both options and the experience of the surgeon has to be considered. Your general health and any other problems you may have need to be considered. Write a list of your questions and get as much info as you can for both options to make the best decision for yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks Donna, 

I realise this obviously, my hearing in the affected ear has practically all gone anyway, my general health isn't brilliant but I've come through a major op (hysterectomy) before really well although that was 6 years ago, mind you I am 7kg lighter now than when I had that done.  The dr recommended going under general anaesthetic for the chemical labyrinthectomy but that would require a few GA's whereas a surgical would be just the one, which might even be cheaper in the long run. There's no guarantee a chemical one would work and I may have to have a surgical one eventually and I really couldn't cope with the symptoms again, they're horrendous now. I have all this written down for Saturday.

• Posted

Has intratympanic steroid injections been tried?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

No, but I'm absolutely terrified of needles and I especially hate anything around my ears. I used to be fine but I had a nightmare of a time with a dr trying to get a blood sample out of me in hospital in December 2015. It took him 5 attempts and he eventually had to go into my foot to get it, each time he dug in like mad making it really painful. When he finally got the blood out of the sole of my foot I was so traumatised I've been left with a phobia of needles.  I hate anything around my ears as when I was young I got a model aeroplane wheel stuck in it, I don't remember how or why, but I had a medical check and they discovered it and sent me to the local hospital and after lots of prodding and poking, I required my ears syringeing to get it out, they got it out with that but it left me with an ear infection which in turn then caused my ear drum to perforate. So I now hate anything around my ears, I hate it when I need to put ear drops in.

• Posted

Objectively, this is the next best step in your treatment that should relieve you of at least a significant number of your problems and allow you to live your life better.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.