Can't recall such discomfort and pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my second knee totally replaced 5 weeks ago (age 77) and cannot recall so nuch discomfort the first time round.There was some early infection (antibiotics) and exercise regime seem to be o.k., but the wound is still rather red and I cannot get pain free except when the kee is rested up and then of course it gets stiff, vicious circle. My foot is also stiff and inflexible. Night time is the worst as cannot get comfortable on my back with legs straight. Day time pain relief is basically paracodol and morphine at night. The swelling is to be expected but hinders every effort. Am, I being impatient - 2 hips 2 knees in 5 years is a real bind !!

Surgeon says walk, walk but easier said than done as we all know.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ahh it's must be awful for you but it's only 5 weeks, I only had a arsthscopy 4 weeks ago and still stiff and pain sometimes, perhaps you are being impatient but it all take time, keep smiling and I am sure each day will be better for you . Very big op compared to mine so take care Bev
    • Posted

Thank you yes it is a big op. when you look at it. Will try to keep smiling. Good wishes!
  • Posted

hi david i feel your pain pain reief seems to be too little you kneed more or you wont be able to excersise and then you will have more problems also the pillow between knees is the only way i could get relief and had to do it for months .he is right about walking but paracetamol is not enough to be able to do what you need to do ,i at the begining after bi lateral felt like you wanting to keep the leg up it felt much better but it delays your bending and if you fall behind on that its a mountain to climb .you have had alot done in 5yrs its not esasy its the last one hopefully so give it all you can its early days
  • Posted

Hi David,

I agree that you need to look at your pain relief. Paracetamol doesn't always help with a headache so it won't touch the sides with the TKR. It's a good base to combine with other stuff though. I was told it works much better when mixed with other things (obviously check it can be).

I am 14 weeks post and waiting for further surgery to straighten, I was taking Oxycodene until week 10. This is worth asking about as its not quite as strong as morphine but still packs a punch. I was taking 10mg 12 hour release and had liquid form for when I needed a boost.

Until you get this right, you'll struggle with your exercises. My ankle was really painful following my op. It did take a while to settle down. It was badly bruised in the op as this is where the surgeon gripped to bend and straighten the leg. You need to remember that it's a violent surgery. Just try to gently move it a few times each day to help with blood flow. Walking will help but I also uses a rolled up bed sheet around the foot, held in my hands. This allowed me to lift and bend the leg 'to get it going'.

It will improve x

• Posted

thank you for your detailed information. I do have codeine with the paracetamol. Dihydrocodeine had side effects. Good tip about the rolled sheet. Good luck with your next procedure.
  • Posted

Hi David

I know exactly how you feel.  I did have a lot of discomfort with my first knee (and an MUS), but my second has been far worse (8 months now).  I woke up in pain in recovery and it has never really eased.  I had an MUA in March, but I still cannot straighten my leg, so very difficult to walk.  Consultant thinks that it's excess scar tissue, but he said that you can't really operate again until nearer the year anniversary.

I'm sure that yours is just normal recovery, as it's still early days isn't it.

It's such a difficult operation!

Patsy

• Posted

I used a walker and would walk several times a day at first--just in my house.  Then would walk up and down my lane.  My PT suggested a couple of exercises that work when your leg is resting.  One of my challenges was that the muscles in my calves and thighs would knot up--making more pain.  My PT has me use a rolling pin on those.  Believe it or not, the pain lessons.  I'm at 5 weeks today, but still on pain meds.  Trying to hang in there, too.
    • Posted

thank you interesting conmment. Hope all gets better quickly.
  • Posted

David, everything sounds normal here (I had a bilateral TKR 7 months ago). I hate to suggest it, but could age be a factor in why you are feeling more discomfort? If not, I love the idea that in another 4.5 years, I won't remember this painful time. cheesygrin You should have hit that turning point or will soon, where things start feeling a little more bearable. At 6 weeks I took a 4 hour train trip solo and was walking up stairs. I was also able to start driving my two-wheeler (110 moped bike). And I'm a bit jealous of the drugs you are getting. I had Ultracet and that was it from the time I was discharged. I no longer think I have a high tolerance for pain...I openly admit I was a wimp. I think your surgeon is onto something about the walking. And what are you doing for exercises? Stretches really helped me, mostly while sitting on my bed, legs straight out in front of me and I would straighten my legs, locking my knees and lift the feet off the bed as high as I could and hold it (still do these regulary). And then reach down and touch your toes, bringing our head to your knees. Do several sets of these, holding each for about 10 seconds. And the next one try to get a little closer to touching your head to you knees or grabbing your toes. Personally, I think those helped stretch out my muscles so nicely.
    • Posted

almost certainly correct about the age! Thank you, interesting points about exercising, which I will emulate, although certain ones given on discharge, of course. It is easy to get impatient but everyone will agree that if there is pain there you are less inclined to stretch yourself. We will try harder!
  • Posted

We are all so different. Even two similar operations on the same person can be different as you are finding out.

Hope this settles down for you.

I agree 2 hips and 2 knees in 5 years is a bit much,no tsure that I could handle that.

I have only had one TKR so far and that was 3 years ago.

Totally successful fortunately.

I had trouble sleeping too and could ot get comfortable but this did settle down eventually.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you for good wishes, we will see, as long as the end result is satisfactory, I suppose we should be happy then.
  • Posted

Hi David,  12 weeks PO on sencond knee ( age 75), first 8 years ago and I also don't recall any problems.  This one I had infection, two lots of antibiotics then an anti inflamatory which helped a great deal.  Sleeping is the worst, I even woke and iced the knee to try and get some relief. Pillow between legs, and about 6/7 weeks you should be able to turn onto your side.  I couldn't sleep on my back at all, bed looked like mountains with pillows at the head and also for elevating legs!  Still can't sleep, woke 5 times last night and gave up at 5am...got up and went to massage my leg which I do every morning and a couple of times a day.

• Posted

Oh dear, I am doing a lot better then, hope you improve more quickly. I find ice helps but not a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.