Can someone help? I suffer from acid reflux and IBS for many years

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been suffering from acid reflux and IBS for many years. I am taking Pantoprazole 20mg and Metoclopramide 10 mg everyday. I eat blands food and still getting stomach burning. I don't know what to eat anymore. My stomach is always bloated and I am constantly tired all the time. I don't know what to eat. Having this condition has affected my teeth, my teeth are stained and eroded and have to see Dentist every 6 months and have fillings onces a year. Can someone please suggest what to do? Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara

I would advise that you have food intolerance testing done. I used to suffer similar problems and most of my issues went when I stopped eating the things that I was intolerant to. Just because you eat bland food doesn't mean that it will help. I was doing the same thing but was intolerant to potatoes, cauli, bananas, strawberries, sugar and oranges/. So all the things I thought were healthy were actually doing more harm. It may help

Good luck

• Posted

If you have had ibs for years and ppi's aren't helping then you might want to try a new approach. Your stomach needs acid to digest the food and trigger release of digestive enzymes. If food isn't digested correctly it will feed bacteria in the bowel and cause bloating. This bloating can cause bile reflux. This can cause gastritis in stomach ie burning. I'm not a doctor or medically trained. I do have some experience with my wife having GI problems for 40yrs. Myself treating my own bloating and reflux successfully. I would wean myself off ppi's. Start takeing digestive enzymes with meals. Read up on nightshade foods. (They can cause gastric problems and other health problems)

Low stomach acid symptoms are the same as excess acid. So ant-acids could make your problem worse. What you said about your teeth might suggest silent reflux whilst your asleep. Try sleeping with bed head raised 6 inches. Correct digestion of food will give you more energy. Hope you find this helpful.

• Posted

Thank you for your email. Can you please recommend which digestive enzymes should I take? I did try to stop taking tablets, but my stomach was burning lots and I was finding it difficult to eat and was close to tears. My stomach is constantly bloated. Can you please recommend what food I should eat? I have had blood test done and everything was normal.
    • Posted

Hi Sara. I have had stomach problems for 18 years now which started after having too many antibiotics and painkillers. My stomach also burns, I have poor digestion, am very bloated and also get very tired. I find I bloat if I eat foods that are hard to digest. I just wanted to warn you that I tried to take a very gentle digestive enzyme a few weeks ago and it caused me a lot of pain and burning. I have heard that they can actually cause gastritis so be very careful if you try them.

I have a very bland diet but I do tend to eat the same foods every day and if only I could continue, I think I could sort my stomach out. The trouble is when I start to feel better, I start cheating.

I would read Ines's discussion on how I cured gastritis as her diet is very good and is working for her. I do find that if I eat easy-to-digest food, then my energy leves improve.

All the best, Emma.

• Posted

Hi Sara, 

1. Is it IBS (Irritable...or Inflammatory)?  2. how long have you been on each of these  two exactly?  3.Has Hpylori been ruled in or out? 4. Any recent blood panel results that were "abnormal"? (out of range).including TSH?

In the meantime, Do exactly what gallee suggests...in particular...immediately without hesitation....ween the zole, that's a PPI... take digestive enzymes, and keep your head elevated nightime...I'll suggest you take 1 tab of bismuth (250mg approx) pre bedtime...no food 3 hours before bedtime, take 150mg of Magnesium, and sublingual B12. (reasoning...long term use of a PPI)...once you've answered the four questions...its possible to give you more targeted information and hopefully help. Our best to you...Claudio

• Posted

I have irritable bowel sydrome..I am 34 year old. My acid reflux started with stomach bacterial infection which I got in 2010, i was given antibotics to take and then had endoscopy twice now, got small hernia hiatus. I have been on these medications for last 5/6 years, and have used omeprazole 20mg, then 40mg esomeprazole for 2 years..now I have changed it to pantrozople 20mg.  I don't know what to eat ....i try to eat salads, cucumber, white rice ....can you please recommend what I shoud eat? I am constantly tired all the time. My blood tests are ok, I was anemia last year but now i am ok.
  • Posted

oops....question 2...How long have you been on each of these two "MEDICATIONS"...sorry for the oops. oh, and I know well these two meds,

Most recent US FDA warns practioners that PPI's are for SHORT TERM USE ....Claudio

• Posted

I have been on these medications for last 5/6 years, and have used omeprazole 20mg, then 40mg esomeprazole for 2 years..now I have changed it to pantrozople 20mg. I have had endoscopy done twice and have small hernia hiatus. I don't know what to eat ....i try to eat salads, cucumber ....can you please recommend what I shoud eat? I am constantly tired all the time. My blood tests are ok, I was anemia last year but now i am ok.
    • Posted

Hi Sara, I was awaiting your info as I was almost certain you had "had"  an upper endoscopy and perhaps

other tests plus blood test results...didn't suspect you had two upper GI's.

I've read your reply to me a few times to be certain I have adequate comprehension.

I don't have all the answers nor does anyone...there is a saying...I got from Steven Shackel a Brit living Down Under (Au)....YOU CAN CHOOSE TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING OR NOT TO BELIEVE ANYTHING BOTH WAYS SAVES US FROM SERIOUS THINKING.

No one can take control of your health...not your doctor nor any one....but You Can. And

I suspect your on this road presently....and your "quite capable"... That's good stuff.

This may be long winded........sorry..

Before all else...the two med's you are taking do not address IBS?

The Zole or PPI is targeting excessive acid.

The other is targeting gastroprasis (an aid to get food from your stomach into your duodenum or small bowel...also to prevent vomiting..less so for migraine

and not for a "spastic colon (IBS)"...there are other meds for this conditon 2 mentioned below).

If you were "animic"......you can wager it was due to mal absorption of needed stuff..and you'd win this wager hands down.

The major problem with Zoles (PPI's) is they prevent absorption of IRON....big time.... plus MAGNESIUM AND VITAMIN B 12.

gallee sugested you ween the PPI...100% correct and its usually done by slowly reducing dosage, alternating dosage time... 

To replace the acid reducton part of the PPI...take 250 to 300mg of Bismuth in the evening pre bedtime..one day following your start of the ween process...

This can continue thru out your trial to help your resolve your many problems.

Your lucky to the extent your only 34...you have an excellent chance of recovery...as we grow older, becomes more difficult...less patient

OK, to make an attempt to answer your questions:

what enzymes and what to eat.

I presume the "stomach bacteria" was "hpylori" or ??

Because your stomach is "burning" I will "guess" you have GASTRITIS...ines has some excellent

info..please check her out..."how I cured my Gastritis"

As you know Gastritis is "inflammation of the stomach lining"...

Food: your saliva has good digestive enzymes when all is working...pepsin is the major player..

eat slow...get those natural enzymes to work.

Supplementation

Slippery Elm...take the lozenges if you can...150mg...take two initially pre meal time...

PepzinGI....take during your meal (zinc, carnosine) in the US I see two major suppliers...Doctor's best and Source Naturals

Probably many others....supposedly the Doctor's best formula is "patented.

DGL...........take 750 mg...either chews or capsules between meals or when you feel discomfort.

Others.......Enzymes are plenty...HCi, apple cider vinegar...dr's suggest Pancreatin...supplements even more...these are

the players....mastic gum (for hpylori) Mullin (mucus production to protect the stomach mucosa and lining

of both the small and large bowel...manuka honey..to sooth the throat...Glutamine (Oncologists provide this

via IV for cancer patients that experience severe stomach problems due to specific Chemo....can he purchased

in powder form...suggest no more than 2 to 3gm x 2 daily...this is the most abundent amino our bodies produce

but compromised systmes lack adequacy...Bromolain/Quercetin...and nattokinase for inflammation...

Basic vitamins "if tollerated":  C, E, D3 with K2 only, A (small), multi B

Basic supplements                :  Milk Thistle 500mg once daily, pre bedtime

: Zinc Gluconate (25mg max)...free copper can build up in your system due to the

mal absorption of needed "binders" that attach and purge. Small amount only...50mg

is pretty much standard...those who have excess use 100 to 150mg.

I probably have missed some...will review later and "add or amend".

Food:  Our University of Maryland suggests...small meals...nothing raw..except Papaya. so, All must be cooked..including fruits...I agree.

All kinds of vegetables..leafy may be the best but squash, beets, carrots etc...are excellent. They also recommend putting everything thru a blender...I agree at least for 2 to 4 weeks...difficult but...

Keep a diary...jot down immediately anything that gives you trouble. When you delete one, add one and when you add, add only one at a time so you can immediately determine the negative.

Eat low-fiber forms of high-fiber foods, such as well-cooked fruits and vegetables rather than raw fruits and vegetables.

Choose mostly low-fat foods, but if you can tolerate them, add small servings

Avoid fibrous fruits and vegetables, such as oranges and broccoli, that may cause bezoars.

If liquids are easier for you to ingest, try soups and pureed foods.

Drink sips of  water throughout each meal. (I would suggest pure pomegranate juice mixed 50 50 with filtered water..4 to 6 oz max main meal only)

Try gentle exercise after you eat, such as going for a walk.  

The Chinese protocol is to do a 2 day fast water only......then fruit juices...then soups...then  cooked foods with limited fat and oils.

They also exclude all Milk products except yogurts provided they are tolerated..otherwise acidophilus/probiotics...and use

intermittant very small amounts of fermented foods. They also use rice soup...merely over cook rice in water until its really mushy and yet with plenty of liquid...gradually adding easy digestable protein...usually from soy(putting the hard beans thru

a grinder like a coffee grinder turning it to powder.) they too gradually add well cooked and diced vegetabels.

..in lieu of walking they do slow movement exercises...taiji *tai chee)...with

deep breathing exercises.  

Recovery is not fast...improvements can be experienced quite quickly...and this is where so many patients go South".. assuming

all is well. Much like that of eating a meal before the previous meal has been completely digested and sent on its way down the tubes...

Can cause severe bloating resulting it big time stomach pain. And some patients merely get bored with their "baby food" and dig into

their favorites...and bingo...back to the beginning..sometimes "worse".

In summary,  I would want to know if my "assumptions" are correct and if not..please explain....you said your blood work was normal

but did it include TSH?...Who diagnosed IBS? and do you have access to the stuff suggested? (I don't know what country where you reside).

regarding Buscopan with Merbentyl (for the treatment of spastic coloni.e IBS) These could be of some benefit should the above suggested

doesn't work ..if infact you do have IBS? (I only question this because of your dr's prescribed meds)..like gallee suggested

you could have some blockage in the pyloric valve area thus the bloating...not IBS...if you experience some mucus in your BM's you may have CD...from

an overgrowth of yeast?..again..not IBS...if your reluctant to explain...and its "legal" with this forum's management, you can e mail me with my

full name...and I'm a yahoo type.

Hope your doing better....would sure like to hear from you that things are improving...its the very best kind of  news.

Claudio

• Posted

Thank you for your email. I live in UK. I will look into these medicines.  My stomach bacteria was hpylori. I think some of these medicitations you have suggested will have different names in UK. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks
  • Posted

HI SARA,

JUST READ YOUR E-MAIL THIS A.M AND I WOULD STRONGLY URGE YOU TO SEE YOUR G.P.WHO WILL SEND YOU FOR AN ARRANGED ENDOSCOPY AND THIS WILL PUT YOUR MIND AT REST.

I HAVE BEEN ON OMEPRAZOLE SAME TYPE DRUG AS YOU FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND I NEVER EVER HAD A REVIEW IT WAS JUST HANDED TO ME AS A REPEAT PRESCRIPTION.

IN APRIL I HAD TO HAVE THE REMOVAL OF A WISDOM TOOTH UNDER LOCAL AT MY DENTAL HOSPITAL AND AS STANDARD I WAS GIVEN AN ATI BIOTIC WHICH CAUSED MASSIVE STOMACH&ACID REFLUX PROBLEMS.

MY OLD MALE G.P DIDNT PICK UP ON THIS AND A NEW LADY G.P SENT ME AS A MATTER OF URGENCY TO HAVE AN ENDOSCOPY DONE.THAT WAS 2 WEEKS AGO AND THEY FOUND BENIGN STOMACH POLYPS WITH LOADS OF INFLAMMATION FOR WHICH THEY HAVE SENT AWAY A BIOPSY.I ALSO SUFFER FROM I.B.S AS DOES MY 92 YEAR OLD MOTHER AND 2 SISTERS ALSO MY VERY FIT 40 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER UNDERWENT COLONOSCOPY+ENDOSCOPY LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF THE BLOATING.

CONSULTANT GAVE HER BLOOD TESTS AND A SPECIAL STOOL TEST .

SHE WAS ADVISED THAT HER SO CALLED HEALTHY DIET WITH FIBRE+FRUIT WAS CAUSING THE BROBLEM NOW SHE HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY TOLD NO BANANAS,ONIONS,STRAWBERRIES TO BE EATEN AND THIS DIDNT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT BUT THE BLOATING HAS NOW GONE! SHE HAS BEEN GIVEN BUSCOPAN WITH MERBENTYL TO USE WHEN REQUIRED AND IT IS ALSO VERY EFFECTIVE.

LIKE ME SHE STOOD HER GROUND AND ASKED TO EITHER BE SEEN BY A CONSULTANT OR TO BE SENT FOR TESTS VIA G.P.

ALTHOUGH IT IS INTERESTING TO FOLLOW PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ON LINE I WOULD NOW SUGGEST TO-MORROW MAKE APP TO SEE THE DOC.

I HAVE PRIVATE DENTAL TREATMENT AND GO EVERY 4 MONTHS THIS COSTS ME THE PRICE OF A DAILY NEWSPAPER DENTIST WILL GIVE YOU AN N.H.S PRESCRIPTION FOR A TOOTHPASTE AND IT REALLY HELPS.

MY ANTIBIOTIC CAUSED ORAL THRUSH AND IN TURN CAUSED MY PROBLEM[S] GET DENTIST TO CHECK FOR THAT.

HOPE YOU GET RESULTS AND SOON SHOULD TELL YOU NOT TO LISTEN TO TALES OF ENDOSCOPY TESTS I AM 64 TOOK THE MILD SEDATION ALL DONE AND DUSTED AND HOME WITHIN 45MINS OR SO.

GOOD LUCK KEEP POSTED

• Posted

Sara/Beth

That's weird that you had a problem with bananas & strawberries as well as me.

I would also advise that you get food testing done as there is a strong association between that and reflux.

The body produces more histamine/gastrin and other stomach enzymes when it is struggling to digest food it doesn't like.

Just google food intolerance and gastrin etc etc

Let us know how you get one

• Posted

I have been suffering with this too....I'm feeling helpless with all these pills that don't work.....if you haven't tried colonic irrigation I suggest you give it a try...that's seems to be the only thing that works for me....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.