Can't cope anymore.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm really struggling to cope. Been on an increased dose of Fluoxetine for almost 4 weeks. I improved after a week but now I'm back where I started. People keep telling me that it will get better but I'm not convinced. Yesterday I felt awful during the day but by evening I felt fine and it seems to be happening again. Right now I'm in tears and terrified of how I feel. I'm frightened I'll never get better. I realise that what I'm experiencing could be an adjustment period but it's so awful. I can't keep feeling like this, it's so confusing and scary. Is this sort of thing normal? Can anyone relate to this? Just want so much to be normal.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

They say six tomeight weeks trial then make decision if to change but if you are desperate contact your local crisis team for advice.  Personally i started on 20,, no good, then 40,worse, then 60 and ended up in hospital and taken off.  Changed to another but takes some time to ease this illness, not a quick cure 
  • Posted

Hello, its normal to feel better and then relapse, it happens often after a dose increase or change of meds. It can feel worse in a way, as when you feel fine, you think you are sorted, and are not prepared for dealing with a relapse. Mornings being worse and you feeling normal in the evening are also normal. You want to give your med every chance, so really you want to give it another 4 weeks, to see whether you start to improve more consistantly. All that you have mentioned are what most people through after a dose increase. Unfortunately, its a question of time on the new dose.
    • Posted

Thanks for your helpful advice. I guess I am rather inpatient and when the low feelings and thoughts start it makes it worse. I also have children and am a single parent and I find myself constantly worrying about the effect it has on them. It's so hard to keep going so hearing positive advice helps. Thank You.

• Posted

Sarah honey, you are normal! You can't just snap out of it because if you could, the damn well would! Yes, I can relate to everything your saying. I've had days where I just feel really down and just continuously cry. Then I berate myself with thoughts such as god, this crying is pathetic! But I really have no control over. My husband will ask:,"what's up, why are you crying? I just am, no reason." yeah but what has upset you? "right now, you, asking stupid questions!i do understand the fear you feel I've had it for year. Trouble is, the symptoms are so severe and distressing that we unsterstandably fear them which of course only makes you feel worse. Ultimately Sarah, it boils down to whether you can weather the storm. Until hopefully thing will feel better. Keep me posted. Donna xxx

• Posted

Thank You. My fears of my feelings are what currently controls me as I just don't understand them and why I get them. I will keep you posted, many thanks for your kind advice x

• Posted

I went through the same thing you just have to give it time. Have faith and god bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.