Can’t get a diagnosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone, just posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience or could offer any insights. about a year ago i had my wisdom teeth removed. After recovering from this surgery i began experiencing severe bouts of stomach pain, chest pain, sore throat, nausea, and constipation with bouts of diarrhea sprinkled in that last days at a time. I saw a GI doc who prescribed nexium for morning use and sucralfate for use before meals and at bed time.

The prescription meds seemed to help and several tests later i was diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), given an antibiotic course and sent on my way. The antibiotics seemed to help in the short term and for a few weeks i was fine. Then bam same symptoms pop back up again. After several endoscopies, a colonoscopy, and a pill cam study im told that I have inflamation from my stomach up my esophagus and they dont know why. Finally an endoscopic ultrasound is done and its determined i have gallstones that dont present on regular scans.

I have my gallbladder removed and after the surgery feel okay. Then bam a few weeks later the same symptoms again. I have no idea what is triggering these episodes as my diet rarely deviates. There will be a few weeks where im fine eating pizza and fries and then i have an attack and grilled chicken constipates me. I've used all of my sick and vacation time at work through various doctors appointments, ER visits, and days when i have my attacks. I have no idea whats going on and everytime i have a solution presented to me the problem returns weeks later. Im beyond exhausted and at wits end with having my work, gym, and sexual life severely hindered while my doctor submits me to test after test with no definitive answers. If anyone has any thoughts/insight i would be beyond grateful.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The only thing left for you to do is to consult a certified dietition or nutritionist who can construct a daily menu for your condition.

• Posted

If it seemed diet related i'd def see a nutritionist. However, i can eat the same foods and and have a wildly different reaction depending on the week. I dont know whats causing these flareups but it doesnt seem to be food.

• Posted

You would need a nutritionist to sort it out for you if nobody else can help you.

• Posted

It seems you already have several diagnoses. The inflammation in your stomach may be gastritis; was that mentioned? IBS could be another possibility along with a recurrence of your previously diagnosed SIBO. Avoid fatty and greasy foods which are not good for gastritis or post gallbladder removal. It doesn't matter why you have these conditions. Simply accept the findings of your tests. Do a food diary to work out what other lntolerances you may have Try eating lots of fruit when constipated. Are you experiencing diarrhoea? If so, ask about the possibility of Bile acid malabsorption and ask for a SECHAT scan which identifies it.

• Posted

Not so much diarrhea as constipation. It feels like something is stuck somewhere as i never feel as if my bowel is completely empty and what does come out is a very loose. Maybe a fecal matter gets stuck somewhere and the loose stool is all that can get around it? The current line of thinking the doctors seem to be going with is GERD, as im having a procedure done where a sensor is put up my nose and down my throat (which sounds horrible by the way) in order to monitor stomach acidity over the course of a day.

• Posted

Acid reflux alone would not cause constipation. I have chronic acid reflux but I am still able to go to the loo most of the time. I only have a bout of constipation and incomplete evacuation when my IBS flares up. You can also get reflux when you have IBS too.

• Posted

interesting. So it could just be really crappy IBS flareups with reflux as a side effect. Thanks for the info. Do you take anything to help with that? I'm currently just taking the nexium and Sucralfate and try Miralax for constipation but it doesnt really help, just causes small amounts of loose stool and leaves the feeling of constipation and incomplete evacuation. I took Linzess for about 5 days and it made me feel incredibly terrible. Havent taken any other constipation meds.

• Posted

It could simply be IBS which can cause reflux. You doctor may be only looking at one of your symptoms rather than all of them as a whole. I take lots of fruit for constipation and occassional Buscopan or painkilkers for the pain. All of these things work for me. Maybe try fruit if the constipation meds don't help you. OTC antacids or milk help my reflux.

• Posted

i really appreciate the tips and responses. Probably not worth mentioning, but my symptoms abate and i feel better in general when on an antibiotics course (i took antibiotics for Small bowel overgrowth and then for a groin infection i developed while n the hospital for my gall bladder removal). Could that be a clue/piece of the puzzle?

• Posted

It may be Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth again if antibiotics help. Antibiotics and diet are used to treat it.

• Posted

Something similar happened to me after I got tooth infection and got a root canal.

I got an endoscopy and found h-pylori.

Had to take triple therapy.

Ask your doctor for hpylori.

I always wonder the cause of this infection. And I come to the conclusion that:

lack of sleep and hypertension ->caused-> immunity problem -> caused-> tooth-infection-> caused -> bacterial infection in stomach.

I am not sure though, but just what I could calculate. Could it be the same sequence of events in your case too?

• Posted

No idea, but you're not the only one to mention H. Pylori so its probably worth looking into.

• Posted

Get the tests done. That is the only way to know.

It is detected either by stool test, endoscopy or breath test.

• Posted

I'm scheduled for some type of PH test where i have to have a tube down my throat all day, so i assume they're thinking GERD. But i will 100% mention it at first opportunity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.