Can I lower my dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine for about 10 weeks, went up to 40mg about 6 weeks ago, I've really tried to be patient with the side effects but his last week my anxiety is just as bad as before I started these and my depression has increased. I don't have a doc appointment for 2 more weeks but want to get off of these, if I go from 40mg to 20mg until my doctors appointment will it have a lot of side effects?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have just passed my 6 month mark on 40mg and only in the last month have I felt totally stable. Stick with it.. life happens.. 6 weeks is still way early after an increase.
    • Posted

Thanks Lookingonwards. I'm just know getting to my 5 month mark. Been up for a two week span then down for 9 to 10 days. Then up for a month then down a few days. Was it like th S for you as well? I remember that you said you were on citalopram as well before fluox. As was I. Should I give it a bit more before adjusting?

• Posted

I've been talking with Katecogs as well. It's been long too long it feels just wanna feel well again. It feels like when I do have a good span I'm wondering ok when's the blip?

• Posted

Thanks Danny for replying.

I have been reading this for am for a month now, I never said anything, all of the stories I read got me through when I upped to 40mg and the side effects I figured ok it's normal but at 10 weeks, 6 weeks on 40mg I thought there would be more good days than bad, the last couple of weeks have been rough. I'll try to stick with it longer but it's affecting my life just as much if not more than without meds. I'll be strong for awhile longer.

• Posted

Yep... exactly like that for me!! Up where I think ohhh this is actually going to work...then down... but now the off days are very rare! I am also mindful when I do have an off day if it is situational that is causing it. My Doctor got me thinking about that... he said it is very easy to just blame things on the tablets but you need to look at what is also going on in your life at that time.
    • Posted

In essence when you do an increase it is like starting over again... so in my eyes I would say you have only been on them for 6 weeks!
    • Posted

Thank you lookingonwards, I'm going to be patient, was just getting frustrated, the comments helped.

• Posted

Thanks Lookingonwards. I'm just know getting to my 5 month mark. Been up for a two week span then down for 9 to 10 days. Then up for a month then down a few days. Was it like th S for you as well? I remember that you said you were on citalopram as well before fluox. As was I. Should I give it a bit more before adjusting?

• Posted

And like I said I've had the good moments days and weeks. Is fluoxetine just that slow of a worker.

• Posted

It is very slow... but I find it way better than Citalopram once it kicks in properly. I think way to many people abandon these meds as they expect them to be a quick fix... but if you just hold on for the rough ride they are so worth it!
  • Posted

Hi Sam

I would stick with it a bit longer love as it will kick in soon enough. Tell your doctors you need an emergency appointment because your struggling with your medication.

Good luck x

• Posted

It was at about the 10 week mark that I started feeling better for about a month or so then a few blips since. Right now is one of those blips but just looking forward to the up again. And hoping the blips are further and further apart as was stated.
    • Posted

Yes, I'm probably just having a really bad couple of weeksm just disappointed as the anxiety is really messing with my life and causing the depression. I'll keep fighting. I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.