Can I reduce my dose for 3 days? Only 1 week in.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 20mg Citalopram for exactly 1 week now and am getting the usual side effects, I am attending a festival tomorrow which lasts 3 days and I feel these side effects may prevent me from enjoying it as much as I could, or possibly at all. My step mother tells me reducing or stopping them at all could be really bad but I feel that after just 1 week I have not adjusted to these tablets yet. I am wondering if I would be ok just taking half of one (10mg) a day just for those 3 days. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Aaron,

There is no point in reducing you will have the same side effects because the med is still in your system and you won't enjoy the festival any more or less. By reducing after such s short time just messes everything up and if you want to get better you have to take responsibility for this, your step Mother is right. It is nice to know you have someone that cares as some don't and I suggest you take her advice!

If you are planning to do some mind altering drugs on the festival then you'll mess things up even more man! Most of us have already been there (and still go) a festival is about the music and if you can't get a buzz outta that at this time then that is a shame!

One thing we have discussed here several times before is the fact how music really lifts us, even when we are down. Just by cranking up the volume having a good sing, shout and even dance really helps man! If you stick to the med as prescribed you can still have a beer or two (or three, but I shouldn't admit to that or I'll get in trouble!) and have a good time. Trust me, you do not need any mind altering drugs to have a good time. GO! Enjoy! Take yer meds! Get better sooner. There are plenty more festivals over the horizon if, in the end, you don't go to this one.

Good luck young man,

David (58)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ps While replying to yer text Aaron, all I could hear was Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam now) singing Father and Son!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would NOT do it Aaron. The effects of CIT are built up over time and stopping the process before it really gets started is probably not a good idea. Just make sure your closest friends are aware and ask them to watch you. Especially if you drink because amnesia (blackouts) is a common side effect. Good luck sir

John (74)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am regretting starting them. I was not told that I would be stuck taking them. I would have been fine at the festival without them had I not started since I will be with friends having a laugh and would not be depressed at that time. The side effects are quite nasty for about 4 hours after taking the pill until I feel normal again. I was really hoping there would have been some way to reduce that.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Aaron B, I would stay on them buddy they are starting to work hence the side effects, changing or stopping the dose may make the festival experience worse! at least now you know how you are feeling now "the devil you know and all that" I found in early stages they made me feel brighter so thats worth looking forward too take care friend!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice guys, I will take them with me and continue the dosage. But lets say a month or so down the line I had an occasion like somebodies birthday and I wanted to go out on the town and get quite drunk, would I be able to  miss my tablet for one day so I could do so? Otherwise thats a huge inconvinience and I will end up weening myself off of them and coping without anti-depressents.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No you can't reduce the medication for a few days.  It won't make any difference to how you're feeling at the moment, as the meds build up over time.  What will happen though is you'll feel very ill if you reduce them for 3 days and will make yourself much worse than how you feel now.

They're not meds to be taken lightly.  You can't just dip and out of them.  Do not miss any doses.  Missing a tablet in order to drink will not make the slightest difference in what's in your body - it will make you very ill though if you miss one.

Dont regret that you started taking them, and you're not stuck on them either.  You're taking them for a very good reason, and whilst you might feel 'not right' at the moment with side effects, stick with it and you'll be the life and soul of the party next time you go to a festival.  It'll be worth the wait.

I've taken these meds for many, many years and I still drink at parties.  It might not be advisable so early on taking them, but if you do, just go careful and monitor how you feel.

If you really want to get overcome depression and anxiety, then you need to persevere with these for a long time and have much patience whilst they get into your system.

They changed my life.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The way I feel throughout the day on the tablets is fine, I do not feel ill in general, just for about 5 hours or so after taking the pill. Is this normal? And will it stop happening? After the 5 hours or so I feel my normal self but I get quite drowsy and nauseous until then.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I wanted to add that the temporary drowsieness and nausea is quite severe for those 5 hours and I wanted to make sure this is normal so that I know if I need to ask my doctor for something different or not.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, feeling drowsy and nauseous is quite common when first taking these.  It does wear off after a few weeks.

if you miss any dose, the nausea will be much worse, and you'll get a headache too.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good Morning Aaron,

Well, I hoipe you manage to get a fairly good nights sleep and have given this some proper thought. As you can see there are a lot of people here to help and you have to realise we are all saying the same thing "don't stop your meds!" and of course "they are not to be messed with" or "taken lightly!"

Not to go on man, but we have all had our doubts, wanting to stop, scary moments, paranoia etc., etc. You must therefore realise we are not having a go or anything like that we are trying to make you understand that when you're ill, if you seriously want to get better then you have to do the sensible thing which is simple take yer meds, get through the crap and get better! We cannot spell it out any simpler man!

One you will find is that there are some of us that are suffering for many other reasons, some you wouldn't want to ever experience or wish on yer worst enemy.

"Welcome to the Club!"

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good Morning AaronB,

Well, time for a sitrep! How are you man? Did you go to the festival? What about the Cita etc., etc.

Not only are we concerned for you, but also we need to know what occurred so others may (or may not) learn from it. When I talked about responsibility last week I meant it to also include us that are here to help eachother too!

So here I am, what's occurring?

Regards,

David

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply I have been quite busy since returning. I did go and I took my tablets, luckily I didn't feel Ill I got over that side effect just in time. I slept well considering there was drum and bass playing really loud until 4 in the morning, after the first night at least once I purchased a foam mat for under my sleeping bag! And now I'm home I am sleeping real easy without the booming music I got used to, I don't keep waking up either. At the festival I did smoke some cannabis with no adverse effects, I tested the waters a few nights prior to the festival by smoking a tiny bit at a friends house. In addition I think the tablets are starting to work, I am feeling better and have not have had an "episode" for a few weeks, I was getting upset and into a state almost daily before taking them. I know it was irresponsible of me to smoke weed but in all previous experience this natural high has never interfered with any manmade drugs/medicines in small dosages.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good news man! Not that I encourage drugs 'recoverying addict' if you have a handle on the pot and its minor use then you should be ok?

Sounds like a good distraction and the right meds will pull you through this set back in life which is great well done !! 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Excellent news! There, you see, you were getting yourself a little worked up and decided to take the advice and what a learning curve that was. You now realise that Cita is a friend to take to any festival and I am so glad you still had a great time.

I do not condone the taking of any non-prescribed drugs, but you took the right steps by testing the water so to speak with the old weed and didn't do anything stupid. I live by the saying (well one of many) everything in moderation, even moderation it self! It is just the way to look at your self, this precious gift called life and get the most out of it for as long as is possible.

Keep posting Aaron and take care!

Regards,

David

Ps I say I don't condone it, I should be honest therefore that I cannot condem the taking of these either. As I also smoke a little 2" (5cm) J (weed only) once a month for my osteo-arthritic kness and it works for me. Couple of bottles of ale too and I'm in the "healing" zone.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up