Can someone tell ME if these lab results could still be causing my symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I went for blood tests yesterday due to a follow up as I was referred to hospital due to unexplained symptoms and my TSH was 2.0 (reference ranges where 2.0-5.0) and my T4 was about 17.4 ( might not be exact for the dot coz forgot the last number after seeing it)

If your TSH is at the lower end could that be what's causing your symptoms? The consultant dismissed the fact it's on the lower end? My previous results where 2.7 and 1.54. Are they supposed to change like that?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to get a paper copy of your lab results.  I know of no lab where the reference range for TSH is 2.0 to 5.0.  Also most Endocrinologists who follow patients with hyperthyroidism draw blood for Free T3 and Free T4 and you need to post the reference ranges for those as well.
    • Posted

I have asked for paper copy of results but they have told me i needd to sign a form and have the practise manager make a desicion and i might have to pay up to £50 depending on how much info i want.
    • Posted

You are only going to need one page copy.  I doubt that the laws are different in UK than North America.  Check your Patient Information entitlement laws in UK and then demand them.  Some docs do not want patients to be proactive but the proactive patients do the best in their recovery.   She can't charge you 50 pounds for one page.
  • Posted

In earlier times the TSH tests were not as refined and the reference ranges were more to the high end like what you report, but in the last few years the tests have become more accurate and the reference ranges are more standardized, but the normal range can be more like (0.4-4.9).  I have usually felt HypO thryoid with my TSH any higher than 2.0.  Also, my TSH has varied much more than my Free T4.  It also looks like your test was for Total, not Free, T4.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up