Can't seem to help myself

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all - I'm also new to this so bear with me...I've had depression on and off now for over 10 years. I have previously sought help and am on Sertraline (50mg). However, I've really been struggling to find a solution that works. The medication initially took the edge off but I know I need longer term CBT and support. The problem is that I've tried the NHS and the waiting list is too long and the private ones are extortionate - so I've avoided all help for a while as i just don't have the energy/motivation to find a solution long term. Its frustrating as I just feel I could do so much more with my life if I could just get out of this fog. I wondered if anyone has any good tips in terms of what really works and whether it really is worth spending money on private help. I'm trying to do all the other things right - I exercise a lot, I'm doing yoga and 'trying' to be as sociable as I can be but its all just too much like hard work and I'm scared that the rest of my life will continue like this.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How ill do you think you are at the moment and do you think it would be worth spending out on private treatment?  on a scale of 1 to 10

richard

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - Its up and down but I'd say 6. I can just about keep things together but I feel its a constant battle. I have already spent a fair bit on private treatment but the therapists have all said it needs a longer term approach so that's going to be a lot of money - which adds to my stress.
  • Posted

Hi....

have you looked on YouTube. They do guided meditations/relaxation for mind,body and soul or whatever you feel you need help with.

It's my new thing that I'm telling everybody about because they are working wonders for me right now and believe me when I say,I was in a bad way.

I'm on medication and waiting for CBT but these audits really work great for sending the messages to our minds that we don't always have the strength to do ourselves xxx

You are doing great by the way,,,getting out and trying new things. Eventually all these things will connect and you will see that you are doing ok xx

• Posted

Hi I tried that today like a constant noise beat was hard to listen to the a music one couldn't get into it also i saw one to lift your mood glad works for you so many and types though ?
    • Posted

Some don't have music Nick. Some are just speaking. I find them especially beneficial as I. Going to sleep xx
  • Posted

Hello zendog I'm feel your frustration I have also fought depression for many years. I was prescribed prozac it alone did not help me I would get stuck in the funk lots of times and its a terrible feeling I was not financially able to seek other means. The way things are these days I don't know if I should throw this out there but here it goes lots, and lots of prayer is what truely help me I don't even take my prozac anymore. I'm not gonna say I never get down and out that would be a lie but I find its easier to shake it off. Good luck to you sorry if I offended you or anyone else reading this.
  • Posted

Hello zen, hope you're having a good day today

I'm only 18 and have only had 'depression for 2 years' but it got to the point where I would hear voices telling me to just leave and move away, they were very hard to resist, and i'm not going to do what everyother person who has not had experiance with depression does and say don't worry it will get better, it will ofcourse but until it does it will be very hard, you'll have some good days but then you'll have those real horrible days where you want to lock yourself away and just sleep all day.

Now away from the negative stuff and maybe to the stuff that hopefully can help you. I for almost a year went to a youth counciller, he was great, for that hour i was with him that is, as soon as i left it all came rushing back faster than ever. Talking is good, it's hard to find people to talk to about it but it's not to hard just to chat, to anyone about anything a friend a family member or a complete stranger online. Talking about films, music or any interests will help take your mind off of it.

I'm yet to find out what initially caused me so much upset but If you know what has caused you or causes you to feel this way, you really have to face it head on. I know it's easier said that done but that can really help you in the long run.

I was once told to do something everyday that scared me, not like a fear but something I was scared to do, So i started off by just smiling in stangers directions (especially at pretty women) when they smile back it makes you feel a little easier, maybe strike up some small talk next time you get your hair cut or with someone at a bus stop?

I myself hated the medication, they just hid everthing and that was one of the reasons I got as bad as i did because I just hid it all away until I exploded basically and ended up moving out, which now I realise was a stupid thing to do, I didn't think my family cared but I was so wrong and now they are here for me more than ever.  But sometimes you have to make mistaked in order to learn, That's human nature.

You say you've started yoga and trying to be socialbe and that really is a big step for anyway suffering from mental health problems. just remember to take it easy things like this cannot and should not be rushed no matter how desperate you are to be like you used to be.

Infact don't try to be like you used to be, try to be better, try to be better than you were yesterday, forget the past what is done is done I made the mistake of holding on to too much for too long.

you didn't mention your age but there will be places to go for things like councelling, I managed to find a place that is only for youths that was not nhs and did not charge, they were doing it to purely help people.

just keep doing what you are doing, live for today, enjoy all the small things. Laugh as much and as often as possible, make new friends maybe with people with similair medical conditions. Smile. Even cry, crying helps, it's a natural coping mechanism a lot of people say men should't cry... But i do, it's great and gives me some emotional release. Look for new hobbies, watch films, read books go on long walks in the middle of the night. But most of all Zen, find something that makes you smile and feel good and keep doing it, if it isn't helping you it's not worth the energy. 

Now I myself and others here on patient.info are more than willing to help you in away way we can, if you ever want to talk about anything just make a post.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey, because that's what it is, one day you will be the best version of yourself and that is the true purpose of life, to help each other, build dreams and to chase them.

enjoy the rest of your day

-Ellis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.