Can't cope anymore! How to get through it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am struggling with depression, and feel I can't do it no more. I just upped my medication in the last few days. I've gone from 20mg to 40mg (citalopram) Sometimes it would be easier to go go sleep and not wake up. My mother has MSA, and is near the end and my dad is having a new knee, can't see how I will get through. I feel I could run, but my head is always there. How do you get through the real dark days?

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi shar thats a big jump from 20mgs to 40mgs you will have ups and downs the meds will make it seem worse until it gets in to your system it will take about a week hang in there it will get better for you I was like that for a while as I am on citlopram as well I was on 20mgs then 10mgs and now I only take 5mgs I have been on this meds for 7 years I still have ups and downs xxxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

http://www.msatrust.org.uk/living-with-msa/newly-diagnosed/what-is-msa/

Hi, i didn't know what MSA was so forgive for looking it up like this but i notice on that page that they have a tab listed 'regional support groups' is that any help to you? Do you have any help with your parents, if you're the primary carer then that's going to no doubt cause you stress, it would for anybody, don't be afraid to ask the professionals for help, depression wise this site has good people who will try their best to listen to you, myself i try to exercise, even if it is just at home, raises 'happy hormones' i also like puzzles and books but sometimes there are days when you just want to explode right? I too have that go to sleep and fed up when i wake up feeling. It's like a yoyo right, i guess we cherish the up moments when we're down, take a breath and a minute or two enjoy the silence and refocus, i'm not a success story myself, far from it, but that's the best i can come up with apart from you're a star for looking after your parents like that, hang in there, Nick.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Not many people have heard of MSA, it a horrible disease. My mum went from fit, to wheelchair bound, difficultly with swallowing, talking and holding her head up within 5 years. She has had it for 7 years now and life expentcy is 7 to 9 years. My dad has two knees that need replacing and a now a hernia. Which will need an operation for. There so much going on, I had a new boss and putting extra pressure on, as you could tell my work has been really bad, I can't focus on it. Just find out my nephew who is 3 years old, needs open heart op, which will be in Feb. we do get help for mum in the morning, but the rest is between myself and my dad. They don't know anything about my struggles as this would really upset them. I know what you mean about excerise but don't seem to get time or the motivation to do it. Nothing seems to help. I am getting help via the hospice mum goes to. I've got it tomorrow, it's my second time there. I just never knew life could be so hard. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Shar44002, 

You just have to take it a day at a time and have faith that there will be better days ahead. I haven't tried medication so I don't have any first hand experience but I have had very low days and I find I can feel better if I focus on the here and now and what I want for this moment. Having a cup of tea or a nice long bath can be comforting and although it doesnt ease the problem and can be helpful if you can find something relaxing. Setting yourself a small task for the following day can be helpful, even if its just taking the rubbish out or taking a walk to the park, these things may seem small but they can give purpose and a sense of achievement.

I hope this helps 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You need to find something in your life that you enjoy; such as, a hobby. For example, I love listening to music, playing with my dog and spending time with my family.  I also love to read.  Because of these activities it helps to take my mind off things that are not going so well, and believe me, there are many.  Don't focus on just the bad things in your life but spend more time focusing on the good things. They say that depression comes due to what we spend our time thinking about. Change you thoughts and you could change your life. Take care...
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I understand what you are saying, it's just so hard, all the things I did don't seem to make me happy. My mind is so negative that it's just so hard. My counsellor told me to write two positive things a day, sounds easy but is so difficult. I didn't realise how hard it is to deal with this.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I hope you are starting to feel a little bit better. Even if it a small bit. Don't struggle in Silence you have me, Julie, Nick, Faye, Lawren. that 4 new people that understand and are here to help you. 

There are some really special people on this forum, some who have become great friends and ome that are there to kick start you when your down 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up